MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

she said "Santa's coming to town"

Is it just me or has it really gotten back about the whole Santa and Christmas thing?

Here is what happened.......................

Met a lady at the Dollhouse Show we were doing and she was complaining about Black Friday and having to take her kids with her shopping:

" I had to wait until 6 am to get the 2 kids up and ready to go Shopping ( I think they were both under 10 years old - 1 each).

Then when we get there they want to see Santa first (ya I bet they did) So we had to stand in line and wait, and wait and wait until they got to 'talk' to him.

Finally got to go shopping and each one was 'TELLING' me WHAT I should buy them for Christmas. After 3 hours I was beat and ready to go home but STILL could not find anyplace that had _______________ (some electronic gaming system) that 'boy's name here' said I had better find him for Christmas! Then she went on about how with all the running around she forgot to buy MORE wrapping paper because some of the things they 'wanted' were bigger then she had planned.

And she went on and on about it all - you get the picture-

So my point is:

IF she had to have them 'talk' to Santa (I guess to MAKE them believe in him?) Then Take them with her to 'see' what she was buying them for Christmas (after being told what to get!) and being there when she paid for everything. WHY is she going home to wrap them so it looks like Santa brought them with him on Christmas?

I just don't get it.

Remember the good old days when everything was hush, hush? AND Christmas morning was so special?

:AmishMichael2:

looks like mom is not in charge in that household...the kids are. she is in for trouble in the upcoming years....

Some parents are too into making their kids happy. They want to be their kids friend instead of their parent. Several we know through various activities let their kids do whatever they want and never correct them. Some don't back up the other parent or adult in charge when the kids doesn't get their way. They even go behind the back of the other parent or leader to do things to please the kids that they were asked not to do. I know parents that don't encourage their kids to go past their comfort level to try new things and then complain because their kid gets made fun of for being picky eaters/overweight because they don't like to go play outside/won't play games like tag with others because they don't like to run/etc.

I admit I did take 10yr old dd shopping last year and this year. HOWEVER we DID NOT buy any Santa items. We bought for others and things we needed for now like a clothes for the kids, batteries, mini-food chopper, & a steam floor cleaner for the kids new floors about to go in. We saved well over $200. DD has started a tradtion of buying herself a doll with her money. She sat and looked through the ads to find what she wanted and then stood in line for almost 2 hours to pay for it and a shirt for ds that was also for now. For us it's more about spending the time together and saving $. DH and DS even got in on it this year. We needed a tv, so they stood in line for it while us girls hit the other bargains/stores (another $300+ savings). Thank God I have good kids!!!

So my point is:

IF she had to have them 'talk' to Santa (I guess to MAKE them believe in him?) Then Take them with her to 'see' what she was buying them for Christmas (after being told what to get!) and being there when she paid for everything. WHY is she going home to wrap them so it looks like Santa brought them with him on Christmas?

I just don't get it.

Remember the good old days when everything was hush, hush? AND Christmas morning was so special?

Remember thinking the best thing in the world was the Sears&Roebuck Christmas catalog coming in the mail? My mother wasn't crazy enough to do all this "holiday" shopping if it wasn't in the toy catalog oh well :24:

oh yea the sears toy catalog was big in our household. My brothers and I were always having to wait our turn at it. And of course seeing Santa was important.

We might have wanted stuff and I know my folks always tried to give us what we wanted but if it was something different well thats what we got!

when I was `12, my brothers and I pooled our money to shop for our parents together. I still remember getting the tea pot for my mom. It was pretty special, she loved it and used it for many years. I have no memory of what we got dad, but I do remember that gift we found in a very nice store for mom.

I have to say, I have taken my kids shopping, but they were facing me in the shopping cart and always had something to keep them busy. I was able to sneak things in the back of the cart and cover them. Sometimes, when dad is deployed, thats what you have to do. But my kids was always afraid of the Santas at the store and we wrote a letter every year which changed several times, but they always knew Santa would only bring them each one thing and it couldnt be expensive and had to be something he could make up at the north pole... (Read no electronics here)

When my 3 sons were small, we started telling them that whatever Santa brought, we had to pay for it. This helped them when they started school and heard what everyone else got. Times were hard then, but they always played and played with what they got. (They didn't get so many that they got bored with their things.) At least, we had layaway way back when. They have started it up again at Walmart and Kmart, and a person wouldn't have to use a credit card if they didn't want to.

Arby, you are right. We loved those toy catalogs, just as my sons did. They would look for hours and circle pictures, knowing they couldn't have near all that they picked.Those were the days. being in West Texas, we would go out and get a cedar bush and some miseltoe, bring it home, decorate, string popcorn, make paper chains, and sing carols. Now that was fun.

Thank You all for posting NICE to know that I am not a lone on what is happening!

Maybe we should make kids go back to the 'old ways' of doing things and get rid of about half of the electric gagets they have!

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to walk up to one of them and 'Talk" instead of hearing them talking on a cellphone while the earphones are so load you can hear them from 10 feet away! AND that kid may be under 12???????????????????

my girls rarely had a choice in what they might like. Sometimes I would tell them they were getting part of their gift as clothes and they would get to go shopping - after Christmas! The Santa present was always something small, otherwise we taught them to appreciate the person who bought the gift, and that Santa was imaginary. did it spoil things for them? I don't think so - there was no big reveal that Santa isn't real and they knew that their gifts were from Mum and Dad and had nothing to do with being naughty or nice. So there was no questioning on why when they were good they got this cheap gift and the kid down the road who was a real bad egg got expensive gifts. Christmas stockings have always been a part of our Christmas, and this year Mum resigned from being the chief stocking filler person, so each person has a stocking a and a name and has to prepare the stocking for that person. and make sure that it is the mail in an appropriate time. Christmas - a time to show you care, not a time to show how much you earn!

Did have a very nice aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh moment today-

While working with Santa at the Furniture Shop (where we will be Displaying our Dollhouse this weekend) a kid came into the Christmas Room to see Santa and handed him his "list".........................

He had cut out a few things he wanted from the ads and glued them down to a piece of paper (remember the old days when we did that?) and wrote on it IF he could get theses it would be nice!

HELLO! How cool was that!

After he left I did ask Santa if he saves some of the letters from year to year (I still have a bunch from kids over the years that wrote to 'Bubbles'). Mrs. Clause said they do keep some but each year there are less and less and not many hand done like that one.

When we were little, we got one present. I remember getting up, peeking into the living room to see the tree glowing by the fireplace light, hoping not to get caught, then, with visions of wrapped presents, doing chores, (farm life).

Ohhhh, and the Sears catalogs!!! It was the highlight of the season, along with stringing popcorn and cranberries, and making paper chains. Wonderful memories.

I bugged MIL to keep all her catalogs each month, I take the time to look through all of them while I am there, then, she can throw them away. :whistling:

I always loved getting the Sears catalogs. Even when my son was small I liked to look through it for ideas.

If I had it to do over again...(famous last words) I'd tell my son that baby Jesus got three gifts from the three wise men so he could have just three gifts too.

I did tell him about Jesus! I just didn't connect the gifts to him (son).

Archived