MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Momo

TLC Cheapskate show last night

Did anyone else see this show? Most of the cheapies weren't too bad, but this one guy would take people's leftovers from their plates at restaurants. Not to take home for the dogs, but for him to eat later. Yuck. Not finger foods either..things like half a portion of spaghetti.

Did anyone else see this show? Most of the cheapies weren't too bad, but this one guy would take people's leftovers from their plates at restaurants. Not to take home for the dogs, but for him to eat later. Yuck. Not finger foods either..things like half a portion of spaghetti.

Eww! Can we say....germs!!!

I didn't know it was on.

I'd have to be awful hungry (not just cheap) to take something off a stranger's plate. You don't know where those hands and mouth have been. Or if they coughed or sneezed over it.

Or blew their nose at the table...I hate that. Excuse yourself and do that in the bathroom WHERE YOU CAN WASH YOUR FILTHY HANDS.

(small rant...I feel better now.)

Germs Galore! :yuk:

I saw parts of it. That guy was unbelievable. His wife must really love him, for some reason.

The young woman who fed her children wild greens from a park, or somewhere, concerned me. Who knows what is sprayed on the "grass", and she did tell the children to watch out for dog pooh?????

EWWWWWWW!!!!!!!

No I did not see it, and am glad I did not. Especially after seeing Mike Rowe's 'Worlds Dirtiest Man' show on Discovery.....

just EWWWWWWW!!!!!

Now ladies, don't go all squeamish on me now....was he boiling those leftovers into soup or broth? I would think that would kill the germs, if you boiled everything good & hard about 10-15 min. True the flavor would go into the broth, but isnt that the idea for soup? (I imagine the pasta would fall apart and thicken it). Would baking that pasta well kill germs too? After all, desperation dining would require desperation techniques....

Im more concerned over the fact that he is that cheap, if he doesn't HAVE to be!! I would not want him growing his own mold for penicillin!

Edited by kappydell

Well, he got his wife wilted roses out of a dumpster for their 25th anniversay and gave them to her in the restaurant in front of others. I bet he would take some moldy bread out of that dumpster and try to grown his own.

Well, he got his wife wilted roses out of a dumpster for their 25th anniversay and gave them to her in the restaurant in front of others. I bet he would take some moldy bread out of that dumpster and try to grown his own.

Some folks will do ANYTHING to get on TV. My turn to say EWWWW.

I wouldn't take somebody else's leftovers. *MAYBE* a family member's if there was a way to reheat it safely and I knew the person was healthy. But only if I was there when they ate and I knew how long the food had been sitting, etc etc etc...

SonIL has a bad habit of keeping food much longer than it's safe, and gets upset if somebody throws out "his food". It worries me with the DGS. Last week I threw out the leftovers from THANKSGIVING. I am not supposed to do that, but I figured if I brought the food, I had the right to toss it. <_<

I'm only there on Thursdays and Fridays, usually. BigDD had called me Monday night asking about the proportions to make little cocktail sausages in sauce, so I knew when she made them. *Thursday* there was a crock pot sitting on the counter with them in it. Not covered, not refrigerated, just SITTING THERE! :faint3:

I threw them out when I did the dishes. :shakinghead:

There is frugal, and then there is foolish.

The left-over snatcher dude said he is frugal so he can spend his money on his rescue dogs. I think I'd rather go door-to-door to beg for dimes instead of going table-to-table to ask for uneaten food. :shakinghead:

I saw the show. There's cheapskates, and then there's this guy. He's just miserly. Basically he spends more $ on the dogs than his wife. Priorities a bit screwed up, imho, but the wife seems to handle it ok. Better her than me. I also try to remember that the shows clip things and splice things to make things seem worse than they are, for ratings sake. I figure I'll watch it to glean info I can use, like the possibility of rags rather than TP and how one cleans them, etc. I have NO intention of walking off with someone's half finished food. yuk.gif

I wouldn't take somebody else's leftovers. *MAYBE* a family member's if there was a way to reheat it safely and I knew the person was healthy. But only if I was there when they ate and I knew how long the food had been sitting, etc etc etc...

SonIL has a bad habit of keeping food much longer than it's safe, and gets upset if somebody throws out "his food". It worries me with the DGS. Last week I threw out the leftovers from THANKSGIVING. I am not supposed to do that, but I figured if I brought the food, I had the right to toss it. dry.gif

I'm only there on Thursdays and Fridays, usually. BigDD had called me Monday night asking about the proportions to make little cocktail sausages in sauce, so I knew when she made them. *Thursday* there was a crock pot sitting on the counter with them in it. Not covered, not refrigerated, just SITTING THERE! :faint3:

I threw them out when I did the dishes. :shakinghead:

There is frugal, and then there is foolish.

Cat- if your SIL ever gets food poison, believe me this would stop. (Hopefully DIL will eventually will start throwing it out on her own or teach DGS to not eat daddy's food.) SIL bought some hamburger meat that was past date. We were camping and I made the patties. I told her that I thought it smell funny but had sinus. I ended up in the hospital for nearly a week. I never eat medium cooked hamburgers anymore and this was before they told us it was bad or to wash our hands thoroughly before doing something else.

Well done for me.

Edited by AMarthaByHeart

My DD wouldn't feed DGS "Daddy's food", but Daddy might. :(

He's had health problems in the past related to his heart, I *think*, so you'd think he'd be careful. But the way he grew up, food was food and you didn't throw it out.

And I doubt he would even think it was food poisoning, but figure it was the flu.

I don't get TLC, so cannot watch the show, but I think it is interesting to think about HOW to SAFELY use "used food" for survival purposes. I don't plan on ever having to do that, but if one were caught in a SHTF situation away from the homestead (or if you live in a city), it might help to figure out how you would attempt to survive if that is what you had to eat.

Maybe that's a topic for The Edge, though. :happy0203:

Anyhow, I'm pretty frugal, but that activity is more of a desperate strategy than a good frugal activity. That the show displays that as "frugality" says more about the quality of the show than anything else. TV is for selling us crap. If you don't make fun of frugality and make it out to be gross and extreme, you'll upset advertisers and lose money. TV stations don't like to lose money. So show us that frugality is disgusting and then sell us crap. :sheep:

saw the show,, thought some of it went overboard, for example that man who took from others in the restaurant, and the dead flowers...but I leave food out sometimes too. My father is a DR and always did too, but grew up during in the war when you didn't throw out anything. I leave veggies and fruits out, and eggs, my DH always freaks out... He won't even eat refrigerated left overs from monday nights dinner for lunch on tuesday...

I won't go as far as my Father who has broken a glass jar of instant coffee then swept it all up and used it to make coffee even with possible bits of glass in it, but I will eat something that has by accident been left out overnight. I just cook it again really well in the morning to kill whatever could be growing. You know in a SHTF scenario, you may not be able to refrigerate everything immediately...

Good food safety is still important to learn and to know.

In a SHTF scenario the last thing you need is a health emergency that is preventable. :(

In the old days, they'd just keep a pot cooking on the stove all the time, keeping it hot and safe, and tossing in more scraps as wanted/needed.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.