MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
furbabymom

Ground Cherries

I was just going through my seed catalog, planning out this year's garden. I try to plant one new thing every year, and I ran across ground cherries. I've never heard of them, but they sound interesting - does anyone grow them? I read online that they can be self-seeding, so I'm wondering if I could grow them in a half-barrel to try to keep them contained from year to year?

They are a nice novelty crop - they do taste nice, and peeling the husks off to eat them was always good fun at Grandmas. They self seed very easily - like cherry tomatoes, any you drop or squash will seed more for next year. The half-barrel should work as long as you don't drop any elsewhere! Would you like me to go look up my recipe for ground cherry pie?

Edited by kappydell

They are a nice novelty crop - they do taste nice, and peeling the husks off to eat them was always good fun at Grandmas. They self seed very easily - like cherry tomatoes, any you drop or squash will seed more for next year. The half-barrel should work as long as you don't drop any elsewhere! Would you like me to go look up my recipe for ground cherry pie?

I'd love a recipe for ground cherry pie! Thanks!

Here are some ground cherry recipes I have enjoyed:

GROUND CHERRY PIE

2 1/2 cups ground cherries

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons water

1 (9 inch) pie shell

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

3 tablespoons white sugar

2 tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).

Wash ground cherries and place in unbaked pie shell. Mix brown sugar and 1 tablespoon flour and sprinkle over cherries. Sprinkle water over top. Mix together 3 tablespoons flour and 3 tablespoons sugar. Cut butter in until crumbly. Top cherry mixture with crumbs.

Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, reduce temperature to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and continue to bake for 25 minutes.

This was fast and easy. Grandma would leave out the crust, and make a topping same as for Apple Crisp, using the same filling as this pie. She loved crisps, I think she had dietary restrictions that made 'crisps' more allowable than 'crusts'.

GROUND CHERRY PIE

Pastry for two crust 8 inch pie

2 1/2 c. ground cherries

3 tbsp. flour

1 c. sugar

1/8 tsp. salt

1 tbsp. butter

Mix dry ingredients. Put 1/2 in bottom crust. Fill with ground cherries. Put remaining dry ingredients on top. Dot with butter. Put on top crust. Bake 10 minutes at 450 degrees, and 40 minutes at 350 degrees. This is from an old recipe book.

GROUND CHERRY SALSA

1/2 pint of Ground Cherries, each one halved

1/4 Red Onion, diced

1/4 jalapeno, diced

Cilantro, chopped

Red Bell Pepper, diced

Very *small* squeeze Lime Juice

Roughly a teaspoon or two Extra Virgin Olive oil

Very *small* pinch Salt

Mix everything together and let sit for 30 minutes so the flavors can come together. Do not overdue it with the salt or lime; the small amount of salt is only needed to draw out liquid from the cherries so they can mix with the olive oil and lime juice. This makes a very chunky 'salsa' almost like a salad.

Grandma also made a ground-cherry relish, but I cant find her recipe. (Maybe try one for green tomatoes?) Anyway, these should get you started.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.