MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Rest In Peace, OldMaineBear...

Today OldMaineBear's family is having a Celebration of his life in their Native traditions. His daughter has posted this:

GEORGE THUNDER BEAR: A LIFE CELEBRATED

Friends Event · By Wendy Mitchell Little Bear

Today

1:00pm until 9:00pm

On Sunday September 30, 2012 at 10:00am, my brother Scott Mitchell and I will be hosting a Celebration of Life for our father George Thunder Bear.

The celebration will start at Daddy's favorite location; Birch Stream Bridge. This part of his celebration will be a mix of traditional Native ceremonies as well as honoring his Scottish bloodline with the bagpipes being played by a longtime family friend. As this part comes to an end my brother and I will take Daddy for his last canoe ride down the river he so loved; the mighty Penobscot. Anyone wishing to join us may also bring their canoes/boats/kayaks and join us on the paddle down to the Reservation’s boat landing.

At 1:00pm we will gather with family and friends at the Penobscot Indian Reservation’s Community Building for food, laughter, stories and tears. (Anyone wishing to bring a dish please make sure your name is located on the container so it can be returned to you.) Our father was all about family and friends so I hope that we can all help those who did not know him as well fully understand what an wonderful man we all have lost!

At sunset (about 6:00pm) we will gather at the boat landing for a Sacred Fire to give Daddy a proper sendoff on his journey to our ancestors! A sendoff that he should have been given long before now!

Thank-You,

Wendy Mitchell Little Bear

Itinerary of Events @ Birch Stream Bridge

10:00am - 11:00am

Ø Smudging of Family and Friends

Ø Traditional Service

Ø Reading of Poem

Ø Blessing of Canoes and Paddlers

Ø Bag Pipes Playing The Black Bear Tattoo

Ø Canoe downriver to Reservation boat landing

Itinerary of Events @ Penobscot Indian Nation’s Community Building

1:00pm - 4:00pm

Ø Pot Luck Dinner

Ø Memorial Video

Ø Speakers & Letter’s from Friends.

Sunset Service @ Sacred Fire Circle, Penobscot Indian Nation

6:00pm

Ø Tobacco Offering

Ø Sending Bear off on his Journey

Ø Warrior’s Song, Drumming and Dance.

Ø Drumming, Dancing and Singing

Indian Island

Old Town, Maine

View Map · Get Directions

I just thought it was a nice time to think kindly of our friend, and wish his family well. :wub:

Thank you Cat. I will be adding my thoughts and prayers today.

Today OldMaineBear's family is having a Celebration of his life in their Native traditions. His daughter has posted this:

GEORGE THUNDER BEAR: A LIFE CELEBRATED

Friends Event · By Wendy Mitchell Little Bear

Today

1:00pm until 9:00pm

On Sunday September 30, 2012 at 10:00am, my brother Scott Mitchell and I will be hosting a Celebration of Life for our father George Thunder Bear.

The celebration will start at Daddy's favorite location; Birch Stream Bridge. This part of his celebration will be a mix of traditional Native ceremonies as well as honoring his Scottish bloodline with the bagpipes being played by a longtime family friend. As this part comes to an end my brother and I will take Daddy for his last canoe ride down the river he so loved; the mighty Penobscot. Anyone wishing to join us may also bring their canoes/boats/kayaks and join us on the paddle down to the Reservation's boat landing.

At 1:00pm we will gather with family and friends at the Penobscot Indian Reservation's Community Building for food, laughter, stories and tears. (Anyone wishing to bring a dish please make sure your name is located on the container so it can be returned to you.) Our father was all about family and friends so I hope that we can all help those who did not know him as well fully understand what an wonderful man we all have lost!

At sunset (about 6:00pm) we will gather at the boat landing for a Sacred Fire to give Daddy a proper sendoff on his journey to our ancestors! A sendoff that he should have been given long before now!

Thank-You,

Wendy Mitchell Little Bear

Itinerary of Events @ Birch Stream Bridge

10:00am - 11:00am

Ø Traditional Service

Ø Reading of Poem

Ø Blessing of Canoes and Paddlers

Ø Bag Pipes Playing The Black Bear Tattoo

Ø Canoe downriver to Reservation boat landing

Itinerary of Events @ Penobscot Indian Nation's Community Building

1:00pm - 4:00pm

Ø Pot Luck Dinner

Ø Memorial Video

Ø Speakers & Letter's from Friends.

Sunset Service @ Sacred Fire Circle, Penobscot Indian Nation

6:00pm

Ø Tobacco Offering

Ø Sending Bear off on his Journey

Ø Warrior's Song, Drumming and Dance.

Ø Drumming, Dancing and Singing

Indian Island

Old Town, Maine

View Map · Get Directions

I just thought it was a nice time to think kindly of our friend, and wish his family well. :wub:

Oh my dear friend Bear! I do miss you. I did not see this notice of the celebration of your life until late tonight. I have been restless and unable to sleep. Wish you were around to chat pistols with...I think you'd like and understand my plan.

If I could've attended your celebration, I would've been honored to be there and meet your family and friends.

Rest easy my friend, for I am sure your soul is safe with the Great Spirit, our Lord God.