MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cleaning Rags - ways to save money in 2012

I just cut my roll in half with a kitchen knife...The cut end came out kind of rough (Maybe I should have used a better knife?) At any rate, I put half a roll on the paper towel holder and it looked ridiculous! :cheeky-smiley-067: It was barely taller than a roll of toilet paper. I knew that my family was going to laugh at me so I threw the second half of the roll on top so that from a distance, it appears to be the normal size. I do think that this will work for us, though. It just was so funny to see a roll of "toilet paper" next to the kitchen sink! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Lol Martian, having been to a few UK survivalists meets, nr 1 lesson was in sharpening knifes. And you talking about sawing the paper roll in half triggers a memory.

As an avid knife collector, I take pleasure in keeping things sharp. And the kitchen knifes... would probably not pass that test either.

Guess today will be dedicated to the kitchen knifes and their ability to cut a piece of paper in half. Thanks for reminding me.

• 3 weeks later...

I use microfiber cloths for cleaning and dusting. For floor cleaning, I crocheted and/or knitted some rags to go on my Swiffer-Type dustmop. When they get dirty, I throw them in the washing machine. I do the same for the microfiber cloths. I also use my handmade soap to wash the greasy cloths with. You will not believe how well it cleans and cuts grease! I keep a bar on my kitchen sink for greasy hands and other things.

I just cut my roll in half with a kitchen knife...The cut end came out kind of rough (Maybe I should have used a better knife?) At any rate, I put half a roll on the paper towel holder and it looked ridiculous! :cheeky-smiley-067: It was barely taller than a roll of toilet paper. I knew that my family was going to laugh at me so I threw the second half of the roll on top so that from a distance, it appears to be the normal size. I do think that this will work for us, though. It just was so funny to see a roll of "toilet paper" next to the kitchen sink! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

.................... just give them time and before long it will look 'normal' and become a every day thing.

I may 'try' this with the pick a size as then I would have squares that are about 6 inches x 6 inches. Might work well for small clean-ups?

Now where did I put my electric chainsaw? :shrug:

:AmishMichael2:

• 1 month later...

We use rags all over the house/farm. Mostly tee shirts that have outlived their 'wear-ability' but also some terry cloth as well. There'a a bin of them on an easily accessible shelf in the kitchen for everyday use. When dirty, they go into the laundry. DH has a bag of them in the barn/shop. He usually stores them up and washes a whole load at once. If too nasty or greasy, they go into the burn barrel.

We do have a roll of the pick-a-size paper towels in the kitchen, but it probably lasts us 5-6 months. When I do have the rare occasion to use a paper towel, I often tear it in half and leave the other half draped over the roll. I have found that it usually all I need to clean up whatever I'm doing. There is an 8-pack of pick-a-size towels in the pantry and that will probably last us a couple of years if things stay the same.

Long ago, I broke DH of the habit of using a full size paper towel as a napkin at each and every meal. Bowl of cereal - paper towel. Sandwich - paper towel. Pop Tarts (when he used to eat those) - paper towel. And that's all it was, a habit. I found some wonderfully absorbent cloth napkins (not that tight weave, non-absorbing, poly-blend stuff) at the thrift shop and we use those extensively. It was a set of 7 or 8, so I even use them on the rare occasion that someone else is eating with us.

Just went to a rummage sale for their 'Bag Sale Day" and got a lot of t-shirts, hand towels and cloth to bring home and make into rags! Just about filled that paper bag and it cost $2.00 for them all. I also found a few other things to put in the bag so I spent about $1.00 for them.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

DH and I were just talking about using less paper towels just the other day. We started hanging a kitchen towel over the paper towels on the holder and that is reminding us to use a towel instead of the paper. We don't use a lot of them anyway, maybe a roll every couple of weeks but that still adds up. I like the idea of the cheap white washcloths for cleaning. I do have some rags in a cabinet over my washer and I use them pretty often. The only thing I have trouble with is greasy messes. Hate to clean them with a rag because I don't want to wash it with other laundry. But guess I do need to just wash them out in the sink...... need to remind myself to think things through more before grabbing that paper towel.

Trying to break DH, uses them for a napkin, and DD and DS1 of using them all of the time, too. I gave some receiving blankets to the rag bin when I was sorting through the nursery. I use old bath towels, too, when they start wearing thin. I cut them to the size I need and keep them in a bin.