MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Making HomeMade Soap?

Debbie J

• 2 weeks later...

Do any of you make your own homemade soap? And if so, do you us the HP or CP method?

I have made it and love it!

I make all our soap and toiletries. I like the hot process method. Too impatient to let it age and hot process you get to use it sooner.

Is it cost effective to make soap homemade? I really want to learn how to do this but it seems to me that it may be expensive. What do you think? I have been trying to eliminate toxins in our house, I have switched to natural homemade cleaners and I have been experimenting with my own homemade shampoo but the castile soap I use to make it is expensive! All natural soaps are expensive......... So is it more affordable to make myself.

Yes, it is very cost effective to make your own soap. Of course that is not true if you insist on expensive essential oils and fancy stuff. I normally use plain old shortening and lye. It works well for everything. I even shampoo our hair with it. The same soap washes dishes and I use it in the laundry along with borax and washing soda. I cannot use any commercial laundry detergents, shampoo or soap because of allergies.