MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ladyblu72

Need vegetable ideas to grow in this box

We might need to know what your plans are for it. Will you be using it inside now with either a very bright window or perhaps lights? Will it be in a cool area or will you be having it in a room temperature setting?

Cool settings, with enough light will easily grow lots of greens. Lettuce, spinach, kale, collards, chard, radishes, peas, and the likes. Most of those, if they are held over into warmer temps will go to seed fairly fast but are great for fresh eating as the leaves get large enough.

Warm setting you still will be able to grow some of those but you might also get a head start on warm weather crops like peppers, tomatoes, cukes and etc.

If this box will be in a permanent place inside where it won't freeze you could even consider growing one or two of the tropical fruit trees or vines. Avocados are another possibility or kiwi.

You could do the square foot gardening thing with it, making sure the soil was well balanced, and plant at least four different sections of it with something that was symbiotic. Lettuce, radishes, beets for greens, maybe a climbing spinach on a trellis at the back, even a strawberry plant or two....

What fun just thinking of the possibiities... :happy0203: Let us know what you decide on....

:bighug2:

What Mother asked is good, so I will go in another direction................

Did you make it or get it from some place that has more?

It is too nice to just use as a planter box for vegetables so I would put it outside in front yard and make it a flower box with a spike in the middle and other flowers around that with some kind of vine hanging over the sides?

Got more wood like that - make a roof for it so it looks like a well? Or

IF you got more wood I would make a top for it on hinges and use it as a box for garden tools or store stuff in it?

now it looks to be some kind of shipping crate so it is no going to last long outside (cheap wood most of the time) so you have to cover it with some kind of finish to make it last longer and put a liner in it so whatever you plant in it will not rot it out from the inside.

Or stand it on end to hold firewood for you outside fires? one piece across the middle and you have a book case? I could go on and on and on but let's no for now. LOL

:AmishMichael2:

A container is a great way to start a garden ! --If you plant it with salad greens, then you can get a couple of plantings in before fall. Very easy to do. When you have harvested your container, simply turn around and plant more in it.

A mix of greens and you have ready-made salad all summer and into fall. I would stay away from any deep rooted plants, because your container is only 11" deep.

we made a couple of boxes like that and set them higher with legs. We then used a weed mat cloth to line the boxes, that way the moisture could get through but the soil did not fall out the bottom. I am still deciding if the mat needs a couple of extra drain holes. There is a gap between the floor slats of about a pencil thickness. We used the square foot gardening mix for soil, and to be honest it was disappointing. the carrots were in for 3 months and only tiny little things, beetroot didn't fare any better, and leeks grew too slow, they went to wood before they developed any thickness. The 2nd box we used more manure and had better results. We moved it further away from the house, we planted beans and had a lovely crop. we have just finished picking from the 1st plants after 7-8 weeks, and the 2nd lot are flowering. I had originally thought tomatoes and zuchinni's, but used pots for those plants instead. I would like to put a lettuce mixture in to the gaps I have. The most important thing is to grow what you will eat, and what costs a lot in the shops. If you have access to cheap carrots, then grow something different.

Have fun! I hope we see more pictures of them full of vegetables!