MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Tide Thefts

I don't know wether to be upset with P&G for charging so much that this could be thought of or to be scared because people are resorting to it. :/

Nationwide Thefts of Tide Laundry Detergent Baffle Police

Updated: Monday, 12 Mar 2012, 1:39 PM EDT

Published : Monday, 12 Mar 2012, 1:28 PM EDT

(The Daily) - Law enforcement officials across the country have been left baffled by a crime wave targeting an unlikely item -- Tide laundry detergent.

Theft of Tide detergent has become so rampant that some cities are setting up special task forces to stop it and retailers like CVS are taking special security precautions to lock down the liquid.

One Tide thief in West St. Paul, Minn., stole $25,000 of the product over 15 months before he was arrested last year.

"That was unique that he stole so much soap," said West St. Paul Police Chief Bud Shaver.

"The name brand is [all] Tide. Amazing, huh?"

Tide has become a form of currency on the streets. The retail price is steadily high -- roughly $10 to $20 a bottle -- and it's a staple in households across socioeconomic classes.

Tide can go for $5 to $10 a bottle on the black market, authorities say, and some thieves even resell it to stores.

"There's no serial numbers and it's impossible to track," said Detective Larry Patterson of the Somerset, Ky., Police Department, where authorities have seen a huge spike in Tide theft. "It's the item to steal."

Police say thieves target the Procter & Gamble detergent because it is the most popular and, with its Day-Glo orange logo, the most recognizable.

George Cohen, spokesman for Philadelphia-based Checkpoint Systems, which produces alarms being tested on Tide in CVS stores, said, "Name brands are easier to resell.

"In organized retail crimes they would love to steal the iPad. It's very easy to sell. Harder to sell the unknown Korean brand."

Most thieves load carts with dozens of bottles, then dash out the door. Many have getaway cars waiting outside.

"These are criminals coming into the store to steal thousands of dollars of merchandise," said Detective Harrison Sprague of the Prince George's County, Md., Police Department, where Tide is known as "liquid gold" among officers.

He and other law enforcement officials across the country say Tide theft is connected to the drug trade.

"We sent in an informant to buy drugs," Sprague said. "The dealer said, 'I don't have drugs, but I could sell you 15 bottles of Tide.'"

Police in Gresham, Ore., said most Tide theft is perpetrated by "users feeding their habit."

"They'll do it right in front of a cop car -- buying heroin or methamphetamine with Tide," said Detective Rick Blake of the Gresham Police Department. "We would see people walking down the road with six, seven bottles of Tide. They were so blatant about it."

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpps/news/offbeat/nationwide-thefts-of-tide-laundry-detergent-baffle-police-dpgonc-20120312-fc_18491018

I was going to post about this too. I was going to ask if it was real or if I was hearing wrong. I heard it on the radio tonight. I Googled and they said it is being used as currancy to buy drugs because it can't be traced by serial numbers etc.

Kinda hard to imagine someone would take some Tide in exchange for some meth? I have some Tide. Wonder if I could score a trade with Honeyville. Mountain House in the back alley of Sunset and Vine at midnight; you bring a #10 can of carrots, I've got an ounce of Tide.

I'm nuts.

wow. well, Tide is a great detergent as far as modern detergents go. lol. so they can have clean clothes too I guess?

( believe me if its meth they are using, thats a good idea cause meth makes the body stink like garbage anyway. )

but still, so going in to stores, loading up carts and rushing out the store with them.... full of tide.

very rude .

then using the tide to get the drugs. Well its a big object so you would not necessarily see the drugs passed with it.

I sat here watching some 'activity' going on across the creek on Saturday but I could tell it wasn't social calls. But they were not carrying in bottles of tide. Or carrying them out.

Yet. If I see that then I will KNOW whats going on for sure. Actually I do know because of the reputation of whoever has lived there. Guess its time for the cops to have a note dropped again.

:blink: ....um, my first thot was like Michael's. What are they 'cooking up' with Tide?????? Yet another way to abuse one's body? Cuz...black market detergent is just tooooo out there.

Isn't it? :unsure:

MtRider [.....don't mind me :banghead: it's just too strange out there in the so-called real world ]

Good Morning America just ran this and confirmed my first reaction to this article. Drug dealers are making more $$ selling Tide on the black market than selling drugs. There was a drug house busted in New Jersey where they found more Tide than drugs. I looked on ebay and 50oz bottles are going from $15-20 including shipping. I suspect the black market for Tide is there because it's ridiculously overpriced to the point of being a status symbol, much like the $300 tennis shoes people were killilng over so they could have a pair. I learned from doing a violence prevention program in an inner city school that the parents know the teachers will provide for the kids so they give the $ to the kids to buy ice cream at lunch so they can feel/look normal. The same with using grocery/bill money for electronics, fashionable clothes, etc. I think with the way the economy is and the high cost of many things, there will be black markets for more and more things - some we might not ever think of buying underground like with the Tide. That's why I chose Are You Really Ready for this article.

Edited by windmorn

That was my understanding. They aren't using it to make drugs, it is just that they can sell it for half retail since they get it for 'free' by stealing.

I haven't used detergent in yrs, I'm allergic to all of it. I make my own with washing soda, borax and home made lye soap.

Among suburban housewives, Tide and Surf detergents are like laundry room status symbols. Their scents are recognizable, and the bottles are obnoxiously obvious in someone's shopping cart. It's like saying, "Look at ME!!!!! I have enough money to blow 20 bucks on laundry detergent!!!"

I use the Costco brand stuff. It cleans just as good and it's cheap as dirt. ;)

Cracks me up that drug dealers are finding it more lucrative to sell stolen Tide than drugs. It's a better habit...gives a whole new meaning to getting off your habit and "getting CLEAN!" :cheeky-smiley-067: (sorry, I just couldn't help myself!)

Man, maybe I need to take a trip down the laundry detergent aisle. The last time I bought any - Tide - was almost 3 years ago, and I know it was under $5 a bottle. Good thing my cabinets are still full because if it's that expensive, I'll never be able to afford it again. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

LAUNDRY STATUS SYMBOLS....... :banghead::0327:

Y'know, sometimes I think this country NEEDS to go thru some Hard Times and get real. Sheeeeeeeeeesh!

MtRider [ status symbol 'round here is making your own soap and being smart enough to learn how to do laundry without electricity. :clothesline: I like our way better!!! ]

Laundry status symbols????? Are you serious??!!?? Good grief! No wonder people are in the financial messes they are in!!

My first thought was they were using it for drugs of some sort, but a status symbol? Some people are so ridiculous!!!

Edited by Fullpantry

I know a lot of people that will only use Tide detergent. I would bet that most of them wouldn't really care where it came from as long as they could find it cheaper. I cut out Tide coupons for friends, though I don't use it myself. I used to use whatever was on sale until my daughter developed an allergy to something that is in a lot of detergents. After that I could only use Arm & Hammer or the homemade kind.

:shrug: What else could you expect from a society that demands specific labels on clothing, and even the Welfare recipients carry the latest, best telephones? Those things don't appeal to me at all (as you'd see if you saw me in person :ashamed0002: ), and *people* are more important to me than what they wear or carry.

What a world we have become. :behindsofa:

America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within.

Josef Stalin

So I saw this yesterday here & had to make sure it wasn't a joke. I googled searched it to see if they were using it to make a new drug. We were on our homeschool field trip this morning and one of the moms mentioned it, too. It's crazy!!!

:shrug: What else could you expect from a society that demands specific labels on clothing, and even the Welfare recipients carry the latest, best telephones? Those things don't appeal to me at all (as you'd see if you saw me in person :ashamed0002: ), and *people* are more important to me than what they wear or carry.

What a world we have become. :behindsofa:

Dang- putting the detergent behind locked glass doors like they do with cosmetics is gonna be expensive to do...

Looking back at my childhood, there were plenty of times when my parents were BROKE, but we never thought ourselves POOR. The bills got paid, access to medical care was (mostly) there as needed, and there were plenty of books and lots to do outdoors. Not much junk food, absolutely no "designer" clothes. I didn't really care about name brands on my clothes anyway. Before I understood the concept of "the wrong side of the tracks," kids at school living in the trailers or the slummy houses gave me all sorts of crap about not having brand names on my clothes.

Later on I realized just how much on the defensive they felt, as I lived in the "nice" neighborhood. It was probably the only facet on which they could feel "superior."

Not all the kids in low income families behaved that way- MOST of the kids in my school got the free lunch or were close to qualifying for it. I think one of the greatest luxuries to be found in our messed-up culture is being able to ignore class.

When I showed this thread to my husband, he said that there was an honest way to make money out of the brand obsession:

-Go to a warehouse store and get a bunch of biiiig bottles of Tide

-Get lots of small Tide bottles, fill them from the big bottle and sell them to people splitting the cost difference.

-A LESS honest approach would be to get small bottles from the "Free and Clear" variety, buy big bottles of the house brand detergent, and fill from that instead (bigger profit margin). Not very nice, but worlds better than shoplifting the stuff.

Then again, if you are brand-obsessed but schlepping your wash down to an apartment complex laundry room (or the laundromat) just keep a small branded bottle and fill with the generic.

Though if you absolutely, positively can't think past having a certain brand of cleaners...you've got bigger problems to address.

My Oldest has an allergy to something that is in a lot of detergents too. She can only use Arm & Hammer. She hasn't used the homemade kind so I don't know how she reacts to that, I LOVE the homemade kind would not go back to using anything else. I did read some where that Arm & Hammer is the cloeset to home made that you can buy.

When I was Pregnant with her the smell of Tide made me so sick there was no way I could use it.

Cat, you're down to earth. My kinda of people.

Edited by gofish

Makes me think of the 'ladies' who visit the cemetery after a funeral to get flowers to decorate for their social affairs. (I knew a florist very well when I lived in MS and he told me that is what they were doing.)

Some people care too much what other people think.

shoot - a friend gave me some clothes he'd outgrown and I had to wash them 4-5 times to get the stink out of them - the stink of some laundry detergent perfume.

I use All - free & clear - it's about $6 for a 3x concentrate, good I think for 50 loads. And I don't smell like perfume or get skin reactions to whatever other strange chemicals are in the regular stuff.