MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mt_Rider

Just bought 80 FREE ebooks

:bounce::woohoo::cloud9::curtsey::pc_coffee::darlenedance:

Thank you all here for mentioning that I could download a Kindle program for my PC AND get hordes of FREE ebooks. :cloud9:

I finally got around to trying it tonite and ... <_< sure enough, I had to have DH's help. BUT IT WORKED! :happy0203:

I sat here and downloaded literally 80 free books. Lots of old ones that are now in 'public domain'. :wub:

Y'all know they have a T-shirt that says: So many books; so little time. That's ME!

Now if I can just figure out how to get them onto the iPod that I've had sitting around [a gift] for 2.5 YEARS... But I have downloaded ONE book successfully onto that - an audio one!

MtRider ...trudging slowly into the Tech World :unsure:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Download the kindle app on your ipod first, and then log in with your amazon info. Apple changed the way you can get books.I know you can't purchase from the app anymore and have to go to amazon to purchase books. When you purchase a new one after you have logged in on our ipod it should show up in the drop down close to the purchase button that allows you to pick where you want to send the book. If I remember correctly you can't access your library from your ipod and have to go to your account online and send them to your ipod. To do that go to your account. Then manage your kindle and it will ask you to sign in. The next page should be your library and under actions, you can pick deliver to and it will open a little window that will let you choose from another drop down which device you want to send it to. Pick your ipod and the next time you open the kindle app on it, the book(s) will download.

Hope that's not too confusing.

....... you are going to just make me go out and get a nook / kindle aren't you!

Sometimes I do miss not being able to read the old books without sitting here at the computer! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I haven't invested in a Nook or a Kindle yet, either. I do have the downloaded software on my PC but have not read a single one of the books that I downloaded yet. So many books, too little time!

I have 2811 ebooks for my Kindles. Might have paid something (ranging from .25 to 14.99 for about 25 or so). Swagbucks is a great way to earn points towards free Amazon giftcards. 450 points can get you a $5 gift certificate.

I started out reading ebooks on my iPod Touch, then moved to Kindle for PC and Nook for Pc. After getting hundreds of free ebooks, it's easy to justify the cost of a Kindle or Nook. All the money you're saving on reading materials!

Download the kindle app on your ipod first, and then log in with your amazon info. Apple changed the way you can get books.I know you can't purchase from the app anymore and have to go to amazon to purchase books. When you purchase a new one after you have logged in on our ipod it should show up in the drop down close to the purchase button that allows you to pick where you want to send the book. If I remember correctly you can't access your library from your ipod and have to go to your account online and send them to your ipod. To do that go to your account. Then manage your kindle and it will ask you to sign in. The next page should be your library and under actions, you can pick deliver to and it will open a little window that will let you choose from another drop down which device you want to send it to. Pick your ipod and the next time you open the kindle app on it, the book(s) will download.

Hope that's not too confusing.

:wacko:

:lol:

Thanks Windmorn....uh, I'm gonna have to walk that one thru s l o w l y..... :unsure:

MtRider :pc_coffee: Been reading The Secret Garden all day...

I started out with the free Kindle on the PC. Loved it. Then my son bought me a Kindle for Christmas...love it even more.

Tiger, I'm glad to hear you have that many books on Kindle. I have over 700 books loaded and was afraid I might be running out of room. Most of my downloads were free too. Of all the books I have on there, I've probably only spent about $30.00 so far.

I do delete most of the free ones after I read them though to save space and clean up the... humm, what do you call a Kindle desk top/screen?

AH, I don't know anything about a Nook but there seems to be a lot more places to get free books for Kindle, especially on Amazon. Also, if Barns and Noble go belly up like Borders did, would there still be as many places to get Nook Books? Just a wild thought. Being able to carry around a Kindle/Nook is really nice. I took mine to the front porch this weekend and read while son mowed my yard. I'll take it to the doctor's office while I'm in the waiting room too etc. The other day I was thinking that if I had to go to the hospital I would take the Kindle and have alot of different books to read without having to carry a stack around. And reading in bed is really nice since the device is flat and you don't have to fight to keep a book open and pages falling shut. Not that I'm trying to enable you or anything... :008Laughing:

I started out with the free Kindle on the PC. Loved it. Then my son bought me a Kindle for Christmas...love it even more.

Tiger, I'm glad to hear you have that many books on Kindle. I have over 700 books loaded and was afraid I might be running out of room. Most of my downloads were free too. Of all the books I have on there, I've probably only spent about $30.00 so far.

I do delete most of the free ones after I read them though to save space and clean up the... humm, what do you call a Kindle desk top/screen?

AH, I don't know anything about a Nook but there seems to be a lot more places to get free books for Kindle, especially on Amazon. Also, if Barns and Noble go belly up like Borders did, would there still be as many places to get Nook Books? Just a wild thought. Being able to carry around a Kindle/Nook is really nice. I took mine to the front porch this weekend and read while son mowed my yard. I'll take it to the doctor's office while I'm in the waiting room too etc. The other day I was thinking that if I had to go to the hospital I would take the Kindle and have alot of different books to read without having to carry a stack around. And reading in bed is really nice since the device is flat and you don't have to fight to keep a book open and pages falling shut. Not that I'm trying to enable you or anything... :008Laughing:

Very good point about a "real Store" closing as they all seem to be doing that of late?

and by the way..........................................

I waited for someone else to ask but-

The topic says " Just bought 80 FREE ebooks "

and I need to know before I pay to much -

Just how much SHOULD I pay for a FREE ebook anyway? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

:beat_deadhorse::AmishMichael2::sHa_sarcasticlol:

Let me try this again now that I've got more time and can organize it better. (DD was waiting to do her math program yesterday.)

1. Download the kindle app from the app store on you ipod
  2. Log in to the kindle app with your amazon info
  3. Go to Amazon on your computer (to me that's easier than trying to use the amazon app or amazon for mobile devices)
  4. NEW book - close to the purchase button, there should be a drop down to allow you to pick where you want the book sent
  5. ALREADY PURCHASED books - At the top of the amazon mouse over my account and select manage your kindle
  6. If it takes you to the account page, scroll down to eht 4th section and select manage your kindle
  7. Log in
  8. You should get a list of the books you have purchased, mouse over the actions button
  9. Select Deliver to
  10. You should have a list of all the devices you have associated with your kindle account (i.e. Mt_Rider's kindle for pc, Mt_Rider's ipod, Amsishway's kindle, etc)
  11. Pick your device
  12. When you open kindle on the device you pick and it's connected to wifi it should download automatically

@ :AmishMichaelstraw:- Sorry couldn't help throwing the kindle in there. :D Word of advice if you do get one, if you aren't going to use the internet on it or read at night, the regular one is the easiest on the eyes and can be seen best in bright sun. If you read at night with it you have to have an external light source with the regular one and a friend told me his wife wasn't very happy about that. The battery life on the regular one is better as well, although the fire isn't bad. I can go a couple of days with moderate internet usage and reading before charging. I would go ahead and spend the little bit extra and get the full keyboard or touch on a regular one. The $79 one from what I can tell if you want to shop from it or use the search you have to use the directional button and click each letter. :(

Let me try this again now that I've got more time and can organize it better. (DD was waiting to do her math program yesterday.)

1. Download the kindle app from the app store on you ipod
  2. Log in to the kindle app with your amazon info
  3. Go to Amazon on your computer (to me that's easier than trying to use the amazon app or amazon for mobile devices)
  4. NEW book - close to the purchase button, there should be a drop down to allow you to pick where you want the book sent
  5. ALREADY PURCHASED books - At the top of the amazon mouse over my account and select manage your kindle
  6. If it takes you to the account page, scroll down to eht 4th section and select manage your kindle
  7. Log in
  8. You should get a list of the books you have purchased, mouse over the actions button
  9. Select Deliver to
  10. You should have a list of all the devices you have associated with your kindle account (i.e. Mt_Rider's kindle for pc, Mt_Rider's ipod, Amsishway's kindle, etc)
  11. Pick your device
  12. When you open kindle on the device you pick and it's connected to wifi it should download automatically

@ :AmishMichaelstraw:- Sorry couldn't help throwing the kindle in there. :D Word of advice if you do get one, if you aren't going to use the internet on it or read at night, the regular one is the easiest on the eyes and can be seen best in bright sun. If you read at night with it you have to have an external light source with the regular one and a friend told me his wife wasn't very happy about that. The battery life on the regular one is better as well, although the fire isn't bad. I can go a couple of days with moderate internet usage and reading before charging. I would go ahead and spend the little bit extra and get the full keyboard or touch on a regular one. The $79 one from what I can tell if you want to shop from it or use the search you have to use the directional button and click each letter. :(

Thank You for all the great advice and listing what to do so I can read books the 'modern way'!

I just emailed Lori, at Work, at the Library and told her what you said.................................

She is bring home BOOKS!

Nice BOOKS made from paper: Large Print Books, Big Books, Little books, Fiction Books, Non-fiction Books! Books we can read ANYWHERE we go and NOT have to play with all THAT! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

***Might be another reason we don't have ipads, laptops or even cellpones? Now I would love a GPS for when we hike but I thing I would just be driving around the block trying to get it working right?:sHa_sarcasticlol:

:AmishMichael2:

I have 2811 ebooks for my Kindles. Might have paid something (ranging from .25 to 14.99 for about 25 or so). Swagbucks is a great way to earn points towards free Amazon giftcards. 450 points can get you a $5 gift certificate.

I started out reading ebooks on my iPod Touch, then moved to Kindle for PC and Nook for Pc. After getting hundreds of free ebooks, it's easy to justify the cost of a Kindle or Nook. All the money you're saving on reading materials!

Wow! 2811! Have you read them all?

Windmorn.... :hug3: Thanks for the second attempt to enlighten a tech-phobe like me. :P That does seem more clear and tomorrow [today has been a LOOOONG day] I'd like to try that.

OK...anyone who knows.... Once I have books entered in my iPod Touch device, can I access those books even if I'm not where I can have wi-fi service???

:wacko: Cuz I brought it to my folks house today to show my mom the new technology. I could show her the 80 FREE stories I "BOUGHT" [AH - Michael is a smart-alec!!! :girlneener: ] ....on my laptop but nothing would show up on the iPod. I have sucessfully (I thought) downloaded ONE audio book on there.

Where did it go???? :unsure: Cuz I just tried it now at home where I have wirele....

WAIT A MINUTE! :tapfoot: I can listen to that book at the furthest reaches of my pasture so why isn't it working? I click on the audio book sites and they flash up on the screen for a second, then flash off again. Same if I go thru the 'search function'.

:banghead: NOW what's wrong?

MtRider [...is an iPod suppposssed to be this difficult for TECHNO-PHOBES? :behindsofa: ]