MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Free Ebooks

Be careful when on websites that offer free ebooks for Kindle from Amazon. I was on one and a free book popped up I thought I'd like. I'm so used to just clicking on the 'buy' button that I didn't pay attention and it wasn't really free. I don't blame Amazon because I suppose they don't have control over what another site says. I do blame myself. I shouldn't have been so quick on the button. It was only $3.69 but still... I wouldn't have bought it.

Heads up. Just because a website says it's free from Amazon (or anywhere else) doesn't mean it is. Make sure it's really free before you click the buy button. :banghead:

Hi Jeepers! I have done that several times when I get in a hurry 'buying' free books. When this happens call Kindle support @ 1-866-321-8851. They will return your money and take the unwanted book away to somewhere out in cyberspace! lol There is a way to get your money back by opening your account, but I can't remember how that works. Maybe someone else can tell you that. PS: The tech did tell me that you have up to 7 days to call in, but I always do it right away.

Edited by Trudy

Thanks Trudy. As soon as it happened I wrote an email to Amazon but before I sent it I thought that it was really my own fault so I deleted it.

The book didn't appear on my Kindle after all. I'll bet they realized the mistake the website made. That's the only thing I can think of. I can't remember the name of the book. It was a long title about prairie living.

I'll keep your info for future reference though! I wish that 'buy with 1 click' button wasn't so close to the 'gift' and 'wish list' buttons.

Probably they hit the number of freebies between the time you pulled the page up and hit the buy button. They refresh the list at the top of the hour. I have also went to get a free book and realized that it's only free to borrow it. I think I did that with $.99 book, so I just kept it.

I also picked up a computer bug :motz_6: while going after a 'free' ebook. So I'm staying right at the Amazon site.

Even so, the reccomended books they put at the bottom to entice you? Well they show lots of FREE ones but the stick in one or two that cost money. I've nearly clicked that a time or two. Tricky but...it would be my own fault.

There are many books I'd try for FREE that I would not try if I had to pay.

MtRider [....slow down and look before you click :whistling: ]

I also picked up a computer bug :motz_6: while going after a 'free' ebook. So I'm staying right at the Amazon site.

Even so, the reccomended books they put at the bottom to entice you? Well they show lots of FREE ones but the stick in one or two that cost money. I've nearly clicked that a time or two. Tricky but...it would be my own fault.

There are many books I'd try for FREE that I would not try if I had to pay.

MtRider [....slow down and look before you click :whistling: ]

I now have WeatherBug on my computer due to doing that. As much as I hate the amount of space that the program takes up on my computer, it could have been much worse and could have been a "REAL" virus. It is darn near impossible to delete, too. I deleted it but it still is on my desktop...:shakinghead:

@Mt_Rider - staying on Amazon's a good idea. I've had a kindle app or device for a couple of years and haven't had any problem with viruses - knock on wood.

@TMC - Weatherbug suggests removing it from the add/remove programs section under settings. I've seen other articles that tell you how to remove all the registry keys so that it doesn't come back. I've had to do that before for some programs, but I can't remember if it was for weatherbug. I used to keep it on my computer and leave it running at night if there was bad so the weather alerts would wake me up. I don't keep it anymore since I've got weather on my phone that sends me alerts.

ereaderiq.com is a good source for the daily "freebies" on Amazon.

I've let my mouse finger get ahead of my eyes a couple times, too. I was able to go through the Amazon site and cancel the order right away. There was an "ordered by mistake" option. I think I went to Manage Your Kindle to locate the book and cancel the order.

ereaderiq.com is a good source for the daily "freebies" on Amazon.

I've let my mouse finger get ahead of my eyes a couple times, too. I was able to go through the Amazon site and cancel the order right away. There was an "ordered by mistake" option. I think I went to Manage Your Kindle to locate the book and cancel the order.

I like that site for free books too. You have to wade through a lot of garbage but it's still worth it. But that is the site from where I clicked on the 'not so free' book. <_< I still go there about every day but I try to remember to "look before I click." My own fault.

I wish I could remember the name of the book but it was a long title, if I remember correctly. When I went back to the site I couldn't find the book again. It never showed up on my Kindle so they (whomever they are) must have caught the mistake right away.

I've had the same happen at B&N. Sometimes the prices change quickly.

As far as book sites that offer free books.....I have a page on FB where we find the freebies and deals. Before I allowed anyone to post deals and freebies, but we recently changed our policy in order to protect our followers. Every link we post is directly to Amazon, B&N or Smashwords. We also share links from a very reputable group that we are very good friends with.They have taken the internet by storm in posting freebies and deals for Nook and Kindle. They are more of the "Walmart/Sam's/Costco" version of what we do where we are the "mom and pop shop". We have 799 followers where they have 1000's but we work together.