MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Aloe Help Needed

I was forced to move a large aloe plant. You know. The type where the 'leaves' were crawling out over the pot. They are so fragile at the root by that point. As expected, 90% of the plant broke off from whatever bit held them into the dirt.

So...do I have baby aloe plants now? Or will all that part die?

Will they root again if I put the ends in water for a while?

Or will they root if I put the ends in well-watered soil?

It's the one plant that has medicinal value so I'd rather not lose so much of it.

AND...anyone know if I can 'harvest' the aloe juice and somehow preserve it for medicinal use???? :unsure:

MtRider [ :banghead: I can't remember what I did before. ]

Aloe grows like a weed here in the desert, if you give it water. Usually, the mother plant will sprout babies around the bottom of the plant. All that is needed is to pull the babies off the mother plant, put them in soil and they will grow into new plants. I have never seen a broken leaf spout, then, I have never tried it either. ~ Weeds.... one plant turned into an 8 foot by 4 foot plot in less than three years. :cheeky-smiley-067:

How to harvest is easy, cut a leaf, rinse, slit the leaf, then, using a spoon, scrape the gel inside layer off the green outer skin.

Put the gel into a blender, and add water or citrus juice, and blend for a couple minutes. The juice helps to briefly stabilize the exposed aloe vera gel, as well as enhancing the taste.

Pour the aloe vera juice into an airtight container and refrigerate, it will stay fresh up to a week. It is most potent if used within two days.

I am curious about this very situation as well.

so, you can just plant the babies ( right away ) in damp soil to root them?

they don't need to be air hardened like cactus pieces often have to be before attempting to root them again?

I have never needed to harden them. I am so abusive to the plants, one plant sits on top of the cement and has been growing, slowly, for a couple of years.

Here is a photo of the two types growing in our yard.

Red Aloe: Raloe.JPG

Yellow Aloe: Yaloe.JPG

THANKS, y'all!

:lol: I have my front window sill lined with pseudo-canning jars [pasta sauce kind] filled with water and medium sized aloe. Good grief! If all these *do* restart...where am I gonna put them all? I've got a tiny cabin with only the cabin-traditional window space. AND this plant doesn't seem to like summer-time direct light. Happy in the north window. :cheeky-smiley-067:

I've never drank the juice. I like to have it for burns tho. Is there any way to preserve the juice/gel for applying to burns? Freeze, mebbe?

MtRider :unsure: ...uh, don't think I need more right now, Annarchy. :P

MtRider :unsure: ...uh, don't think I need more right now, Annarchy. :P

LOL I am glad you have enough.

Put the leaves in a Ziploc and freeze it. Aloe will keep indefinitely when frozen, but, should not be heated to defrost.

• 2 months later...

You can get a small aloe at any gardening shop. People throw aloe out in the street to be recycled like weeds here. My original plant came from one I found in the gutter. We have one in a 5 gallon bucket that we brought when we moved 2 years ago. it has babies coming out of the bottom holes. I break them off and plop them in a bare piece of dirt whenever I can find one. They can survive anything.

• 1 month later...

I have never needed to harden them. I am so abusive to the plants, one plant sits on top of the cement and has been growing, slowly, for a couple of years.

Here is a photo of the two types growing in our yard.

Red Aloe: post-1859-006100400 1336056835_thumb.jpg

Yellow Aloe: post-1859-098395600 1336056872_thumb.jpg

They look beeeUtiFUL!!!

Alas...I just buy Aloe gels by the dozens, and keep them stored...LOL