MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sassenach

Growing Potatoes in Containers

in a 5 gallon bucket

and.....

" potato bag system that really looks like small collapsible barrels for potato growing" ( my explanation)

1 question?

Just how many potatoes are you going to get from a 5 gal. pail?

I think also that most of them will be small as well? Seeing if we put too many seed potatoes in a 55 gal drum they don't do very well as the roots touch they only make small ones.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

Michael, I watched several such videos and for the most part, but they were harvesting pretty early too, that the potatoes were small.

I had very good luck growing full sized potatoes in loose mulch though one year ( accidentally)...

One of the other things I noticed in these videos for either 'potato bag or 5 gallon potato growing' is that hardly anyone used any supplements.

But acidic soil was best, mulch is good of course for nutrients and peat moss, tended to help the potatoes develop much larger. A little bone and blood meal.

Using larger broad based bins worked pretty good but what you put into the growing strata and what you feed them with makes a huge difference.

So maybe if you created an acidic soil, kept it looser with mulchy materials partly rather than packed dirt as you layered up over new growth, you might be getting better results even in the smaller containers. Plus punching air holes in the sides helps too.

( this was the consensus I saw online with the more experienced bin growing potato growers) and was how my loose mulch pile did great ( wire mesh containing it at the time) with potato size.

I would like to grow little red potatoes and I need something that will be able to be moved. Our lease is up in August and we hope to move so that means container garden that will move with us.

Remember that Yukon Gold only makes one layer of potatoes, no matter how you try to hill them gradually.

Remember that Yukon Gold only makes one layer of potatoes, no matter how you try to hill them gradually.

One year we got around this bit by putting 1 seed ppotato in the bottom of the barrel. Then as it started to come up we would add compost or loose soil. When it got about 6 to 8 inches high we added another seed potato and as it came up filled in and when 6 to 8 inches added another seed potato. That way we got a lot of potatoes in 1 barrel.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

HUH? What did you say, Ambergris? Yukon Gold won't work for this?????

Why?

That's what we bought this year. :sad-smiley-012: Are there any other ones that don't work?

MtRider [...another layer of the seed taters,huh AH? ]

These were grown in buckets, with holes drilled in bottom for drainage. The last of our harvest. Yucon Golds...they didn't produce as many as we expected though!

Yukon Golds are never high producers. I've grown them for several years and can never remember why I keep planting them. Alot of work for so-so yield.

I did grow a potatoe this year that was amazing! I got 5-6lbs of potato from each plant...big, huge, wonderful potatoes that have the best taste I've ever had. I sent some to my mom and she went nuts over them too. I need to try to figure out which ones they were...I've already set seed potatoes aside though for next year.

Now we know why we only got a half a pound of potatoes from our 3 plants of .... You guessed it -Yukon Gold. DH feels better after reading about the Yukon Gold. He couldn't figure out what he was doing wrong. He hilled and hilled and then found only one layer. However, those few little potatoes did taste good. Next year, we'll try a different kind.

We'll be trying a different type of potatoe this coming season also.

I found a potato tower for limited space gardens .

It utilizes 4- 8 ft. 4x4's

which are used as the corner posts for the tower.

Sink them about 2 feet into the ground for stability, evenly space them about 4'4" apart in the shape of a square.

Next you will need: 20 - 6"x8' tounge and groove boards cut them into 4' lengths; These can be re-used Many times.

Mount the first 2 sets on the posts at soil level using screws for easy removal later.

(t & g is used to keep the soil from leaking out between layers as it would with regular boards.)

Fill the space with soil and plant your seed potatoes about 8 inches apart , attach another set of t & g boards and

cover with more soil.

wait, water-frugally, wait some more, Harvest after frost kills the plant tops.

As the plants grow (12" tall) add another set of the 6" t & g boards. Add soil to cover all but the top 6" of the plants.

Keep attaching new t & g every time the plant gets tall enough. The plants will be ready for more soil when they flower,

as that is when they are setting tubers.

Do this until you have attached all the t&g, should be 5 ft. tall.

As the season progresses near Harvest you can get an early taste of those "New Potatoes" by removing the BOTTOM

boards (this is why the screws) reach in and remove enough soil to get to the 'spuds'. Remove careful to not damage the

next layer up .

Replace the soil and the bottom boards, marking how high you removed the boards. This way next time you will know

which boards to start with.

According to the author you should be able to harvest 100 pounds of potatoes from this 4'w x4'l x 5'h planter.

Pretty good use of a small space IF you will be able to stay through Harvest. If you can't stay through Harvest

I would use tubs to plant in over a barrel just to be sure the plants get enough sunlight.

Edited by PEARL89