MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Let's Share a Picture or Two

Oh hey Wink, did not realize you had some folks in CA. My parents built a nice home in Grass Valley years before they went into retirement. I have spent time driving all over that area. Definitely spent time in SF going to the VAMC there a lot. Have one brother and his youngest daughter are still in Nevada City area.

Congrats on your DD's wedding! Hope your trip and all the festivities and ceremony goes off great. Have fun!

• 1 month later...

These are from this year...the very beginnings of our square foot garden. We have four 4x4's but we're planning to add four more this next spring. Did potatoes in 8 buckets. Didn't use up hardly any space with this method, only a small portion of one yard.Love all the pics!

Well!!!!!!

I went out to water, and the pretty little zucchini seedling is snipped off at the stem, with no sign of the green lieaves.

Guess I need to plant more, if it isn't too late in the season here.

Silly birds........

And rabbits, and raccoons!

Arby, I didn't see your post until this morning. I grew up in the LA area but have relatives all over the southern and northern parts of the state.

A brother and his family and also cousins, etc. in Southern CA.

Another brother and his family in the Sacramento area where my nephew is the Sacramento Co. Sheriff.

Then I have a niece with her family in San Francisco and of course, number 1 is our daughter in SF.

I moved to Iowa in 1968 (yes I am old) and love it here....except I'm no longer crazy about winter....to be honest, I pretty much hate it! :008Laughing:

I have made the trip from CA to Iowa so many times (just like in the movie, by plane, train and automobile) I think I could do it in my sleep. My first trip Mom was pregnant with me, the 2nd I was 5 months old and it has never ended.

• 7 months later...

Garden season is truly upon us! Still got alot of squares to get planted, but I want to "stagger" some of them so they don't all come in at the same time. I'll stagger my lettuce, my radishes etc., things that I can't dehydrate or can. Planted a little today; carrots, radishes, eggplant, lettuce, marigolds, cabbage, yellow straight neck squash, cucumbers, zuchini, yellow wax beans, pole beans, bush beans, peas, and hopefully we'll get the rest of the "soil" mixed up so we can get the corn in. Mountain Man did a wonderful job of building my potato bucket "rack" (pic inserted) so they're all hung and ready to grow! Also got my "owls" up to stand guard! We're both absolutely tuckered out. It was about 80 today, and though it started out cloudy it ended up being a beautiful sunny day. Even though we've had some nice gentle rains to soak everything, I re-watered everything that got planted today so the new seeds got another good soaking. (ps...Abby-girl had to stay in the side yard and out of our way...LOL)

Nice Philbe! Be careful though of too much weight in the hanging buckets...one year I did tomatoes and had some high winds...several buckets broke where the handles were connected. Love your place!

Yeppers DM4, we plan to set them down when we know there's wind coming. Glad son is there and can do it for us in an emergency. Thanks for the compliment, we enjoy the "homestead" for sure and even though alot of people plan to BO we're planning to shelter in place there. Mom lives in the lower (2 bedroom) apartment & we can shelter there with her, or in our travel trailer and son lives in the upper (1 bedroom) apartment (when we get the other 2 properties sold) It also has a basement if we need it. As you may be able to tell, Mountain Man's got his "man cave" big metal garage building! LOL Neither of the other 2 properties have enough room for our livestyle so that's why we bought the homestead.

Love your set up! I like how you divided your boxes with the wood strips too. And of course Abby girl is looking gorgeous as always.

Can you bend your hooks up to form a circle and then attach a carabiner to the hook and the bucket handle? That way they won't blow off. Thats the way I hang plant baskets on my front porch. They aren't very heavy though.

Here are some examples. But I get mine from Wal-Mart. Lowes & Home Depot etc. carry them too.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A3402541

Love your set up! I like how you divided your boxes with the wood strips too. And of course Abby girl is looking gorgeous as always.

Can you bend your hooks up to form a circle and then attach a carabiner to the hook and the bucket handle? That way they won't blow off. Thats the way I hang plant baskets on my front porch. They aren't very heavy though.

Here are some examples. But I get mine from Wal-Mart. Lowes & Home Depot etc. carry them too.

I'll check w/Mtn.Man and see if he has a tool or something strong enough to bend them. They're pretty stout. As for carbiners, that's Mtn.Man's middle name! LOL

I'll check w/Mtn.Man and see if he has a tool or something strong enough to bend them. They're pretty stout. As for carbiners, that's Mtn.Man's middle name! LOL

Doesn't want to bend the hooks, we need to be able to remove them and set them down if necessary and also the part that's probably most vulnerable is the little hooks that are on the sides of the buckets. Thanks for something for us to investigate though!

Here's some pics of our "snow covered" garden, surprise May snow! Kept things covered up except for the potato buckets. The hoops & plastic actually had a bit of sweat on the under side, even though they were snow covered on parts & no sun! When we uncovered them to let the sunshine in (once the cold had once again passed) they looked great, and even the onions were doing fine! Really surprised to see lettuce babies peeking through, so I guess the snow didn't do any damages. Won't know until a little further down the road.