MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
out_of_the_ordinary

What are you reading?

We haven't had one of these threads in awhile! What have you been reading or what are you currently reading?

I recently finished:

Original Intent by David Barton

I learn so much from his books!! (stuff we should be taught in school!!)

Service by Marcus Luttrell

I haven't seen this one promoted, but saw it in Sam's Club and picked it up. DH and I couldn't put down Lone Survivor and thought it should be required reading. God Bless our servicemen and women!

Norman Vincent Peale: Words That Inspired Him

(it's 2 works in 1; My Favorite Quotations and My Inspirational Favorites)

Currently I'm reading the book The Classic Writings of Billy Graham.

It has 3 of his works: Angels, How to Be Born Again and The Holy Spirit.

The last 2 books and the next one I picked up very cheaply (just under $10 each) in the bargain books/clearance section of Barnes & Noble.

Next to read: The Beloved Works of C.S. Lewis.

It contains 4: Surprised by Joy, Reflections on the Psalms, The Four Loves and The Business of Heaven.

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary

I'm reading a free kindle book, Flash Crash by Ruby Andrews. It got 4 stars and I'm 64% finished. It's ho hum and doesn't seem to go anywhere. I'll give it a bit longer but am afraid I'll be giving up soon! I hate giving up but..........

Currently reading Spurgeon's sermons, vol 1.

Started reading "One Second After" since I got it as a free download, but didn't get far. Typical doomer garbage, IMHO.

"Why Revival Tarries" by Leonard Ravenhill

"A Woman After God's Own Heart'" by Elizabeth George

Plus a book on food storage techniques in Brazil.

I just finished 'After The Storm', and it was good! Reading 'Deep Winter' series now.

The Gospel of Matthew, Volume 1-3 by William Barclay

The study delves into the original texts and expounds on them.

I'm reading Cultivating Hope right now. It's pretty good. About prairie life in 1800's Kansas. It's sort of along the line of My Antonia. It is written sort of like a diary. It was a free Kindle download but I see it's up to 3.69 now. If I see it free again I'll post it or if anyone else sees it post away. It's a good read when it's free.

http://www.amazon.com/Cultivating-Planting-Dreams-Series-ebook/dp/B003X27UZ0/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1338086029&sr=1-1

Just finished, The Cooking Manual of Practical Direction for Economical Every-Day Cookery by Juliet Corson, Superintendent of the New York Cooking School, Copyright 1877

A free Kindle book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TP6U9W/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=selfreliinfo-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004TP6U9W

Fun reading and a few ideas to try out. Love the old terms, 'gill' of liquid, a 'saltspoonful' of salt, and 'smoking hot oil' .

I just read two short, simple books by Susan Gregersen. The Long Ride Home and The Rally Point: Bugging Home. They cost $1 with Kindle and ....while I did like the stories, I'm glad they were only a dollar. The are FREE for Prime members tho. Just simple stories of a large family and how they had adventures and challenges while trying to reach the home ranch after an EMP. I think she's writing a third story.

She has several other books [search her name on Amazon] and they are all Free to Prime and .99 to the rest of us.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Long-Ride-Home-ebook/dp/B007IKFPX2/ref=sr_1_sc_3?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1338275577&sr=1-3-spell

http://www.amazon.com/The-Rally-point-Bugging-ebook/dp/B007O27J4C/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1338275577&sr=1-1-spell

MtRider [....like reading more and more stories on Kindle :happy0203: ]

I'm a mystery lover so I'm reading Dare to Die, by Carolyn Hart. I've read most of her books and since they are set in a mystery book store, she always recommends other mysteries to read!

I recently finished Beverly Lewis' The Courtship of Nellie Fisher. It was the 3 books in one volume. I read in another thread here how some ladies here enjoyed her books. I liked that one!

Right now, I'm reading Glenn Beck's Arguing With Idiots and "Reflections on the Psalms" in The Beloved Works of C.S. Lewis.

I just finished Shattered from the Deep Winter Series.

Started Until We Reach Home by Lynn Austin last night.....very good!

I just finished 77 Days in September. It is hard for me to find something I can't put down, but this was one of them! I just started What So Proudly We Hail. Hope it is good.Thanks ANewMe for the list.

Just finished "The Kitchen Daughter". The main character has Asperger's, and (so does or 9 yr old DGS). Easy to read and I enjoyed it

I'm reading The Preacher's Daughter In Beverly Lewis' "Annie's People" series.

I got all 3 books in the series at a yard sale!

Love my library! Currently reading 2nd in a Red River series, Lauraine Snelling. I love pioneer-type books...lots of info that has lead me to check different things online for their meanings etc. Also watch for book sales, just recently had a "bag for a dollar" sale so hubby grabbed a bag and I did too. Now we gotslotsa books saved to read if we can't get to a library etc. :yum3:

Reading. Implosion by Joel Rosenberg. Will really get you prepping!!!!

I'm reading The Preacher's Daughter In Beverly Lewis' "Annie's People" series.

I got all 3 books in the series at a yard sale!

Is this an Amish themed book?

Yes. I think the author mostly writes Amish fiction. I enjoyed reading the series. So much that I didn't get much done around the house 'til I had the books finished. There's a thread somewhere here about Beverly Lewis' books.

At the same yard sale, I picked up another Amish themed book by a different author and just couldn't get into it. Not a big loss at 50 cents!

I've read a couple by Beverly Lewis, but I wasn't sure if she wrote any non-Amish themed books, too. I have read several Amish themed books written by Wanda Brunstedder and Beth Wiseman, too. I usually enjoy the "escape" to Amish country, even if it is only through fiction.

afternoonbirdfeeder.jpg

I have been reading a couple books by Kristin Hannah. Some of the lanuage isn't what I would like, but, otherwise they are good books. I've read 'Night Road' and am reading, 'Winter Garden' right now.

I've not done a lot of reading since March, in fact these are the first ones since the Reading Program. Just been busy doing other things. :)

I checked out the Beverly Lewis site and all I see are books about Amish. She is really very good, I've enjoyed all of the books I've been able to get from our library by her.

HUGS3.jpgHAVEAGREATDAYTEAPOT.gif

Are you reading about the Bjorklund's first coming to the US? Oh my but I loved that series!!!

Shonuff!

Re-reading Joyce Meyer's Battlefield of the Mind. This book was what I needed to deal with my anxiety and work on changing my way of thinking. It hasn't even made it to a shelf yet. I keep it laying around so I can remember to keep re-reading it!

I am almost finished with Debbie Macomber's The Inn at Rose Harbor and I'm really enjoying this. This story takes place in the Pacific Northwest so I know exactly what she means when she describes the coolness and rain.

Next up is Beverly Lewis's Rose trilogy starting with "The Thorn". She has a new book being released tomorrow. I'm so glad she keeps the stories coming.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.