MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
out_of_the_ordinary

What are you reading?

I've been reading several of the Sowers Series books. My favorite so far was Abagail Adams. We've been slowly buying them for homeschooling, but I'm reading them now and really enjoying them.

Just finished Marti Talbott's "Seattle Quake 9.2". A mystery and a disaster scenario. Features the valiant men and women Ham operators.

Free when I bought it but not now. Watch for it tho....

http://www.amazon.com/Seattle-Quake-Jackie-Harlan-Mystery-ebook/dp/B003XKNEOS/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1454825071&sr=1-2&keywords=marti+talbott+jackie+harlan

MtRider :pc_coffee:

:bump1:

For our family read alouds, we are reading the Moffat series by Eleanor Estes.   We've read The Moffats, The Middle Moffat, and Rufus M. so far.   They're for kids and set in Connecticut,  at the end of Rufus M., WW1 ends.   I think they were written in the 1940s.  The family doesn't have electricity , has a gas meter in the house that you have to feed quarters into and money is tight.  So are the family relationships, which is what I like.   Before that, we read Heidi.   I searched for one that wasn't abridged.   I had 2 different abridged/edited copies from when I was young.   Those are going into the donate bag.  Oh, my, the unabridged was so much better.   Better story, much more beautful language... and those abridged/edited ones took out all mention of God! 

For my reading, I finally finished From Sea to Shining Sea (2nd book in the God's Plan for America series) by Peter Marshall and David Manuel.  That one had been in my reading stacks awhile.  Good, just very long.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Now I've started Evidence Not Seen: A Woman's Miraculous Faith in the Jungles of World War II by Darlene Deibler Rose.

MrsS wouldn't let me edit my post to add that.

I'm really behind on reading. I've mostly been reading how-to books. Usually gardening books. Don't know why I bother though. I'll never remember what I read by next spring. Sigh. 

That Moffat series sounds great. I'm definitely going to check it out!  Thanks for the heads up. 

I'm behind on my reading, too.   :)     I've bought books quicker than I can read them, but it's for our home/homeschool library.  

If you get to the library, Jeepers, see if they have Little Britches by Ralph Moody.   One of the best books I've bought.   It might be one you want for your grandson when he's a little older.  

I've heard of that book but it's been ages ago. Will definitely check it out! 

He has tons of books right now but they are books that are read to him. Baby books. Now would be a good time to start a real library for him so I can get a little at a time. I posted about a set of books I got that are really good. Rothman I believe is the last name. I have the  Little House on the Prairie set. I have a couple of beginning science type books by Dr. Suess that are surprisingly good. 

Hanging out at the library is a good idea. Also spending some time at Barns and Noble to see what all is out there would probably be helpful too. And dangerous $$$$$. 

I just remembered I have a set of McGuffy readers and a set of Amish school books by Pathway. Hope they aren't in my damp basement. :unsure:

I'm rusty on kids reading material. I have a Kindle full of teen-adult books but that's way down the line. 

A book in the hand is worth two on Kindle.

I just made that up. Both are nice. 

For Dr. Seuss books, I wait until around Dr. Seuss' birthday.  Sam's, WM and the grocery stores all put them on sale for $5-$6".   I think it's April-ish. .  I used "Hop on Pop" and "Go, Dog, Go" in teaching DD to read. 

The library is out for me because of allergies.   I don't shop at B&N anymore because they have the same bathroom policy as Target.    I mostly order from homeschool companies or Christian book, or some of the smaller publishers.   Some of those small publishers have very good sales (like 50% off).    There's a discount/closeout book store at the outlet mall.   They're hit or miss like Ollie's, but sometimes I can find stuff there.    There's lots of book lists on line for good, living books and I've used those for some guidance.  

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary
  • Like 1

I have quite a few Dr. Suess books put away for him when he starts to read. I want to go to the library just to look around. I've brought too many books etc home that reeled of cigarettes smoke from the library. 

Those last two Suess books I got seemed for the older crowd. One is a bout weather and the other might be about the solar system. I can't remember exactly and the books are already in Indy. 

Barns and Noble is our only reliable source around here. Ollie are great but hit or miss. I forgot about the mall. Wonder if they still have book stores.

There is a good website that I visit its called teachers paying teachers. They have tons of work book sheets you can download. Some are free and some are not. I have a lot of free ones printed out already.

Another one is a called something like Jady. Nice lady showing how to make simple educational toys and crafts with her kids. A lot of manipulatives. 

Our current family readaloud is Stories of the Pilgrims by Margaret Pumphrey.   It was originally published in 1912.  Yesterday's Classics reprints it.   We all like it.   I bought the physical book a few years ago.   But, the chapters can be read for free here (you have to scroll down)  [edited to add: this isn't what now would be a politically correct book with some of the terms.  It is not my intention to offend anyone!]  http://www.gatewaytotheclassics.com/browse/display.php?author=pumphrey&book=pilgrims&story=_contents

There's alot of good living books on that site.

I'm reading Let Me Be A Woman by Elisabeth Elliot and Unshakable Trust by Joyce Meyer.   

For homeschooling, DD is reading aloud to me  Riding the Pony Express by Clyde Robert Bulla.

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary
  • Thanks 1

Rereading one of my old books Christmas American Country Living - Barbara Randolph. Bought that one many years ago long before DD was born. Most years I reread or browse my old seasonal books also to freshen up for ideas for the Christmas decorations.

• Like 1

I am just about to start the book AHA! written by Kyle Idleman. Years ago my sister turned me on to this author by giving me a book called Not A Fan. It was about how to be a follower of Jesus and not just a fan. It really changed my perspective on being a Christian and what it means to follow Jesus. This book was so good I bought the study guide and the DVD. I hope AHA! does not disappoint!

• Like 1

I have not read anything as of late but my Bible. That is a daily read for me.  Has anyone read the book Lights out by David Crawford. That book was a wake up call. Very good read. There are many more I have read but can't think of them off top of head right now and youngest grandson just got here. He is spending the night and maybe tomorrow night as well. Going to help me around house and stay with his granddad while daughter and I do our yearly christmas shopping.

I ran into Lights Out before he had published it as a book.  It was just posted up on his site.  I liked it....have a copy of it.  Haven't read it in many years...so I might dig it out sometime.

I was searching out Post-Hooey stories before they began to E-publish them for money.  Have read many of them .....before they had their final edits, I guess. 

Little Sister.....have you requested access to the Forum called Fireside.  It's not open for those who just lurk here.  But you've been here a few months now and can have access.  There are a lot of stories down there...read for free.  Just members of MrsS .....some who started here down in Fireside and have gone on to publish with Kindle.  We haven't had a lot of activity down there for a long time tho. 

:whistling:   And some of us never did get around to finishing some stories.... 

MtRider  :reading: 

22 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

I ran into Lights Out before he had published it as a book.  It was just posted up on his site.  I liked it....have a copy of it.  Haven't read it in many years...so I might dig it out sometime.

I was searching out Post-Hooey stories before they began to E-publish them for money.  Have read many of them .....before they had their final edits, I guess. 

Little Sister.....have you requested access to the Forum called Fireside.  It's not open for those who just lurk here.  But you've been here a few months now and can have access.  There are a lot of stories down there...read for free.  Just members of MrsS .....some who started here down in Fireside and have gone on to publish with Kindle.  We haven't had a lot of activity down there for a long time tho. 

:whistling:   And some of us never did get around to finishing some stories.... 

MtRider  :reading: 

Did not know about Fireside. I will check it out. Thank you for the input about it. Maybe I can find some good stories to read there. 

Reading one of my Mennonite story books.  I really enjoy most of them.  Also, we picked up "One Second After" by Forschen (?) as well as a couple of books by (Going Home) A. American.  Not for the timid reader!  We wanted them in our library.  I'm not reading them (I've read them once) right now.  I need to read my Bible in the mornings and my story books at night.  If I do read books about shtf stuff I have to read it during the day.  I just don't sleep well if I read them before bed.  

4 minutes ago, The WE2's said:

If I do read books about shtf stuff I have to read it during the day.  I just don't sleep well if I read them before bed.  

:thumbs:   Me toooooo!  I'm careful to read not-too-exciting .....not suspense......not distressing stories before bed!!!!!  :wacko:  

:lol:  'Nuff trouble getting to bed on time without that....

Little Sister.....you might need to get "a pass" from Annarchy for Fireside.  Otherwise it won't show up on your screen.  I'm a moderator but not admin.......  {and they don't want me touching too many buttons.....hee hee

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Haha 1

I got his book before it was published, on a Word document too. There are quite a few books with the title 'Lights Out' in them. One was by Teri Black-something or other. That isn't the correct name but similar. Another one is by Ted Koppel. 

Right before Y2K a woman was writing a series on a different website. It was about a virus. I'm not sure what she ever did with it but she was a good writer. Her user name was Canada Sue. 

There is another good book out there on Amazon. Of course I can't remember the name of it but I'll look it up when the Kindle reader gets charged enough and post it. She has 3-4 books in a series but I've only read the one. Someone here recommended it. Of course I can't remember who that was either. I really liked it because the story line had a lot to do with prepping and easy-er on the violence. There was some but that wasn't the main part. 

I haven't been doing much reading lately. Two books that I really like that stuck with me are the one I mentioned above but can't remember the title to and another one I'm not sure of the title. I THINK it's 1929 by ? Gardner. It's not a dystopian book but a novel about four rich friends when the stock market crashed and how they coped with being poor. it's a series too but I only read the first one. I'll look up the correct title and post it too. Sigh. 

Nothing bothers me at bed time. I usually just fall asleep while reading or watching stuff online. I have strange dreams but nothing scary. Last night grandson and I were in England and I was with some guy (not romantically) and we were shopping for kilts. I kept trying to get him to buy that purse like thing they wear on the front of the kilt but he didn't want it. Said it was too expensive. I wound up buying it and he looked great. I bought a green tam for myself. We were probably in Scotland. I remember bagpipes playing. After I got him fixed up I moved on to Prince Charles and he made fun of Princess Diana for trying to drive a stick shift car. I told him she was in heaven and he was stuck here in hell with that old Camilla. I got mad and woke up. I dream crazy stuff nearly every night. Even in sound, color and smells. Freud would have a field day with my dreams. 

• Haha 1

:coffeescreen:     Jeeeeeepers!  You have such coooool dreams.  Mine are always STRIVING dreams.... Trying to get to my college class and CANNOT find the room.  Or I have to do this or that and never QUITE succeed.  Kilts and sporran huh?  ;)     Like your response to ole Charlie.  :008Laughing:

Forgot about Ted Koppel's book...same title.  I've never read his.  I read free books...  :shrug: 

Do you mean Terri Blackstock?   I had to look it up tho I have the real book (somewhere) in paperback format.   Her first book in series of four is Last Light.  She's a Christian writer but she has WAY too much suspense for my nerves.  AND she's not a HEA [happily ever after] writer.   :grinning-smiley-044:   I have too much angst if I read suspense or mystery books.  Don't like mysteries....

MtRider  ....want ducks in a row!!!  :duck1:  :duck1:  :duck1:

Edited by Mt_Rider

I remember reading "Alas Babylon" (?) and I think we even have it "somewhere" in our library.  Can't remember much in detail so guess I'll hunt it up one of these days. 

Last month, DH completed watching the Stargate series, all of them, in order.  We stream and watch one or two shows a couple times a week, in the evening.  He has been trying to get me to watch “The Expanse”, by James S.A. Corey.  It’s got monsters... monsters give me nightmares....:runcirclsmiley2:

I gave up and let him play episode one.  The next day, I had a lot of questions,  what, why, etc.  The nerd, my dearest kind hearted husband, leaves the room and came back with the book.  So, I began reading it, which it did answer a lot of my questions, making more sense of the story line.  BUT!  Yes, there is a “but”.... he tells me it is book one of 6!  To be honest, I read my Bible, and very little else.  I usually have much too much to do, than sitting reading.  Plus, sitting too long hurts and I stiffen up quickly.   I’m now trying to read it fast enough to keep up with the episodes.  :imoksmiley:

12 hours ago, Annarchy said:

Stargate series

We have the dvd series...guess I should watch it.  Hubby has but I haven't.

I have a set of the Bible cassettes and love to sit and just listen while I enjoy my morning coffee...and then spend some additional coffee time listening to some gentle gospel music.  Gets me "prepared" for my day.  My reading of other books is in the evening, after I'm in my pj's and ready to relax.  I try to "shut down" by 10:00 pm and turn off my bed table light by 11:00 pm. Hubby usually spends his evening watching some of the shows he enjoys and then in to this room's computer to read some of the blogs he follows.  He usually turns in about 1:00 am.  He's a night owl and doesn't require as much sleep as I do.  I really need 8 hours but he seems to just need about 6 hours.

I have that striving dream sometimes too. Always the same one. In high school, can't remember the locker numbers or my schedule. I always end up having to go to the principal office for my locker number, the combination number and my schedule...again. I always swear I'm going to write it all down and keep copies in my notebook and purse but I never do. I hate that dream. I wake up so frustrated. Last night it was a cherry tree I had. In the spring it gave the sweetest bing cherries. In the summer it gave bright red Montmorency pie cherries. The cherries were as big as Roma tomatoes. Wish I could find that tree in real life. Anyone here good at grafting? 

Terri Blackstock that's it. I sort of thought it was Blackstock but remembered that was Reba McEntire's husbands last name and her son, Kelly Clarkson's husbands last name, so I didn't say it. See the dumb stuff I can remember. And I don't even follow these people. Never heard one Kelly Clarkson song. And it wasn't even Lights Out. It was Last Light. Close. It had the word 'Light' in it. :rolleyes:

The depression era book was 1929 by M.L. Gardner. It is free once in awhile from Kindle. It's a good novel. 

My favorite dystopian-ish book is The Journal: Cracked Earth by Deborah D. Moore. I'm going to read it again. I like it even better than William Forstchen books. 

All of the above are series but I rarely read the next book. I think I think that they won't be as good as the first one and I'll be disappointed. I should probably stop that because I might be missing out on some good stuff.

We2, I have the Bible on CD too. One is read by James Earl Jones and the other by Johnny Cash. I like the Johnny Cash one the best. Don't tell anyone but I got them from the library. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.