MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you reading?

I'm reading Nora Roberts, "The Rise of Magicks".  It's the 3rd in the series and kind of weird but an interesting read.  It's the world after an epidemic as killed billions.  There are fairies, elves, etc. etc. and lots of warring but it's different and I like different sometimes.

On my phone I'm listening to Gwen Bristow's, "Jubilee Trail".  I read it years ago and found it again on Audible.  I'm loving it again after reading it probably 40 years or more ago.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

We've been neglecting this thread!  What have you all been reading?

Here's what I've been reading lately, that I can remember quickly...

The Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary.  I pre-read everything before giving it to DD.   She doesn't know we have this.  I'm probably keeping it back for Christmas.  It was cute.  I bet DH would like it, too.

101 Hymn Stories: The Inspiring True Stories Behind 101 Favorite Hymns by Kenneth Osbeck.   Oh, this is good!   One page or so is the music, then a page or so with the story behind it.   I like that it makes for a lot of short readings when I don't have time to sit down and read chapters.   DD is reading it here and there, too, as she asked for a book about hymns after I read her a chapter about Fanny Crosby from Lamplighter's reprint Girls of Courage Who Became Women of Influence by  Elsie Egermeier (originally printed in 1931). 

I'm re-reading Ruth Beechick's books on homeschooling.   Hers is more of a common-sense homeschooling that makes it all seem very do-able.  

Susie: The Life and Legend of Susannah Spurgeon, wife of Charles H. Spurgeon  --I liked learning about Susannah Spurgeon (oh my, her years of ill health and suffering kept her at home, yet what an inspiration!) , but the writing just didn't click with me.   I'm still glad I read it, though.

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary
  • Like 3

Right now I am reading a book called Corona Crisis. Plagues, Pandemics, and the coming Apocalypse by Mark Hitchcock.  Didn't think it would be much but turns out to be a very interesting book.  Also reading my Bible. I am reading a book on my kindle called Trump's Unfinished business: 10 Prophecies to save America by Steve Cioccolanti. Will be starting some new books when I finish these.

I have read the book Lights Out twice now.  That is a good book. 

• Like 2

Right now I'm reading The Forgiven by Marta Perry.  It's an Amish Romance.  I'm OLD and not usually into romances anymore but I wanted something light.  It's pretty good.  I just finished listening to The Throwaway Children by Diney Costeloe.  It's a heartbreaker.  I have a Baldacci, The Fix I'll be starting next.

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...

I’ve had a lot of downtime lately and have been marathon reading Janet Evanovich’s Stephany Plum novels.  Laughter is healing and these books have plenty of just pure dumb slapstick humor. 😁

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Mother said:

pure dumb slapstick humor. 😁

Hah!  I remember one where the bad guys stole the dog that had just eaten a whole bunch of prunes.  LOL  I love those books.  Can't remember what number was the last one I read.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Miki, I Believe Evanovich has 28 or 30 Plum books but she is an extremely prolific writer and has dozens of other books I’m looking forward to reading. She definitely interferes with my ability to get things done! :laughkick:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Domestic Revolution by Ruth Goodman.  Talks about how the transition to coal for fuel in England changed the world, including how we wash up, decorate houses, and cook.  It’s fascinating.

• Like 2

The Evanovich novels sound fun. I looked them up at my library and they have quite a few of them on CD. I'm going to see if I can get some for my next trip to Indy. I have a CD player over there I can play them on too.  

• Like 2

Finished 2 of the books I was reading and now have started another one. American Marxism by Mark R. Levin. This book has just come out and tells about where our country is heading. I think this is going to be an interesting read. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

I like seeing what everyone is reading!   

Just finished a biography, Bess Streeter Aldrich: The Dreams are All Real.    I really enjoyed it.   I have some of Bess Streeter Aldrich's books and like them very much; reading her biography makes me wish more of her books were still in print.    I like reading biographies, but I just couldn't get into the last one I read, which was Elizabeth Prentiss: More Love to Thee.  (Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss is wonderful!  One of those that I will want DD to read when she's older.)   

I have a stack or 2 sitting around, but I've been leaning towards the lighter reads lately.   During our homeschool summer break, DD has been going through a new (to her) book every few days :wub:   so I'm thankful I had a stack pre-read and put back for her.  I need to catch up for later, though.   I read through the 10 book set of Adventures of the Northwoods by Lois Walfrid Johnson.   DD's reading level is high, but I'm going to hold off giving those to her for another year or so.    They are good, clean, adventure/mystery books set in 1906 Minnesota. 

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary
  • Like 1

Lilac Girls by by Martha Hall Kelly, Forgotten skills of Self Sufficiency of Mormon Pioneers,  and more forgotten skills  by Caleb Warnock

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2021 at 6:32 PM, TheCG said:

The Domestic Revolution by Ruth Goodman.  Talks about how the transition to coal for fuel in England changed the world, including how we wash up, decorate houses, and cook.  It’s fascinating.

By the way, I finished this book in 2 days.  She goes into quite a bit of detail on even the system of cutting and maintaining trees for wood and construction in England prior to the transition to coal, and the actual differences in how you would cook, keep house, and wash up given different fuel sources.  

• Like 2