MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Are you currently selling on eBay?

We have been going through and clearing out etc. I have come up with some stuff that my grown son doesn't want anymore and, after looking on eBay, some of it is a little more valuable than selling in a yard sale.

So, I am debating going back to eBay. I quit a few years ago after it seemed to change its direction.

Are you selling?

What do you think of the present day eBay?

I have heard that PayPal is pretty much a requirement. Is that true? What your experiences with PayPal?

I have heard that they changed the feedback rules so that sellers cannot warn other sellers about problem buyers? Is that true?

I would appreciate any thoughts that might help me decide one way or the other.

Are you selling?

What do you think of the present day eBay?

I have heard that PayPal is pretty much a requirement. Is that true? What your experiences with PayPal?

I have heard that they changed the feedback rules so that sellers cannot warn other sellers about problem buyers? Is that true?

No, never have and do not want to.

Do not know what it is like right now.

I have heard that also about PP, I have a PP acct., but do not particularly like it.

And, I do not know about the feedback.

However, regarding PP, they will not allow any type of weapon sales. They will either deny the account or if it is approved, and they find you are selling, they will cancel the account. I have heard they also will keep any funds in the account when they cancel it.

Just my .02 cents.

It's been quite a few years since I sold on eBay so I'm not familiar with it's newest policies. When I did sell it was a positive experience for all of the transactions I did. I have had a PayPal account for years. I use it when I buy stuff online because I don't use credit cards and I don't like using my debit card that's connected to my checking account. I just upload money into it when I want to buy something online. I do remember it being a lot of work though....the preparing, etc.

Edited by dogmom4

I quit selling on Ebay a couple years ago...it got to be too big of a hassle. I left my Paypal account open but when I tried to access it I couldn't. I spent over an hour on the phone trying to prove I owned the account and she finally told me that she was cancelling my account and that I needed to open a new one. I told her that I still had money in my account and she told me that it was just too bad that it was forfeited....I asked her why it couldn't be transferred into the bank account tied to the account and was told that she couldn't do that.....No more Paypal for me.

On Facebook we have several local and regional 'sale' sites and I've had good luck with them. I've been considering selling on ETSY but am afraid I would have to deal with Paypal again. For online purchases I have a separate account for those purchases that's not tied to my regular bank account.

Things have changes and some for the better.

We like paypal as it gets you the money fast!

easy to move into your bank account or from bank to paypal.

Yes no more bad feedback as that was one thing getting out of hand.

Give it a try again and see what 'you think' about it, just watch the shipping fees (USPS) as they have gone up and IF you want to make money get the right amount for it.

Have fun!

:AmishMichaelstraw:

Things have changes and some for the better.

We like paypal as it gets you the money fast!

easy to move into your bank account or from bank to paypal.

Yes no more bad feedback as that was one thing getting out of hand.

Give it a try again and see what 'you think' about it, just watch the shipping fees (USPS) as they have gone up and IF you want to make money get the right amount for it.

Have fun!

:AmishMichaelstraw:

Well, I have heard that paypal is also a fast easy way to have your money go from bank to paypal back to the buyer due to some of the changes in policies. I have things that won't probably sell locally but are worth a little bit (at least the same item listed on eBay or Amazon seem to be). I did sell a bit on eBay back a ways but the almost requirement that you use Paypal is why I stopped.

I know about shipping fees. I deal with USPS shipping out Scrubbies. Scrubbies are very lightweight but take up space so I get clobbered for that. Scrubbies will not be something I try to sell on eBay.

I understood that the restriction on bad feedback was one sided (only buyers could contribute bad feedback, is that incorrect?).

Thanks for the info. I'll let you know what happens.

I used to be an Ebay seller but I have only sold a few stray items from time to time in recent years. I still buy on Ebay and pay via Paypal exclusively. Like Michael, I always appreciated getting the money through Paypal and having it loaded onto a Paypal debit card. I have never had a real problem with Paypal that I can recall.

Before you consider selling on Ebay, you might want to look up the types of items that you'd like to sell. You might be surprised to find that the items don't sell for a whole lot. I went back to buying the items that I collect (stamps and opera glasses) because I am able to get them so inexpensively on Ebay. There are many things that aren't selling well on Ebay right now.

Actually the reason I am thinking about selling on eBay is the value of the things I want to sell. I have been looking them up. Now, I am watching the auctions or buy it nows to see if they actually sell.

Somethings I really wonder about. I have something that is currently listed on Amazon in worse shape than the one I have and it is listed for over $500. I am waiting to see if it sells. I sold on eBay some time back but am not sure I like the way it is going. It was originally set up to be a venue to sell but it seems to have changed to you are almost a commission sales person. To me, a venue provides the service and then leaves you alone unless you do something fraudulent. Well, it desn't seem that way now. I am a little nervous about giving eBay and PayPal access to my bank account and not too sure about someone else making the decision to refund money and I have no say (at least that is what I have been told is the current policy).

• 2 years later...

My son sold an item about a year ago. He hoped to get more than $500 for it, but got well over $800, net of shipping and fees. Some things are very good sellers. My ex tried to sell a silver pocket watch, though, and the prices stagnated at such a low level he finally bought it himself.

I have stuff listed weekly on Ebay. I ended up with a bunch of my dad's toy collection (model trains, military books, model tanks and toy soldiers.) Been working on getting rid of the stuff for over 2 years now. I sold off most all the good stuff early on. Bought myself a freezer with the money. I will be glad to get my spare bedroom back one day, but that's a long way off. (He had a LOT of toys.)

Just remember that Ebay takes 10% of the final sale value AND 10% of the shipping fee. Paypal takes 3-5% (Can't remember their exact amount.)

Your best bet is look up the items you are thinking of selling. See what others have them listed for and then price yours below theirs. Take into consideration if they are offering free shipping too.

Also if you are on Face Book, look to see if there are any resale groups in your area. This way if you sale it through that means, you get to keep 100% of the money are only out a little time and gas to meet them for the exchange. I have not had as much luck with the resale groups but have moved a few items.

As for a Paypal account. We've had no problems. But, we went and opened a small checking account in a different bank than we normally deal with and linked the PP account to it. That way if it is hacked, no one gets our main account.

Edited by Daelith

They have been doing this for at least the last 3 years. Found out when I started selling my dad's stuff a couple of years ago.

And this is on the normal exact shipping fee. They will likely take 10% of an additional fee you put on there. The only way to avoid it is if you calculate the shipping into the item price and list it a free shipping. Either way though, they are getting 10%.

Said they started taking a percentage of the shipping because people were over charging on shipping too make up the for the final value fee.

AND 10% of the shipping fee.

WHA????? When did this happen???

• 2 weeks later...

I just talked to a friend of mine who has been listing her doll collection on Ebay. She has given up since she said it was more trouble than it was worth. She didn't sell a single doll she listed so it only cost her money.

Another friend of mine sells from her antique store and she says dolls are dead there too. She just packed all her dolls up to try to sell later. She is having a hard time too. She is just barely making enough on her other items to pay her rent. She works so hard too.

It seems like around here the only stuff selling like hotcakes are bass boats and fishing equipment!

I've been selling on eBay (again) after swearing a few years ago that I would never do it again after dealing with the "costs" and overall loss of any profit, but started again only because eBay was offering *free* listings on some things. Even so it is hardly worth it but I needed some extra money so I've been selling my late mother's costume jewelry at loss. Money in hand is better than useless (to me) jewelry stored in a drawer.....and I keep telling myself that when something sells for $2.00.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone here know anything about Annalee "dolls"? I have a friend with a big collection of them. She can't sell any of hers. She really thought they would be worth something but she is getting no offers on EBay or at her booth in an antique mall.

I don't know anything about Annalee "dolls" but a lot of experience with collectibles and the word "collectible" about says it all. They are designed to be collected and usually by a lot of people. Very few of them ever become rare enough to exceed their original price or otherwise become in-demand. Ebay is a good place to check out the potential selling price, but don't look at the active listing prices but rather the "sold" listings. I've got a house full of collectibles, both from my late father's acquisitions and from Estate sales (before I learned better). Many items I'm selling at 10% or less or their original value just to get rid of them if I'm not willing to continue holding them as a "collectible."