MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

MrsSurvival's 2012 Fall Gathering

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mt. Rider, of course I will keep my promise!!!! I would love to come but my finances aren't what they were when I was working in AZ. DH and I did a lot of talking but I don't see it happening. I was really wanting to help with the cheesemaking since I have been doing that here at the dairy. fI hope you all have the best time!!!!!! And know I will really miss seeing you all again and meeting Ma Steel, CGA and youngun and the other newcomers!!!!!!! Bet no one will miss my camera though!!!!!!LOL

If I may ask.... Is it traveling expenses or missing work that is the problem ?

Would be wonderful to see you again!

:tapfoot: OK, head count!! If I'm sending anything this time I have to know how many!

Mt_Rider heading for the airport... bagladyw.gif

After she arrives... bedjumper.gif

(The stuff I find when looking for a crafty smiley!!?) LOL

quiltbr.gif

I make pillowcases for the grandchildren and I plan to make a Christmas themed pillowcase for each of our children and their families. Would anyone, coming to the Fall Gathering , like to learn how to make them? Darlene has sewing machines, so just bring:3/4 yard of fabric for the main body of the pillowcase, 1/4 yard of fabric for the cuff of the pillowcase and approx. 1/8 yard of fabric for the trim between the main body and the cuff. They are super easy to make :)

I HAVE GOOSEBUMPS!!!!!!! I just spoke to Darlene about the Fall gathering. Don't laugh - but the key word is FALL

(as in autum). I didn't even know that October is high season for the tourist industry there, and how the heck did I not realize we were going to the mountains? (Probably, because we don't associate farm with mountain.) I feel silly, but will get over it and take any ribbing due. I told Darlene we would be the two standing around with our mouths agape at all the differences between here and there. Google is my friend, off to look at maps, hotels, attractions, history, geography.......

Now how do you "Fly" prepared? There are so many things not allowed on the airlines.

Ok, I have 28 people (+/-) coming so far:

Darlene , Madison and Jason

Stephanie 2 boys and 3 girls

Mt Rider

CGA and daughter

Ma and Pa Steele and dad

Andrea

Momo and hubby (no pressure Momo lolol)

wormguy

Gunplumber

MomM and hubby

Lisa in GA and 2 kids

MacKinnon and mom

Lovinit and hubby

Am I missing anyone?

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...I have soooooooooooo much to do before the gathering lol. The fun part will be to pull out alllllllllllllllll the massive pots and pans that I don't get to cook in often anymore lol. Gunplumber suggested that we do a pig roast...what do y'all think about that?

I'm excited and wish everyone could come!

Now how do you "Fly" prepared? There are so many things not allowed on the airlines.

I know this problem, lovinit!!! I'm gonna make Darlene stop at a store so I can buy at least a SAK before we get to her place. I'm trying not to have checked baggage [where a pocket knife would be perfectly fine] because of cost and bringing puppy on return flight. So I'm really limited.

Get a current list of what is and is not restricted...paying close attention to the difference between checked and carry-on bags.

Some ideas by category:

Light...anything is ok - flashlight, headlamp, etc [extra batteries]

Food...I bring some just in case -- dried fruit, nuts, crackers, and ..PB&J sandwiches, powdered energy drink with caffiene, energy bars, jerky, [i really AM hypoglycemic]

Water....I bring an empty water bottle thru security and fill it at the nearest water fountain. I will also bring the water bottle purifying device in the carry-on bag, but not in the bottle unless needed. [Like Katadyne or Berkey purifying water bottles]

Shelter...You can bring a tube tent, mylar emergency blanket, rain gear, large&sturdy garbage bag,AdventureMedicalKits Bivy Bag (size of a baseball) ...whatever. Any or all.

Communication ....cell phone, 2-way radios,.... ?

Identification...obviously this is required anyway.

First Aid/Medications/OTC.....Bring what might/IS necessary but watch the amount of liquids. Just in case, bring more perscription meds that needed for the few days!!!!!

Misc...

Kleenex (TP),

bandanas(multiple uses),

P95 air mask [is that too spooky for TSA?....er, I'm asthmatic??? :whistling: ],

AdventureMedicalPocketSurvivalKit (minus sharps): whistle, compass, cord, duct tape, signal mirror, magnifier,fishing kit, thread/needle,safety pins.

Problem areas:

Defense.....Um... :shakinghead: I will have my cane with me! I also have a personal alarm that merely makes NOISE. :shrug:

one cigg lighter :campfire: is permissible in carry-on ONLY, last time I checked....?

'Course, you are crossing a national border, lovinit. So might be differences.

I asked this question too, the last Gathering. What if the HooeyHitsFan while we are there and we have to STRUGGLE to get home? What things would we bring...just in case?

MtRider [...AAAUGH, computer is not working right and driving me :cheeky-smiley-067: ]

Edited by Mt_Rider
added a few things...

Ok, I have 28 people (+/-) coming so far:

Mt Rider

CGA and daughter

Ma and Pa Steele and dad

Andrea

wormguy

Gunplumber

MomM and hubby

Lisa in GA and 2 kids

MacKinnon and mom

Lovinit and hubby

Am I missing anyone?

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...I have soooooooooooo much to do before the gathering lol. The fun part will be to pull out alllllllllllllllll the massive pots and pans that I don't get to cook in often anymore lol. Gunplumber suggested that we do a pig roast...what do y'all think about that?

I'm excited and wish everyone could come!

I don't believe I saw my daughter and I on the list. Still trying to work it out. I put in for the time off from work, now the question is will the car make the trip. Will need directions on how to get there too. I am looking forward to it. I may not write on here that much, but I can't wait to meet all of you. It sounds like it will be so much fun

Deb2 of 9 AND mebbe Armyof5 ???? :cele: Goodness Darlene. We have to start having these Gatherings for more than a weekend.

HOW are we every going to get to talk to everyone who is coming....get to know them in person.... :gathering:

AND learn all the cool skills that everyone is sharing :lois::cook::band2:

AND eat yummy food :yum3:

AND...... :0327:

MtRider [....my BIGGEST, HARDEST prep for this Gathering is trying to get back on my feet with some energy after the past 3 months of drain. I wanna be in top form for this wonderful time!!!! :bounce: ]

Edited by Mt_Rider

Thanks Deb for the reminder...here's the updated list then so far:

Mt Rider

CGA and daughter

Ma and Pa Steele and dad

Andrea

wormguy

Gunplumber

MomM and hubby

Lisa in GA and 2 kids

MacKinnon and mom

Lovinit and hubby

Deb2of9 and daughter

A5G and children

Don't forget that we're having the get together a little longer...Friday-Sunday is too short so we're doing Thursday-Sunday. Everyone is welcome to come early and stay late but the actual gathering will be then.

I stopped at the grocery store this morning to pick up a few things I needed and saw a few things on sale that we'll need for the gathering so I'm trying to get organized early so that I can enjoy everyone that is coming.

This is going to be awesome!

I'm still on the tentative list. I have to wait and make sure that DH doesn't have an out of town job that weekend before I book my flight. I can't leave the 87 mil and 16 dd alone without a driver for that many days. The good news is that there are several very affordable flights into Atlanta so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I'll let you know as soon as I book my ticket!

I make pillowcases for the grandchildren and I plan to make a Christmas themed pillowcase for each of our children and their families. Would anyone, coming to the Fall Gathering , like to learn how to make them? Darlene has sewing machines, so just bring:3/4 yard of fabric for the main body of the pillowcase, 1/4 yard of fabric for the cuff of the pillowcase and approx. 1/8 yard of fabric for the trim between the main body and the cuff. They are super easy to make :)

Sounds fun! My two girls are budding seamstresses. We did a jelly-roll pillowcase that tuned out cute. Can't wait to see what you show us. Thanks for the supply list.

Sounds fun! My two girls are budding seamstresses. We did a jelly-roll pillowcase that tuned out cute. Can't wait to see what you show us. Thanks for the supply list.

It is the jelly roll pillowcase or also called 90 minute pillowcase. Would they like a different project?