MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jori

Dark Sheers as Black out curtains?

The kids have winter curtains that are white or off white in color. They let in ALOT of lot and we are having fights getting them to bed at 8 or a little after, they are up early. I don't want to go by blackout curtains unless I really have to. I know eventually I will breakdown and do it. But would a dark colored sheer between the curtain and the blinds do the same thing?

WE have just 'cheap' black fabric ( the part facing out turns gray from the sun so not seen as blackout curtains from the road) that I put a big hem in top and little hem in bottom and use between curtains and windows. Have them in upstairs bedrooms to help keep them cool in summer (no light get in to heat up room). Also in some rooms downstairs to keep them in the dark during the day. other rooms without them get warm - but all you have to do is walk into a 'dark' room and feel how much cooler it is without air conditioning. All we have is a small fan to move the air around when we are in the room.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

We have Eclipse brand thermaback blackout curtains on several windows. It's not necessarily the color, but the thickness of the material that blocks out the light. The backing of the blackout curtains is a very heavy material, but is white in color. I have seen that they make that same material in liners for curtains (and made by Eclipse) that you can buy and attach to your present curtains, but it was more expensive than the blackout curtains!

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary

No, IMHO, a dark sheet won't work well. Not heavy enough. But Lowes has some cheap blackout shades (less than $12) that work great.