MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Wednesday and time for everyone to check in...

Gosh, it's already the last week of June. Where do the days go????

We're busy around here with gardening, haying and just the typical stuff to keep the farm going.

We finally had 1 1/2" of rain last week. It's not near enough but hopefully enough to keep things growing until the next measureable rain. We that don't irrigate are at the mercy of Mother Nature. She, though, has always been good to us so I'm not complaining, just sayin'.

I canned 11 pints of black raspberries yesterday. The bottom broke out of one jar. What a mess but really not as bad as I thought the syrupy stuff would be. In all my canning it's only the 2nd time it's happened and thankfully both broke off while in the canner.

I keep thinking of those in the stormy areas and the burning areas. Stay safe everyone and know many prayers are being said for all of you!!!

How are the rest of you doing and what's going on in your world? Hope you have a great day!!!

Hi! :wave:

It's been very dry here, too. The humidity has been very low and the temps in the low 70s. I want the rest of the summer to be that cool! Tomorrow the heat and humidity are coming back and staying for what looks like at least a week. I'm trying to get some things done around the house today so I don't have as much to do when it's hot.

I saw the fires on the news....:pray: Has Mt Rider checked in with anyone? I thought of her!

Hi all! I'm in the middle of my crazy summer. The boys are 1/2 done with their hike and said they are eating better than anyone they've run into. While everyone else is eating noodle mixes for dinner, they're having a 3 course meal of flavored instant potatoes, a dehydrated meal with meat, veggies and lots of complex carbs and pudding. DD is at camp for 1 more day. I go get her early Friday. The weather was pleasant for our DC trip which was a good time and has remained so until tomorrow when temps are supposed to reach the 100's here in KY. :/ At least it's not muggy like home. Hope everyone is having a good summer!

Hot and dry here! We have been over 100 for the last 4 or 5 days. We had a 600+ acre grass fire about 9 miles from us yesterday. Thankfully it was contained and out within a couple of hours. We are smelling the smoke from the Colorado Springs fire and I have had to have the air purifier going along with the swamp cooler.

Dry here too but not as dry as some of you have, thankfully. Hot and humid today and supposed to be close to 100 or over tomorrow. Heat indexes of 110 degrees plus. Not normal for June here. Blackberries ripening almost a month early but we're grateful for them. Domestic red raspberries ripening daily, mulberries still holding and DH has been bringing in a bowl full almost daily despite the poison ivy and mosquito guards.

I am really worried about Mt_Rider and her parents. I sure hope she checks in again soon. Fires, floods, droughts.....who needs more reasons to be prepared. :gaah:

:bighug2:

We're kinda dry here but there's no real danger of fire. Our lawn is turning brown, so we don't have to mow it right now. Keeping the prayers going for all of those in the path of the Colorado fires and Florida flooding.

Yesterday, I weeded one of my overgrown raised beds that I'm not really using. I'm just trying to break the cycle of weeds that hubby created by blowing grass clippings into it last year. We have a few ripe strawberries on the canes, but not enough to make anything with,yet.

Fires, floods and droughts, indeed! Please stay safe everyone!

Hot, hot, hot here, 110+ and humid with dust storms and 50 mph wind. It has been as high as 117 in the shade and only cools down to the high 80's.

Dark clouds moved in around sunset and gave us a few minutes of virga (sp) rain, only a few drops hit the ground and evaporated instantly.

:knary: Recovering from a bout of heat stroke, trying to rebuild my stamina. Thank God for my DH. :knary:

I installed shade screen over the zucchini plants, they are flowering but not fruiting. Long green chili are flowering. The tomato plants are still flowering and producing. We got our first vine ripe tomato last week and have gathered a dozen since. PTL! I had to move the spearmint plant to a more shaded area because it was turning brown and withered from sunburn. All the plants and trees around here wilt by noon lately. Noticing several houses utilizing shade screens to protect their plants.

Keeping all in the path of danger in my prayers.... :pray:

Finally getting some good weather here on the coast of Wa. We did not have a spring, so I lost alot of veg plants. Given what others are having to deal with in regard to weather---I will never complain again about ours. I will resolve myself to being quiet. Take care ladies---I sure enjoy you all !

Yesterday was a beautiful day. The highs in the 70's with a nice breeze. Today the bottom is about to fall out. Summer is returning with a few days in the 90's coming up. Ugh.

My son took this week off from work for a vacation. HAH! He came over here everyday so far working in my yard. He removed about 50---- 22 year old barberries from my back yard and 4 huge arborvite trees. The barberries have stickers and were horrible. He got the roots and all. Bless him. I had the shrubs removed from the front yard so the rest of his 'vacation' will be spent replanting and mulching. I'm sure he will be glad to go back to work and away from me. I didn't ask him to so all of this but I sure do appreciate it and owe him big time. I told him he's back in the will. :008Laughing:

Edited because he didn't remove 5022 bushes from my yard. Nor were they 5022 years old. They were 50 bushes 22 years old. :cheeky-smiley-067:

Edited by Jeepers

I'm checking in about every other day from "vacation". It's warm today but we're not doing much. We went to Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids, MI on Monday. That was very nice.

http://www.meijergardens.org/gardens_experience/

Mt_Rider sounds like she's still doing OK. Keep praying for the people where the fires are, and where they threaten.

Stay safe, stay cool, and I'm praying for rain for all of us who need it! :pray:

:grouphug: