MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Start hitting those food sales...

Gasoline has continued to stay rather high in price, despite little, occasional bumps down that the media crows happily about and points to as a great economic indicator *just* before gas again jumps UP 20 cents! :shakinghead:

Gasoline affects prices because it is involved in food production (plowing, planting, tending, harvesting, transportation to preservation/usage, and distribution to consumers). You'd better believe it affects food costs! :(

The corn crop in the Midwest is looking like it will be a terrible loss. Our news said last night that even if we got rain now, much of our corn crop is nearly gone. Farmers have to decide whether to risk waiting for rain, use what's there a now as "silage" (green food for cattle/ruminants - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silage ) or risk losing even that if it dries completely.

Corn is put into products that people don't often consider. Corn syrup, corn starches... I did a quick search and learned a lot more.

PDF list - "Foods Containing Corn"

http://fauquierent.net/allergy/allergy-corn.pdf

"Corn Allergens" list of things to avoid for a corn allergy. Would you believe frozen vegetables? Toothpaste? Plastic containers?

http://www.cornallergens.com/list/avoid-corn-products.php

"List of Foods Containing Fructose Corn Syrup"

http://www.livestrong.com/article/35128-list-foods-containing-fructose-corn/

And that's not looking at the corn used to feed cattle (beef), hogs (pork), turkeys and chicken (poultry).

Soybeans in this area are still pretty small and a lot of what I'm seeing *might* still be salvageable if rain comes. But some looks stunted, and I'm no expert who knows for sure. (Farmers alternate corn and soybeans in fields year-to-year because beans put nitrogen into the soil and corn depletes it.)

Cherries and grapes and fruit trees were frozen by late frosts. Grape and apple juice will jump, if it hasn't already. I'm hearing peaches coming out now aren't good enough to home can.

It's still hard to know yet what other crops might be affected. Will enough tomatoes survive? There goes everything from the juice in your Bloody Mary to pizza sauce on your Pizza Hut pizza. (Just pointing out that the effects are far-reaching, for restaurants as well as the grocery stores.)

If corn costs skyrocket, meat will become cheap for a while because farmers will just sell their animals for meat, meaning a glut in the consumer market. But then it will jump high because the remaining animals will be eating higher-cost grains.

The foods that sit on the shelf now are last year's crops. Just about any food you buy today will be saving you from tomorrow's high prices. If you find a great sale, *stock up*! And the foods last longer than the "use by" date indicates. Studies have been done that show that. (There's a thread or two around here about that. sherlocksmile.gif )

If you can or freeze or dehydrate, you may find it much higher in cost to buy plant products to can. Maybe you'll find some good deals on meats soon, but don't think it will stay low in price for a long time.

The rest of the world isn't going to step in and send us food without a high cost. May of them depend on our farmers' high production rates for their own food needs. Other places around the world have weather-related setbacks going on.

Think ahead, shop sales *now*, be smart *now* so you'll have what you need later. Our world is increasingly inter-connected so that shortages in one area affects the entire world's markets.

:bighug2:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is exactly what I was thinking about today. It makes me really nervous though because we are now a one income family and prices are so much higher down here. At home I could play the coupon game and get double coupons and really stock up but here....no. I DID see that Fred's had all of their dried beans for $1 which I haven't seen in a while. I'm thinking of planning a trip home and planning it around my fav grocery store's sale....order my coupons then stock up on my visit

I've noticed the sales in the stores seem to not be there when I look at the ads. :( I've really had to adjust my thoughts when it comes to prices that are worth buying at.

I'm feeling nervous about the food prices by the holidays.

Looks like I'll be visiting the canning company for extra cases of dents this week!

Edited by kappydell

I could KNOCK MY HUSBAND IN THE HEAD!! Before we moved he sold my deep freezer. He "said" it was not working....I beg to differ. At any rate I only have my refrigerator freezer.

I was able to get one of those very large boneless pork tenderloins today for $15 and I plan to cut it up. They also had 2 lb rolls of hamburger for $5.49. At the other stores 1 lb was $3.49 so I got several of the 2lb rolls and divided it in half. I also lucked up and got bags of boneless skinless chicken breast for $4.99. If I work it right I have enough meat for the rest of July's meals.

DH couldn't understand why I was cutting the HB rolls in half....I told him that he needed to just leave all that to me. He brings in the check and my job is to stretch it.

I really want to get some canned meats like the can ham. My budget is just so tight I have to figure out how I can cut corners in order to start restocking the preps

I could KNOCK MY HUSBAND IN THE HEAD!! Before we moved he sold my deep freezer. He "said" it was not working....I beg to differ. At any rate I only have my refrigerator freezer.

I was able to get one of those very large boneless pork tenderloins today for $15 and I plan to cut it up. They also had 2 lb rolls of hamburger for $5.49. At the other stores 1 lb was $3.49 so I got several of the 2lb rolls and divided it in half. I also lucked up and got bags of boneless skinless chicken breast for $4.99. If I work it right I have enough meat for the rest of July's meals.

DH couldn't understand why I was cutting the HB rolls in half....I told him that he needed to just leave all that to me. He brings in the check and my job is to stretch it.

I really want to get some canned meats like the can ham. My budget is just so tight I have to figure out how I can cut corners in order to start restocking the preps

Pressure canning your stored meats makes them shelf stable. The downside of a deep freeze are power outages, like most of WV experienced this past week. Unless you have a generator and plenty of gas to keep it going, you could lose all your meat stores at once.

Soooo... who know... it may be a blessing in the long run that your hubby was "inspired" to sell the freezer! :)

I will be cleaning out my freezers and fridges today. Our supplies are not where they should be and I need to do a good inventory and start making my lists. I've been slacking lately, but I cannot continue to do so.

I'm planning to dedicate $100 per week to stocking up for the next two weeks. That is money that I've been using to pay down the mortgage, but I think that this will be a good use of resources... a necessary expenditure in light of the skyrocketing cost of groceries. $200 isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, but it should help to plug some of the holes.

We had rain early this morning. I've been freezing blueberries like crazy. I missed out on most of strawberry season, the kids ate them or they weren't very good. I have a gallon bag of corn frozen and about a gallon of green beans. My basil is going to flower and I'm trying to decide if I should run out and pick up the stuff to make pesto so I can freeze it. I might risk the $ and try and freeze some of the peaches and try and make peach lemonade. :mellow: I need to go pick up several pounds of green peppers to chop and put in the freezer.

Don't forget this will affect the price of clothing again. Cotton, spun fibers anything that comes from a plant or sheered that needs the rain or the food that isn't there. Walmart had some really cute fine corduroy on clearance so I picked up a few yards for skirts and jumpers for DD.

Wheat prices will be way up because Russia is flooded.

On the subject of the freezer and a loss of power (or as DD and DS1 refer to it a power cut because they love the Fireman Sam cartoon), BIL had a brilliant idea/thought. If you have a generator and you do lose power use the genny and few hours a day for a few days to keep the freezer cold while you can what is in it. You don't want to use it for a long time because you'll draw attention to yourself and most people will be out of gas by then.

TS Debby wiped out the tomatoes around here. Of course, the heat was about ready to kill them, but we should have had another couple of weeks of heavy picking.

Thanks for the heads-up on the bad crop. My garden has basically curled up and died from the heat wave (despite lots of watering). The lilies I planted this spring are lasting 5 minutes before they lose their bloom. The peonies I planted went on strike, though my hydrangeas are VERY happy (maybe due to half shade?)

When the weather breaks I may make another attempt at short-season veggies. Being lazy on mowing the lawn has been a blessing; otherwise I'd have brown stubble about now.

I just need to re-organize and take a good inventory of what I have now. Then start plugging holes. While I'm content to be semi-vegetarian, my husband would never go for it. And he turns up his nose at canned meat, too. :shakinghead:

HA!!!....I HAD a generator but that man sold it too!!! I mean WHO does that??? We are moving to hurricane country :banghead: He SAYS it was broke too. Hmph!!!

Anyway.....that might be a new skill for me to learn. Love the idea of taking the $100 to put towards preps this month. Our budget is shoestring thin but I'm going to find a way to pull some money to do the same. Mine has gotten a bit thin.

Edited by ANewMe

HA!!!....I HAD a generator but that man sold it too!!! I mean WHO does that??? We are moving to hurricane country :banghead: He SAYS it was broke too. Hmph!!!

Anyway.....that might be a new skill for me to learn. Love the idea of taking the $100 to put towards preps this month. Our budget is shoestring thin but I'm going to find a way to pull some money to do the same. Mine has gotten a bit thin.

My husband wouldn't dare!! Just this morning, he had to use my big powerstation to boost a neighbor's car. We don't like to use our car for this type of task. We have two of them. One was a gift from our daughter to him for Christmas. He never charged it. Mine is always kept charged! I notice that he (finally) plugged his in to charge up, too! My powerstation is really convenient to have because it can power a light or a fan, though I'm not sure how long it will last. Maybe, I can test it today...

No fruit and veg in the garden, they have drowned, I guess 6 weeks of rain will do that, June has been recorded as one of the wetest in over 60 years and July dosen't seem to be much better. Thankfully I don't live in a area that is prone too flooding.

It was also reported on last nights news that Russia has had the worst amount of rainfall in 60 years, there are over hundred people dead and these numbers are expected to rise dramatically over the next few days, My heart and prayer go out to these familys.

I had this thread and thoughts in my head all day today as I sat in church, and when I went to finish up some food shopping.

Here are my thoughts.

1) DO NOT PREP FROM FEAR! Do not let fear of the unknown be your only overriding motivation. Don't give into a knee jerk reaction to whats going on around the world but rather make well thought out plans and think your way though it. Plan your work then work your plan.

2) Its always good to stock up on the things you will be using and will be needing no matter what the cost/shortage. I'm trying to work out a months menu and plan it in advance. I plan to get a little over what is needed just to cover the "what ifs".

3). Put some money away NOW!!! Start a savings plan now no matter what the income is. Every little bit will help when the crunch time hits. As I joke with my friends I tell them to use the Native American's savings plan: "Tukabuka Weekaway". Sound it out slowly, you'll get it. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

4) Trust in the Lord to see you through this and protect your family. Seek His guidance and His will daily. If He can feel The multitudes He can see us through this even if we have to tighten our belts some.

5) Tell others and help them to be ready. There will be some who will poo poo your "paranoia, crazy talk" but many will heed your warnings if done out of a love for them.

Robie :amen:

robie, its not fear its common sense, we have been seeing major crops affected by weather for some years now and along with gas prices, and yea speculation or worse , actual goofing up of the Hormuz straights from Iran may put a kink in oil exports shortly so gas just gets higher in cost, its all relative..... do what you can. ( Yes , our US forces and other nations are building up in the Gulf right now and everyone is edgy, including all the ME countries and the Saudi's also are in position as is Turkey to fight Iran and other countries if necessary.) Saudis need that straight open too! I think they have troops ready against more than five countries. ME ones that is, but not Israel, its the other guys, so to speak. It all can affect the flow of oil outbound. They will protect their pipelines and such from Iran.

The corn crop is also feed crops and with the droughts and lousy pasturage and less hay...... well beef is definitely affected too .... chickens? Pork?

Do what you can is what I say. Each of us is a little bit different........ but yea having a generator and selling it?????? ugh. And the newer ones are awful from all I hear.

And all the other foods corn goes in to, like Cat covered.... its so widespread. Soda pop if you like a supply of that.....

TMC I would love to get some info , a pic, the brand and model number stuff on that power station you have since you charge it up to keep it handy. Might be something really useful to me .

Edited by arby

Maybe it's just me, but I would rather have food in my house than money in the bank. The interest rate I "save" by buying my food ahead vs it sitting there earning .00005% or whatever it is means I come out ahead. Yes, we should all have a bit of a bumper to pay bills if income disappears, but here it goes into things we can need first and foremost.

My six months worth of preps/food is what saved us when we were hit with unexpected bills that nearly made us homeless again. Food stamps were out because we don't have kids.

TMC I would love to get some info , a pic, the brand and model number stuff on that power station you have since you charge it up to keep it handy. Might be something really useful to me .

Here is a post from my old blog about the portable powerstation. There is a photo about halfway down:

http://mission-2-mars.blogspot.com/search/label/playhouse%20coop

I never did get to test how long it can actually power a standard lamp with a compact flourescent bulb in it. Instead, I spent time fixing my aging laptop. (I did fix it, too! Yaaaay!)I will be working from home tomorrow, so I will try to test it then and post a report.

Thanks TMC, I am going through my old laptop just now too, lol. mostly updates ad want to do the dwcg test thingy.

Just to make sure. New laptop was clear according to that site.

I will check out your link !

Maybe it's just me, but I would rather have food in my house than money in the bank. The interest rate I "save" by buying my food ahead vs it sitting there earning .00005% or whatever it is means I come out ahead. Yes, we should all have a bit of a bumper to pay bills if income disappears, but here it goes into things we can need first and foremost.

My six months worth of preps/food is what saved us when we were hit with unexpected bills that nearly made us homeless again. Food stamps were out because we don't have kids.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Growing and preserving food was considered common sense when I was growing up. Even the grocery stores would have storerooms in the back where they would store a few extra weeks' food in case a winter storm hit. Now hardly any store does that. And in an emergency, when it's gone, it's gone.

It was my stocking up on sales, canning, and freezing that helped get us through rough times, too. We got trapped between two house payments for a year and the credit card debt from that year is finally nearing its end. One year the school helped us with a food box at Christmas. It was a blessing but very difficult to accept.

My kids still don't see the need, but hopefully one day they will understand and see it as "smart".

:blush:

I have had a lot of tough times in the past couple years so I try to do what I can. It has helped me alot. I am no where near where I feel outfitted though like i feel I should be by now, but it makes a difference 90 % of the time for me already.

Well, I prefer to have plenty of food but we don't have a dependable source of income right now so I have to be very careful with what we have(we still have a mortgage). I have been getting nervous about the safety of the money we have in the bank. Our bank is a community bank and very stable but you never know.

I will be cleaning out my freezers and fridges today. Our supplies are not where they should be and I need to do a good inventory and start making my lists. I've been slacking lately, but I cannot continue to do so.

I'm planning to dedicate $100 per week to stocking up for the next two weeks. That is money that I've been using to pay down the mortgage, but I think that this will be a good use of resources... a necessary expenditure in light of the skyrocketing cost of groceries. $200 isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, but it should help to plug some of the holes.

And remember if you have a fixed rate mortgage that if there's inflation, the $100 you're using to pay down the mortgage now "costs" a lot more than the $100 you'd use to pay the monthly payment 10 years from now. Think about what $100 would buy 10 years ago versus now.

Gas prices in 2002

Gasoline prices rose nearly 3 cents a gallon in the last two weeks, an industry analyst said Sunday.

The average weighted price at the pump nationwide, including all grades and taxes, was about $1.45 a gallon Friday, according to the Lundberg Survey of 8,000 stations nationwide. Gasoline cost about $1.42 a gallon on average Dec. 6, the date of the previous such survey.