MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dental Exam Today

I had a dental exam today. UGH! I have 1 cavity that is wedged between two back teeth one being a crown. Sooooo, now he has to remove the crown, fill the cavity on the other tooth and replace the other crown. The crown in question is a gold one about 30 years old. I told him I wanted the crown back. He looked at me like I was crazy. He said, "You do know that it isn't pure gold and most of it is just an alloy to make it strong enough to hold up." I was a smart a$$ and not in the mood so I said, "You do know what the price of gold is today don't you?" He laughed and said I'd get the crown back. He was probably gonna pocket my tooth! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I know it's probably worthless but I paid for it and it's mine.

I digressed. I had a cleaning, x-rays and consultation and it was $190.00. The filling and new crown will be $1,300.00. Dang. This isn't a fancy schmancy place either. I pay about $1,000.00 a month for health insurance and it doesn't include dental care.

So if you still have a job and still have insurance, be sure to get your teeth maintenance up to date now while you can!

All is not lost though. I get have me some laughing gas in a couple of weeks. I love when they strap on Mr. Happy Nose. B)

Just reading the title had my stomach churning... I have an appt. in a couple weeks that I am dreading. I know I have at least one cavity, it's been so long since I've been there. Really dreading finding out the $$$...

This year is the first year I had dental benefits (calling it 'insurance' is silly)* since I graduated from college. I just paid cash for cleanings/exams and, unfortunately, all 4 wisdom teeth removed. Sadly, good jobs with good benefits packages have been hard to find for a long time.

Then I moved to a different region and it took a while to find an honest dentist and find the time to go. My first cavities popped up in that visit. :( At least I had dental benefits but I am needle-phobic. I hope your dentist does a first class job! I also hope our healthcare providers start making cash deals easier to do.

*Warning: rant follows.

"Insurance" is meant to cover unforseen, significant misfortunes. You bust your wrist. Your pipes freeze, a deer totals your car, or another driver totals a family member. The BIG stuff. A sinus infection, chip in your windshield, new eyeglasses, or a couple of cavities really don't belong in the sphere of "insurance" because they are high probability, predictable/forseeable events. However, if your eyeball gets injured or a tooth gets knocked out in a fall, that IS usually covered by health insurance.

If you look into buying dental 'coverage' on an individual basis, you find that you're spending between 1/3 and 1/2 your annual coverage limit in the premiums you pay each year. There are also waiting periods of 6 months to a year on anything other than basic cleaning/exam. If you get dental benefits with your employer, you won't have the waiting periods for coverage. If your employer isn't paying anything toward the premium, though, the math still stinks.

If you're north of 40, you have a good chance of needing eyeglasses. Budget accordingly. And keep in mind the above if you're asking yourself why "coverage" on these are not always included on employer plans and most definitely not on individually bought policies.

I am not accusing anybody here of whining like an Occupier! But we did a number on our mentality as we built the notion that Anything healthcare-related "should" be employer-paid. Or government-paid, depending on the complainers' political beliefs. This rant honed during several years of working in an insurance office.

:soapbox:

</rant>

(Insurance.... worked for a national company for 5 years, then worked with the providers to negotiate and implement their coverage for county employees for another 5 years... nuf said.)

Dentists are a thorn in my side. The day we got married, DH had a dental appointment and they pulled 2 teeth without nova cane. DH got his teeth fixed before he retired. My teeth were wonderful, a few chips, no cavities, then, I was grinding my teeth one day, trying not to cry, *SNAP*. I finally broke down and went. They extracted it and put in a bridge. Horror of horrors, naïvety doesn't protect you, they ruined two other teeth to make the bridge and did NOT tell me what they were going to do. I had to stop them and make them tell me why they were drilling? :gaah:

Long story short, I have had trouble with my teeth ever since, my primary care physician gives me antibiotics without any problem. I finally went to the dentist again, DH made me. The dentist gives me the worst news, 'consider a full set of dentures'. Really??!!!! My teeth are strong and solid, however, osteoporosis has made my bones so fragile the teeth are breaking my jaw bones. MIL took it on herself to schedule an appointment with her dentist when I go to TX this month. :shakinghead: My conclusion, wait...... until absolutely necessary... I have a good set of pliers.. :faint3: