MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Using up pickled beets...?

I made some pickled eggs for my DH and lilDD. The ones we love are boiled eggs, peeled, and then pickled in the leftover beet juices from canned pickled beets.

I just put the eggs into a half gallon jar and dumped almost two jars of beets and juices on top. Great eggs.

But now I have way too many leftover pickled beets to just nibble on. I looked up "recipes using pickled beets" and see that some people use them like chopped pickles in macaroni and potato salads. I might try that. Sounds like the salad turns a pretty pink! :P

Anyone else have ideas?

OH... and I saw this quote in the responses. It cracks me up. Somehow the phrase "TOO MUCH INFORMATION!" seems rather appropriate...

I ate an entire jar of them once, straight up, when I was little. Delicious. I pooped purple the next day.

:blink:

:24: :24: :24:

I love beets any way you can make them. Harvard beets are my favorite. I also like them with orange butter sauce.I don't make beets often because I'm the only one that likes them but Dh will help me eat them. I didn't know he didn't care for them until the kids were old enough to whine about me making them.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/grandmas-harvard-beets/

http://southernfood.about.com/od/beets/r/bl30609f.htm

I wonder if you rinsed them if you could use them in Borsch (sp?). Might even be good not rinsed. :happy0203:

Or use them with smoked sausage, taters, carrots instead of kraut?

• 3 months later...

I chop mine, add miracle whip and raw chopped onions for a pickled beet salad. Some prefer sour cream. It does make a loverly pink salad...