MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

It wasn't the cat.

Yesterday Son said he heard a animal under the kitchen sink. I told him it was the cat. she likes to hide there. He said the cat was in the living room.

We looked under the sink and didn't see anything.

We went to a friend's house for dinner last night. Son didn't want to go so he stayed home.

He called me. He heard something under the sink so he opened the door. Out popped a squirrel. it ran into the living room jumped over the dog and was trying to climb the wall. Son tossed a towel over it and took it outside.

Now I have to figure out where the squirrel got in and I told the dog she wasn't doing her job.

Although to be fair to the dog she is starting to show her age.

Kind of a cute story but could have been a disaster! Glad your son caught it and got it outside w/o getting bit. Our dog would have lost his mind and climbed the walls to get it. Maybe you better be glad your's was calmer! :)

I had a squirrel, mice and a snake get into the house before I discovered they were getting in under the kitchen sink. There is a big hole that the plumbing goes thru and I couldn't reach it. However, they were entering the room thru a gap between the sink cabinet and the dishwasher cubby. I closed that off tight.

If you live in a mobile, there are huge holes around all the plumbing runs and usually hidden from your view by cupboards or tubs.

In all the years we did wildlife rescue, squirrels were our most prevalent in-house calls. They can get in very small places but mostly we would find them coming in chimney's that had no screens and soffits that allowed them access to the attic or into walls where they could make their way down to lower floors. Overhanging trees gives them the 'ladder' they need but they can also go up poles and across electric or phone wires to the house. We have taken them out of chimneys, out of furnaces, closets, basements, and even out of a china closet (yup, got in when the door was left open and caused a lot of damage not to mention scaring the lady of the house half to death).

For what it's worth, squirrels rarely carry rabies but they can give a very nasty bite and are quite adept at turning to protect itself. They are very quick and notoriously hard to catch so your son did well, Gofish. They can chew through things a whole lot worse than a mouse or even a rat and I highly reccommend they be kept OUTSIDE. :grinning-smiley-044: (The little buggers are adorable when young though.)

:bighug2:

Looking around I noticed some of our soffits have fallen down. I'll have to get Dh to put them back up. The squirrels are becoming a problem this year. Son has killed 3 squirrels so far with his air riffle. He just didn't want to kill it in the house.

Most of the time the dog would have gone berserk but the last few weeks we have noticed she is slowing way down.

( :behindsofa: ---> Mother...carefully bringing up the fact that squirrel makes for good eating. )

At my beach cabin, we have filled small gaps and holes with steel wool. It works great. They will not chew thru it and it's easy to stuff into a small area.

I'd like to know what bright person thought up using foam covered with foil for ductwork under mobile homes? That is so easily ripped up and makes a perfect highway for critters to enter. I no longer have ducts or vents and feel much more secure. I think there is still an opening under a sink but I stuffed around all the pipes with caulk and that seems to have stopped most of the incursions.

Now if I could find where the red devils are coming in and stop that, I'd be happy.

I hated going under the crawl space of the one mobile home to do that kind of work, CGA! Regular house wouldn't bother me at all though, or not as much. I would have got a friend to do that for me and paid him and fed him homemade pizza , lol. For doing it for me. Thats one of those things I cannot manage to manage doing, lol.

gofish, hope you all get the holes plugged up good before they come back in!

When I was doing in home care for several months in western NC one year, about a year before I moved east again actually, I used to feed table scraps to the old possum who would come up each evening expecting it although the old farmhouse was vacant half the year that year. I was glad he didn't insist on trying to get into that old house. They have the gnarliest teeth. He was a grouchy fellow. Old as the hills I think but I would have had to call someone to help catch him I think. I would have been too busy keeping Old Ollie from trying to get at him I bet. She was 90 yrs old. She sure was determined , I can say that for her.

I have had to catch a bat stuck inside a screened in patio and luckily my roomie brought his boxer dogs into the house. I used a dog treats container that was clear and the lid to carefully and quietly capture him and release him outside. He flew in the doorway one afternoon and was panicking to get out with the dogs barking at him the whole time.

You need to be careful of bats biting you too. It was beautiful, seeing it so close up. Their wing bones are so fine and the skin which is furry is translucent so you see the bones and veins through them actually. It was so frightened. I thought timid, in a sense. I think they just startle people mostly, zipping around .

They would come sweeping over a creek or river at dusk and if you were trout fishing they would be after the insects and avoid your fishing rod tip too, wheeling all over in front of you. This one must have liked roomies yard since he had fruit trees that attracted insects.

I have had to catch a bat stuck inside a screened in patio and luckily my roomie brought his boxer dogs into the house. I used a dog treats container that was clear and the lid to carefully and quietly capture him and release him outside. He flew in the doorway one afternoon and was panicking to get out with the dogs barking at him the whole time.

You need to be careful of bats biting you too. It was beautiful, seeing it so close up. Their wing bones are so fine and the skin which is furry is translucent so you see the bones and veins through them actually. It was so frightened. I thought timid, in a sense. I think they just startle people mostly, zipping around .

Bats are kinda cute. My grandmother was a Church Lady, one of the key-holders. She'd check up on the place, do a little cleaning...and one day found a bat in the basement hall. Grandma just FREAKED. The bat had exhausted itself and was lying on the floor. I grabbed a broom and dustpan, carefully slid the little critter onto it, and took it outside.

If the little guy could've gotten away from three women peering down at him I think he would have already. I didn't touch him, so what's the big deal? Grandma was shrill enough to rival the bat's vocal range! Heck, I'm pondering bat houses around my yard to help with the skeeters.

• 1 year later...

Son and DH took DD2 to college and they should be back sometime today.
Last night DD2 went to a party so it was just me and shy cat, Sadie the dog at home.

The basement stairs are in the garage and so is the washer and dryer (who in their right mind puts a washer in a garage in Indiana?) :sigh:

I was out in the garage doing some laundry :clothesline: with Sadie. She is old and doesn't hear or see well but she was sniffing around when I heard the basement door open. :puzzledsmile: Our house was a estate sale and the woman passed away at home. We have lived here 21 years and I don't believe in ghost. The door doesn't latch but it is heavy enough something bigger than a mouse had to open it. Something about the size of a small shy cat.

I mumbling about having to go find a shy cat that is good at hiding in a basement full of hiding places but first I needed some more clothes to fill the washer. I walked in the house to get another basket full of clothes when I saw Samara sitting in the dinning room licking her paw. :puzzledsmile::scratchhead::shakinghead::huh::blink::o

So what's in the basement? :runcirclsmiley2::sSig_help2::hidingsmile:

Sadie wanted to go see but I think I'll wait until DH gets home.

Edited by gofish

( :behindsofa: ---> Mother...carefully bringing up the fact that squirrel makes for good eating. )

Especially the BRAINS! .....................................................at least Miss Kay likes 'em. ;)

"Squirrel brains make you smart." — Kay kay3.jpg
Edited by Midnightmom

There's some in my freezer. DH labeld the freezer bag "Woodland critters".

:laughkick:

When I saw the cat in the house I went over put the laundry basket in front of the garage door, turned off the garage light and walked away.

I was so freaked out I didn't even rembember to lock the garage door.