MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Lehman's And Walmart Trip

I made a quick run to Lehmans today. It's the only place I can find Clear Jel around here. Picked up a few other things I can't find locally too. I found a cake rack thing that will fit in the bottom of my canner for small jars. I can also use it as a second layer rack. Darn, I should have picked up two. One for the bottom and one for the middle. I wasn't thinking. Then I found a small canner. It will be the perfect size for small jars. It's smaller than a regular canner but bigger than a soup kettle. It does have a rack in it though. Also, some pickle crisp that I can't find up here.

What really struck me was the license plates on some of the cars in the parking lot. It's not unusual to see them from all over the place on Thurs.-Sat. but rare on a Monday even during vacation time. I saw, Iowa, Montana, Vermont, Florida and New Mexico. Also one from Ontario. Maybe people are starting to stock up or maybe I'm just looking for signs that really aren't there. :ph34r:

I stopped off at a Super Walmart (a huge one) on the way back home. I've never seen so many Ball canning jars on display in my life! This Walmart is different than the ones we have around me. It's so big. It's hard to describe the floor arrangement but in the houseware area they have a big empty square space where they have seasonal things. It was full of quart and pint canning jars stacked about 5 foot tall and probably 8 foot X 8 foot square, but I'm not good with measurments. One for pints and another one for quarts. They had a short aisle full of Mrs. Wages canning mixes and the other side of the aisle was full of canning jar lids. I was amazed at all of those jars! :wub:

I agree they're too expensive at Wal-Mart but a few years ago you really had to look to even find canning supplies that were on a 3 foot section of 3 or 4 shelves down an aisle unmarked for canning supplies at Wal-Mart. So yeah Jeepers, I agree with you on it being a gasp moment when you first notice what they have now. It's a huge display.

Things are a changin'.

I made a quick run to Lehmans today. It's the only place I can find Clear Jel around here. Picked up a few other things I can't find locally too. I found a cake rack thing that will fit in the bottom of my canner for small jars. I can also use it as a second layer rack. Darn, I should have picked up two. One for the bottom and one for the middle. I wasn't thinking. Then I found a small canner. It will be the perfect size for small jars. It's smaller than a regular canner but bigger than a soup kettle. It does have a rack in it though. Also, some pickle crisp that I can't find up here.

What really struck me was the license plates on some of the cars in the parking lot. It's not unusual to see them from all over the place on Thurs.-Sat. but rare on a Monday even during vacation time. I saw, Iowa, Montana, Vermont, Florida and New Mexico. Also one from Ontario. Maybe people are starting to stock up or maybe I'm just looking for signs that really aren't there. :ph34r:

I stopped off at a Super Walmart (a huge one) on the way back home. I've never seen so many Ball canning jars on display in my life! This Walmart is different than the ones we have around me. It's so big. It's hard to describe the floor arrangement but in the houseware area they have a big empty square space where they have seasonal things. It was full of quart and pint canning jars stacked about 5 foot tall and probably 8 foot X 8 foot square, but I'm not good with measurments. One for pints and another one for quarts. They had a short aisle full of Mrs. Wages canning mixes and the other side of the aisle was full of canning jar lids. I was amazed at all of those jars! :wub:

On the canning rack idea...find yourself a cake pan that fits inside your canner, drill some holes in the bottom to allow for liquid circulation, and voila! - a canning rack. Use upside down on the bottom of the canner, either way as a divider-rack. Finding a cake pan to fit my canner was much easier than finding more racks!