MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
The WE2's

Veggie Soap

Found a healthy supply of squash bugs in all my squash plants...lost 2 baby plants before I noticed what was causing them to wilt & die. Found a recipe for what I call "veggie soap" and gave whole garden a healthy dose. No more squash bugs by morning! Love the stuff. Recipe: in a medium sized sauce pan filled half with water, put lots of garlic powder, lots of onion powder, 2 handfuls of orange peels, several tbsp. of ginger powder, and a bar of pure glycerin soap (I buy it at hobby stores for my homemade insect repellent soaps). Bring to a boil, and reduce to simmer until soap is completely melted. Then let it steep for at least 20 minutes. Strain into a spray bottle and then fill bottle water. Use it diluted. When completely cool, just spray your veggies leaves and stems. Again, love the stuff but bugs hate it! Be sure to wash your veggies though (smile)!

This is great to know! Thanks for sharing it!

I've had those awful bugs clean out my whole squash bed. HATE THEM!!! I have copied and saved this recipe to use next summer. I'll take care of those little devils!!!

Found a healthy supply of squash bugs in all my squash plants...lost 2 baby plants before I noticed what was causing them to wilt & die. Found a recipe for what I call "veggie soap" and gave whole garden a healthy dose. No more squash bugs by morning! Love the stuff. Recipe: in a medium sized sauce pan filled half with water, put lots of garlic powder, lots of onion powder, 2 handfuls of orange peels, several tbsp. of ginger powder, and a bar of pure glycerin soap (I buy it at hobby stores for my homemade insect repellent soaps). Bring to a boil, and reduce to simmer until soap is completely melted. Then let it steep for at least 20 minutes. Strain into a spray bottle and then fill bottle water. Use it diluted. When completely cool, just spray your veggies leaves and stems. Again, love the stuff but bugs hate it! Be sure to wash your veggies though (smile)!

Added another ingredient to the boil mixture...red pepper flakes...for this coming garden veggies!