MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Need another reason to prep?

Need another reason to prep?

This one will make you say: “Eureka!”

Backstory-

We have been very busy doing this and that, going here and there, and helping out wherever needed. And the last few weeks seems to be from sun up to sun done, and then some. So things we had planned to do like shopping or food cooking in bulk sometimes got put on the back burner being replaced by something more important. Last week we had plans to go shopping on Monday but that got changed, then we thought we could squeeze it in on Thursday, but that too didn’t work out as we were needed longer at the Amish Farm Picking stuff for market. Maybe over the weekend? But Saturday’s Plans got changed and then on Sunday we took a day off and when to Ithaca, NY

So anyway here it is Monday and we have no food in the house to eat! (other than all the food we have in the house). So Lori said to make ‘sandwiches’ out of something and she would be right back from visiting the neighbor. But I didn’t want sandwiches so I got creative……

Went out to the garden to get some tomatoes, but there was a very nice eggplant all ready for me so I picked it, went to the cellar for a jar a pasta sauce and came in to the freezer for some shredded mozzarella cheese.

Back in the house I found the bread crumbs I had made from old bread and got out an egg from the refrigerator.

Guess what I made – Eggplant Parmesan! And that was a lot better than PB&J sandwiches! (this time)

So It got me thinking, how many times we were too busy to shop and had to raid the canning jars to cook Dinner or go out to the Garden and ‘pick supper’ as we call it. So remember it is another way of saving money and eating well when we can or have a garden………. Or BOTH!

Yes Lori came back inside and said it didn’t smell like sandwiches! But was glad for a hot meal instead, before going to work today.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

Good for you (and Lori)

Good for anybody on here that does that!

It means we will never have a cupboard that is bare.

This will also help IF and when we get snow and can't get out to the stoes,

As it has done in the past.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

That is what I am thinking. The new places is further north than I have lived and they get more snow than I have ever experienced. The roads to the place will not be plowed unless we do it ourselves so if we are snowbound we must have food. We are to the point I am only buying fresh milk and eggs and the must haves. I am going to have to do a major shopping trip once we move (I really really dread that) but hubby is wanting to move as little as possible. He is hoping the back of the pick-up and pull behind trailer. Me - I am thinking medium u-haul. We will see who wins.