MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Wish I started earlier ..

Yikes, the more I read and jot things down in my ever-so-quickly-being-filled notebook and internet bookmarks (my printer is getting a real workout!), the more I wish I had started sooner! I'll confess that I've been tempted to toss the notebook (and computer!)way more than once and put my head back in the sand ... but then I realize that would just lead to more issues in the long term, so being determined and plugging along is where I am at now.

I've lost count of how many times during my reading/planning that I've asked myself "Why didn't you do something, anything, sooner?" I don't really have an answer - just got caught up in the day to day never thinking about what could happen, and honestly, not even thinking about the responsibility I feel now. When I look back, I feel really ashamed, and confused - in general, I am a very independent person; but yet there I was for all those years making myself dependent. On a more selfish level, I also really don't want to end up being one of those people that when disaster strikes just stands there looking dazed and being picked off...and even more so, i don't want to see my own child have that happen.

For a minute, I even started to play the blame game ... "why doesn't society educate people to be self-sufficient," I pondered - I had to laugh at myself when I actually thought about that for a second, because it sort of defeats the point of being self-reliant to 'blame' someone else for not making it happen :blush:

When I think of the hours (dare I say months, years if it's all totaled up?! scary thought!!) wasted being idle, watching tv, not learning any real skills that would be of benefit - I want to smack myself silly. It's not as though I never had the opportunity - a memory that I keep having come in to my mind is of my great-aunt, Helen. When I was still in the single digits, Helen was staying with my grandmother (as was I), and she tried to teach me to crochet, tell me stories about things that looking back now would have made a world of difference, for both of us (she would have been shown the respect and love she deserved and had the joy of sharing things that were important to her, and I would have had some practical skill set now and fond memories of her rather than being ashamed of the brat that I was!). But sadly, I was a brat, and an unappreciative one at that - I'd run off to do nothing rather than listen to her stories, refused to learn to crochet, turned my rotten little nose up at the afghan she made me for my birthday (I cannot explain how badly I wish I had that today!) in lieu of the plastic whatever was the 'in' thing at the time. If I could turn back time, I would change that - I wish adult me could make up for the things that child me did. Funny how trying to 'prep' for the future keeps carrying me back to my past.

Hmmm...so now I've resorted to rambling :P I suppose I just needed to get it out. I tried to talk to my husband about it, but he just rolls his eyes, and thinks I am being 'dramatic', esp. when I mention that we need to do more in the line of prepping and self-protection. My son thinks I am totally 'un-cool' My mother seems to show an interest in prepping, but it's an extremely limited interest I am quickly seeing. I am not about to mention it to anyone else I know - in some respects that would be like wearing a big target on my forehead if something bad does happen, and in others, well, I just know they wouldn't understand, and I don't want to deal with that.

Onward to being a silent prepper I suppose, plugging along one manageable step at a time - I keep telling myself that any progress is better than where I used to be at, something is better than nothing, and the little things will all add up eventually. One thing I can be fairly certain of though - I am determined that I am not going back to the way things were, not now, not ever.

Well, time to stop rambling...

Each thing you do to prepare is just one thing better ! I am making my own soap now. We love the stuff. Shampoo bar, bath soap, shaving soap, all in one ! Then, some of my first batch I am going to grate and make laundry soap out of it. May try dish soap out of it, too. Was a different recipe the first time and not our favorite.

Just keep learning and doing as much as you can. It all helps and adds up !

Lumabean, I know what you mean! When I was in the 7th grade, the teacher taught a bunch of the girls in class how to knit. This happened during the recess after lunch. They started with headbands and eventually they all knit a sweater. Some even learned to knit socks. I learned to knit and made a headband but then got bored with it. I much preferred to play softball or basketball. Now I still enjoy knitting but I've never completed a sweater or a pair of socks. I started a pair of socks a couple of years ago but haven't finished them.

When I woke up this morning, I started thinking about how I wished I had gone back to Alaska and followed my dream after I graduated from RN school. Instead I let my mother talk me into letting my younger brother have my land in Talkeetna and staying stateside with her.

It is easy to get into the 'if only' mindset.

Before I got out of bed I determined in my heart that I was NOT going to spend the rest of my life (however long that is) in sorrow, regret and bitterness. Not over missed opportunities, not over the children that never came nor the grandchildren I will never have.

Instead, I began to thank the Lord for all that He has done and asked Him to help me to go on, working and doing whatever He puts in my hands to do.

Start now. Keep on. Don't look back. Don't regret the past. The past is done, you cannot undo it. Don't waste tomorrow because of heaviness of heart over the past.

lumabeam, bless you! so many of us were brats as children (I was a stubborn little cuss) but it is not too late, ever to start learning self sufficiency. Not all of us were so lucky to have been immersed in a self-reliant family who passed it down. Im sure your Great-Aunt Helen would be smiling at you now and cheering on your efforts to learn self reliance skills. Dont fret about your husband not understanding your sense of urgency, many of us have less enthusiastic spouses and families. Some even think we are crazy. My husband did not know I was prepping way back for Y2K until 2 weeks before it arrived, and he saw something on the news about what would happen if all the computers went down. He asked me if we could handle that kind of emergency, or if we needed to 'buy some things'. Then when I showed him 6 months of supplies, he said he thought that was 'just fine' and became a little more interested. After Y2K was a no-show he agreed to maintain and increase the storage because he liked the self reliance idea. But he never was 'into' it and did not like to talk about it because, frankly, it scared him to think about 'the end of the world' as he put it. Oh well, I'd rather be ready and have nothing happen, than the other way around!

After you have been prepping a while, you will find that you are saving money by doing things yourself, and that sometimes helps the family rationize it to themselves. Just roll the savings back into preps. Many, many of us were silent preppers, squeezing a few pennies out of grocery budgets to buy a few extra pounds of beans or rice to 'put aside' and checking out all manner of odd library books for 'our hobbies' that just happened to be prep skills. My husband asked why I learned to make soap, for example; I told him because it sounded like fun! (It was.) Dont fret that nobody seems to see things the same way you do. We can be your support group on-line, and you can learn a lot, for we love to help one another. If you are very fortunate, there might be a prep group near you, and you can attend meetings and network with others. That is nice, but always remember, there are a lot of us out here, you just can't see us because we don't talk about it to strangers either. You can sometimes find another prep-minded person and recognize them by their interest in old timey skills. Women who can, sew, and raise gardens tend to be prep-minded, even if they do not call themselves that. Many do not know they are preppers, thinking that preppers are gun-totin', shoot-first, snake-eatin' hermits that are a little crazy and might go psycho in a hearbeat. No matter what they choose to call themselves, they are still like-minded folks you can find and network with. I for one would like to find a hunter who would share game in exchange for something I know.

Meanwhile, you are doing the right thing, and everybody thinks they are way behind. Yep, all of us have things we wish we would/could/should do, and for one reason or another we can't/won't/don't. Go easy on yourself, and keep plugging along at a manageable pace and as you level of self reliance increases, so will your peace of mind. Nobody gets it ALL done, but that is OK, it gives us something to barter for in the future!

Keep up the good work!

Lumabean, :hug3:

I've been doing this for years and I will never feel ready. I keep eating the food I put away. :grinning-smiley-044:

The longer I read here the less I feel ready because someone always mentions something I never thought about. By just starting, you are so far ahead of most of the people out there.

I'll bet Great Aunt Helen is smiling down on you thinking, "I knew she'd catch on sooner or later!"

The others have offered some very wise advise that stems from experience that isn't so different than some of your experiences...

One thought that crossed my mind as I read your post and everyones responses was (and I hope I can explain this right lol)...

There have been those who have had a burden for prepping all their lives. There were times when they were mocked and made fun of and thought of as nuts because they could not deny this burden that lay heavy on their life. Little did they know that they would one day be in a position to pass forward those critical things they had learned along the way.

There have been those who experienced a crisis years ago that somehow implanted a burden in their heart to prepare so that they were never caught unawares again. As they began to blindly search for answers their paths were crossed with those that had walked that path before them.

There have been those that saw a potential threat that gripped their heart and for some reason caused them to realize that living in the moment was foolish. They too began to search for answers, not knowing how to start and somehow their path crossed with the above 2 types of people that had walked this path before them. Even when that potential threat subsided, that burden was implanted deeply in their heart and they somehow found the courage to stay faithful to the call that had been placed on their life...as silly as it may sound...and kept prepping in spite of what anyone would say to the contrary.

These days there are people like you who have been (for lack of a better word) blind to the wisdom of much that we do, who suddenly have had their eyes open and a burning flame has ignited in their hearts to move, and move quickly because time is of the essence. I'm sure these people are like the 3 groups described above, at least initially...not knowing how to do much but somehow finding their paths crossed with those above who have walked this path before them...who freely reach out and grasp the outstretched hands that people extend in desperation, and sharing with them the things they've learned along the way.

This is your time to settle into what some of us have been doing for a while. The more you read the things we've written over the years, the more steps you take forward and the more you get prepared, will lessen this pain that currently resides in your heart that is filled with regret and worry. You will begin to comprehend that no matter what anyone else says, you are committed to doing what you can while you can, just like the rest of us.

And someday soon, you will read a post from someone that is new to this site (or others). You will read their panic, their regrets, their hopelessness and something will stir deep in your heart because you've been there/done that. There's something very powerful when we comprehend in our hearts that trumps all other understanding. You are actually critically important for those in the near future because you are coming in at this particular time. You will have experience that an old timer may not necessarily have because they've been doing it for years and won't understand like you do, coming into prepping at a later time.

When my heart has been filled with similar things that you described above, the only way I've been able to resolve it has been to take it before our Heavenly Father and pour my heart out to Him. Only He is able to bridge the gap between my failures and regrets...and His will for my life, and only He can do all that I can not. Let Him open the doors you need open. Let Him show you that you can trust Him and let Him fill your heart with His hope and peace that He desires for each of us.

You know that it goes without saying that if there's anything any of us can do to help, all you have to do is ask.

Just keep learning and doing as much as you can. It all helps and adds up !

it is NEVER to late to start!

as long as you DO start.

:)

Lumabean, I know what you mean! When I was in the 7th grade, the teacher taught a bunch of the girls in class how to knit. This happened during the recess after lunch. They started with headbands and eventually they all knit a sweater. Some even learned to knit socks. I learned to knit and made a headband but then got bored with it. I much preferred to play softball or basketball. Now I still enjoy knitting but I've never completed a sweater or a pair of socks. I started a pair of socks a couple of years ago but haven't finished them.

I am determined to learn now, the booklet I have is sort of tricky to understand, so I am going to ask around to see if I can maybe find a class. Either way, I am set on at least getting beyond the chain i can do now :)

When I woke up this morning, I started thinking about how I wished I had gone back to Alaska and followed my dream after I graduated from RN school. Instead I let my mother talk me into letting my younger brother have my land in Talkeetna and staying stateside with her.

It is easy to get into the 'if only' mindset.

Before I got out of bed I determined in my heart that I was NOT going to spend the rest of my life (however long that is) in sorrow, regret and bitterness. Not over missed opportunities, not over the children that never came nor the grandchildren I will never have.

Instead, I began to thank the Lord for all that He has done and asked Him to help me to go on, working and doing whatever He puts in my hands to do.

Start now. Keep on. Don't look back. Don't regret the past. The past is done, you cannot undo it. Don't waste tomorrow because of heaviness of heart over the past.

I cannot tell you just how much your post stuck with me. Yesterday was esp. rough for assorted reasons, but I kept reminding myself of "don't waste tomorrow..."

lumabeam, bless you! so many of us were brats as children (I was a stubborn little cuss) but it is not too late, ever to start learning self sufficiency. Not all of us were so lucky to have been immersed in a self-reliant family who passed it down. Im sure your Great-Aunt Helen would be smiling at you now and cheering on your efforts to learn self reliance skills. Dont fret about your husband not understanding your sense of urgency, many of us have less enthusiastic spouses and families. Some even think we are crazy. My husband did not know I was prepping way back for Y2K until 2 weeks before it arrived, and he saw something on the news about what would happen if all the computers went down. He asked me if we could handle that kind of emergency, or if we needed to 'buy some things'. Then when I showed him 6 months of supplies, he said he thought that was 'just fine' and became a little more interested. After Y2K was a no-show he agreed to maintain and increase the storage because he liked the self reliance idea. But he never was 'into' it and did not like to talk about it because, frankly, it scared him to think about 'the end of the world' as he put it. Oh well, I'd rather be ready and have nothing happen, than the other way around!

After you have been prepping a while, you will find that you are saving money by doing things yourself, and that sometimes helps the family rationize it to themselves. Just roll the savings back into preps. Many, many of us were silent preppers, squeezing a few pennies out of grocery budgets to buy a few extra pounds of beans or rice to 'put aside' and checking out all manner of odd library books for 'our hobbies' that just happened to be prep skills. My husband asked why I learned to make soap, for example; I told him because it sounded like fun! (It was.) Dont fret that nobody seems to see things the same way you do. We can be your support group on-line, and you can learn a lot, for we love to help one another. If you are very fortunate, there might be a prep group near you, and you can attend meetings and network with others. That is nice, but always remember, there are a lot of us out here, you just can't see us because we don't talk about it to strangers either. You can sometimes find another prep-minded person and recognize them by their interest in old timey skills. Women who can, sew, and raise gardens tend to be prep-minded, even if they do not call themselves that. Many do not know they are preppers, thinking that preppers are gun-totin', shoot-first, snake-eatin' hermits that are a little crazy and might go psycho in a hearbeat. No matter what they choose to call themselves, they are still like-minded folks you can find and network with. I for one would like to find a hunter who would share game in exchange for something I know.

Meanwhile, you are doing the right thing, and everybody thinks they are way behind. Yep, all of us have things we wish we would/could/should do, and for one reason or another we can't/won't/don't. Go easy on yourself, and keep plugging along at a manageable pace and as you level of self reliance increases, so will your peace of mind. Nobody gets it ALL done, but that is OK, it gives us something to barter for in the future!

Keep up the good work!

gun-totin', shoot-first, snake-eatin' hermits that are a little crazy and might go psycho in a heartbeat :laughkick: I think that may be my husband's perspective, maybe I should assure him I won't make that transformation LOL

Lumabean, :hug3:

I've been doing this for years and I will never feel ready. I keep eating the food I put away. :grinning-smiley-044:

The longer I read here the less I feel ready because someone always mentions something I never thought about. By just starting, you are so far ahead of most of the people out there.

I'll bet Great Aunt Helen is smiling down on you thinking, "I knew she'd catch on sooner or later!"

I hope so :hug:

Oh, I have a feeling I will need to put certain items I store in inconveniently reached areas .. I tend to nibble a bit too much on certain things ... we had a small store of candy bars once ... emphasis on the 'had' :blush:

The others have offered some very wise advise that stems from experience that isn't so different than some of your experiences...

One thought that crossed my mind as I read your post and everyones responses was (and I hope I can explain this right lol)...

There have been those who have had a burden for prepping all their lives. There were times when they were mocked and made fun of and thought of as nuts because they could not deny this burden that lay heavy on their life. Little did they know that they would one day be in a position to pass forward those critical things they had learned along the way.

There have been those who experienced a crisis years ago that somehow implanted a burden in their heart to prepare so that they were never caught unawares again. As they began to blindly search for answers their paths were crossed with those that had walked that path before them.

There have been those that saw a potential threat that gripped their heart and for some reason caused them to realize that living in the moment was foolish. They too began to search for answers, not knowing how to start and somehow their path crossed with the above 2 types of people that had walked this path before them. Even when that potential threat subsided, that burden was implanted deeply in their heart and they somehow found the courage to stay faithful to the call that had been placed on their life...as silly as it may sound...and kept prepping in spite of what anyone would say to the contrary.

These days there are people like you who have been (for lack of a better word) blind to the wisdom of much that we do, who suddenly have had their eyes open and a burning flame has ignited in their hearts to move, and move quickly because time is of the essence. I'm sure these people are like the 3 groups described above, at least initially...not knowing how to do much but somehow finding their paths crossed with those above who have walked this path before them...who freely reach out and grasp the outstretched hands that people extend in desperation, and sharing with them the things they've learned along the way.

This is your time to settle into what some of us have been doing for a while. The more you read the things we've written over the years, the more steps you take forward and the more you get prepared, will lessen this pain that currently resides in your heart that is filled with regret and worry. You will begin to comprehend that no matter what anyone else says, you are committed to doing what you can while you can, just like the rest of us.

And someday soon, you will read a post from someone that is new to this site (or others). You will read their panic, their regrets, their hopelessness and something will stir deep in your heart because you've been there/done that. There's something very powerful when we comprehend in our hearts that trumps all other understanding. You are actually critically important for those in the near future because you are coming in at this particular time. You will have experience that an old timer may not necessarily have because they've been doing it for years and won't understand like you do, coming into prepping at a later time.

When my heart has been filled with similar things that you described above, the only way I've been able to resolve it has been to take it before our Heavenly Father and pour my heart out to Him. Only He is able to bridge the gap between my failures and regrets...and His will for my life, and only He can do all that I can not. Let Him open the doors you need open. Let Him show you that you can trust Him and let Him fill your heart with His hope and peace that He desires for each of us.

You know that it goes without saying that if there's anything any of us can do to help, all you have to do is ask.

Thank you :) esp.the reminder " He can do all that I can not. Let Him open the doors you need open. Let Him show you that you can trust Him and let Him fill your heart with His hope and peace that He desires for each of us." I've been having a bit of a struggle lately with trust, even with the Lord, often only going as far as saying I will trust to a degree or under certain circumstances, so this really touched home for me! (the other words did as well, this esp. so)

~~~

My sincere thanks to everyone for the care and insights :hug: