MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Car Canning

Yesterday my son and I went shopping. I needed a couple more cases of the small 4 oz. size canning jars. So, I put four cases in the cart, took them out of the cart to be rung up, the cashier did her thing with them and put them back in the cart and then my son took them out of the cart and put them in the Jeep for me. Whew...a lot of handling of those little boxes.

So, I'm driving home and all at once I hear a loud PING! Then another and another and another etc.

At first it sort of startled me but a second later I recognized that lovely sound...PING! They ping louder when they are empty! All the way home they were going off. :24:

Each time one of us picked up the box (they are very short) we probably mashed one of the lids down in the center and I guess the air conditioner in the Jeep made them all pop back up. Or maybe they would have popped back up on their own anyway. We laughed all the way home. Easily entertained. :blush:

By the way, our Super Walmart was sold out of all canning jar lids. No regular, wide mouth and no band/lid sets. I always stock up on them so I have plenty but wanted to replinish what I've already used.

:blink: I wondered why in the world you would want to can a car! :shrug:

(I guess if Necie can can bats, you could try it....) NAAAAHHH..... :grinning-smiley-044:

:24:

Oh, boy! I thought you were going to can something in a hot car....like oven canning! frying%20pan.gif

BATS???? Well, it's a lazy Sunday with Hubby working and a sick little boy....so I guess I'll have to go searching. :pc_coffee:

I found this to show the ones who hadn't seen it before...

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18714&st=0&p=125010

Just as I was ready to push the "Add Reply" button, our power went out. :o:gaah:

One of the fuses popped out at the pole. They just fixed it. :cele:

But it's a nice, sunny day. I have to admit, my first thought was "Is this how an EMP might be? A nice day when it just ends?" We here on the ground wouldn't necessarily *see* anything. :(

But I knew it was OK when I called the next-door neighbor and she still had power. ;) We're the last one on this circuit. Could'a been a power surge or just *age*.

I have had that happen, too ! Boy, was I hoping this was not another hairbrained idea, like oven or dishwasher canning !

Here there are not many lids, rings, or pectin to be found. Glad I have my stash. Some stores have no pectin at all.

LOL. I figured I'd get your attention, Violet. :cheeky-smiley-067:

I have been to 2 Walmarts, 2 Targets and 1 Kmart in the last two days and there is not a lid or ring to be found. I didn't notice the pectin but the shelves looked like the day before Halloween. A real mess. I didn't see any canning stuff at Kmart and asked at the service dask and she said they didn't get any lids at all this year. Hummm. I'm glad I have my stash too. I just like to keep it topped off. I can always get some at Lehmans but it's about 1 1/2 hours away. Now I'm going to check everywhere I go. Probably hardware stores have them.

It reminded me of the 1970's when nobody could find lids anywhere and yes people bartered with them or sold them to each other. I remember my MIL had some and she wouldn't sell them for anything. She was afraid she would need them herself. I don't remember the exact year but I think Jimmy Carter was in office. The same year he told us if we were cold to wear a sweater. Oil lamps and kerosene were at a premium too. Gawd, I'm old.

Another thing, look at the box carefully before you buy the regular size lids. I picked up a box the same (or real close) to the size of the lid box and they were canning lables. The only difference that I noticed was the lable boxes had a hanging hole on the top for the stores to use for displaying them. Except these were stacked on the shelf. Wonder how many people bought them thinking they were lids. :tapfoot:

I buy pectin in bulk here (and they are having a sale). http://www.kauffmansfruitfarm.com/Pectin%20Dutch%20Jell%20All%20Natural/item/400110

Anybody in the south and from Texas east check out http://www.fredsinc.com/ to see if you have a Fred's Discount Store in your area. I use them for jars and lids. Jars today are $7.00 for pints and quarts. Regular lids are $1.00/box of 12 and wide mouth $1.25/box of 12. They have other things also depending on what you need.