MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Happy Monday...

ARRRGH... Life seems to just be getting more and more stressful. :gaah:

I feel like there's no time to get anything done.

**HUGS ALL AROUND**

If I haven't answered a PM or have inadvertently forgotten something, please forgive me and remind me if you want.

Questions about the winter following the 1988 drought... I looked it up. this one's from Chicago, so it's similar to my area, kinda.

ASK TOM WHY: What kind of winter followed the drought summer in 1988?

June 17, 2012 8:07 PM

Dear Tom,

It seems like we might be headed for a hot, drought summer like in 1988. What kind of winter followed?

Thanks, Connie

Dear Connie,

We have a long way to go to match 1988's 47 days of 90 degrees or higher including 7 days with triple-digit heat and scant precipitation, the season so far certainly has been hot and dry. The following winter of 1988-89 had little snow logging just 24.5 inches. January was very mild and nearly snow free with just 0.4 inches of snow. The roughest part of the winter was in February, a month that featured 15.1 inches of snow and temperatures that averaged well below normal. Winter's biggest snowstorm, a moderate 6.5 inch affair occurred on February 4-5 and the season's only subzero weather was recorded on February 6 and 9 when the mercury dropped to 4 below zero.

http://blog.chicagoweathercenter.com/2012/06/ask-tom-why-what-kind-of-winter-followed-the-drought-summer-in-1988.html

:hug3:

Last few years here have not been good for anyone having anything to do with snow? Low sales of snow blowers, ice skates, snow shovels, etc. Have all been put on deep sales all winter long.

Snowplow people have had it ruff trying to make payments on their trucks and snow plows without a lot of snow to plow.

The Ski place near us has closed early the last few years as they had to make snow and that ain't cheap when it keeps melting.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

In my area we are over 16" short of rainfall for the year, making it the worse drought in over 75 years. We are praying that Hurricane Isaac does dump the 4" of rain they are projecting for us in the next few days. I would like to see green grass again instead of brown and the cracks big enough to lose a chihuahua in.

At this point a lot of snow for the winter might be very much welcome here.

Edited by Simplegirl