MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
The WE2's

Dehydrating

Just finished my last bag of apples and they are sitting proudly in their place in my pantry plus 2 bags for us to start snacking on! That makes lots of apples, oranges, onions, bell peppers, carrots, asparagus, celery, pinapples, and watermelon. Even ground up some coriander (needed some for our lunch, creamed lentil soup) and put a bag in my freezer. Now...to clean up after myself.

Now that looks good enough to eat. Great job!

:wormie2:

John

Lovely!

Did you use Fruit Fresh or something like that to keep them from turning dark? They look really nice.

Lovely!

Did you use Fruit Fresh or something like that to keep them from turning dark? They look really nice.

I mix lemon juice (1 to 4) in a small spray bottle (cheaper!) and spray them on both sides before placing them on the trays.

Edited by Philbe

These won't make it to the dehydrator...LOL Their destination is a green tomato, eggplant, corn, pepper salsa that I love to put over pasta! The squash will get shredded, mixed with parmesan cheese, egg & flour and end up as a patty with our sausage & eggs! Love my square foot garden, and it August 30th! Got tons of green tomatoes, squash & egg plant coming on.

Lovely!

I mix lemon juice (1 to 4) in a small spray bottle (cheaper!) and spray them on both sides before placing them on the trays.

Thanks. :thumbs:

Got six bags of celery I'll be putting in dehydrators tomorrow...then going to try a head of cabbage...just for grins!

Philbe... quick question on your lemon juice ratio ... is that one part lemon juice to 4 parts water?

I've been using straight lemon juice ... ugh. Well, life's about learning, I'll know better next time :)

Do you use one of those apple peeling/corer contraptions? I saw one at Target for $20 was was too cheap to get it ... I have been cutting them with a paring knife. Wondering if the $20 would be worth it.

Lumabean, the peeler/slicers are worth it ! I suggest the one with the suction cup on the counter, not the clamp type. The one that clamps was letting all the juice run on the floor, making a huge mess.

Here I can find them sometimes at the thrift stores for a few dollars. If you have any around, you may want to check there.

I don't pretreat my apples, but we don't care if they turn a bit brown. Later as they sit, often you cannot tell the ones that were pretreated. I have a bag of things in my office with a variety of methods done to the dried foods. The apples all pretty much look the same after a few months.

Thanks, Violet :)

We do have a few thrift shops around, I am going to check them out. Definitely opting for suction cup.

That's interesting about the apples all turning out the same in time, now I won't worry about the lemon juice, one less step (and a sticky one at that) :)

Edited by lumabean

Philbe... quick question on your lemon juice ratio ... is that one part lemon juice to 4 parts water?

I've been using straight lemon juice ... ugh. Well, life's about learning, I'll know better next time :)

Do you use one of those apple peeling/corer contraptions? I saw one at Target for $20 was was too cheap to get it ... I have been cutting them with a paring knife. Wondering if the $20 would be worth it.

Yes, or you can do 1 to 3 if you want a stronger mixture. I didn't use a peeler but I did use a corer. MM has since bought me a small peeler that we found in a 2nd hand store for $5.00. I haven't used it yet so can't say whether it's worth the money or nay.

Edited by Philbe

Got the cabbage all cut up, shredded and have 4 trays of boiled cabbage (boiled it in veggie broth w/salt...yum, yum), 3 bags of finely chopped cabbage in deep freeze in baggies sealed in vacume sealed bags, and 2 bags in frig for slaw...tonight and ?? Anyway...the dehydrators are humming.

10 heads of celery = 6 trays = 1/2 qt (so put in with another partial jar). 1 stock pot full of boiled cabbage = 4 trays = 1 qt and 1 pt. LOL Put in jars. Insert oxygen absorber, vacume seal lid, label top of lid, twist on ring, put on shelf. Me done! Cutting stuff up and cleaning up after myself is always the hardest part!

I'm curious of the reason/purpose of inserting an Oxygen Absorber packet into a jar that is then vacuum-sealed? Both do the same thing, remove air.

I only use them in the jars with this type of vegetable because they are so full of moisture to start with...celery and cabbage are so full of moisture that when they dehydrate they go from a piece about 2 inches to just a nibble. Just a precaution for me. Don't know if it's required, but just a way to try and make absolutely sure that any moisture that could still be in these nibbles are "taken care of"...LOL

You might improve your situation by using 'Silica Gel' packets into your bags/jars instead of OA packets. Silica Gel removes moisture and the nice thing about them is they can be reused over and over just by regenerating them in the oven.