MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Health Insurance

Friend of mine works fulltime for about $25 a week over the cost of her family healthcare.

We've had dental insurance off and on, but for every $90 cleaning, the insurance would take $14.90 off the deductible. My dentist's bookkeeper said it wasn't worth it. Got it reinstated right before my two jaw teeth cracked, and let me just say I didn't get back the cost of my premiums. Dental insurance is a for-profit scheme.

Dh and I were debating on whether to get dental insurance this year, and we opted for it -- it got tricky with the math. In the past it never worked out in our favor - a cleaning is $128-ish, that's with the bitewing (?) xrays. The panaoramic xray is an additional $70, but I think that's an every 3 (or 5?) year thing. Anyhoo, we opted for it this year because I have some more work that needs to be done, dh need some work done after a root canal, and ds needs to have wisdom teeth removed (or so the dentist is saying is in the foreseeable future). With that background ... dh went to the dentist and we received the explanation of benefits -- they're not covering nearly as much as I thought they would. After deductibles, the 60/40 and 80/20 being factored in, plus what is taken out of dh's pay each week -- oh and the cap on coverage per person, I think we may break even at most.

After this year, I think we're going to be better off just paying as we go in cash, by setting aside the weekly premiums in to an envelope and then having it on hand in case we need it. Unless of course they make dental coverage mandatory too :dontknow: