MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

LOCAL PANTRY's

The WE2's

One of our local pantry's was giving away...bags of apples, potatoes, onions and oranges. Guess what! I'm slicing and fireing up the dehydrators. Seems like they hardly ever stop! But these were freebies! They even had canteloupe but they were so near rotty that I just couldn't take even one (frown). The jalepenos went fast, which is okay, since we don't eat them. I don't preserve what we won't eat. People swarming...me too! LOL

Great find, I was just telling my husband this morning that I was going to find a book or computer info on dehydrating im not scared of it like I am canning lol I have tons of veggies in the frezzer that have been on great clearance at Aldis hate to loose them if we are without power.

I think you're exercising some magnificent wisdom! I'm fearful of cannng myself, that's why I don't! We had our Vita-Mixer going and hubby forgot to put top on...had hot soup all over him, me, the ceiling, the stove, the frig...you name it...major clean up! It cured me of canning. If it had been a presser canning we both would probably have gotten burnt severly...it was hot enough anyway! And losing power is one of my biggies of freezing. Again, I LOVE MY DEHYDRATORS!!! oops...forgot something! Go online and find youtube's dehydrate2store lady. She is magnifico! She's the one that convinced me of dehydrating...then, katzcradul is another lady I enjoy! Have fun!!!

:curtsey:

Edited by Philbe

Great find, I was just telling my husband this morning that I was going to find a book or computer info on dehydrating im not scared of it like I am canning lol I have tons of veggies in the frezzer that have been on great clearance at Aldis hate to loose them if we are without power.

I think you're exercising some magnificent wisdom! I'm fearful of cannng myself, that's why I don't! We had our Vita-Mixer going and hubby forgot to put top on...had hot soup all over him, me, the ceiling, the stove, the frig...you name it...major clean up! It cured me of canning. If it had been a presser canning we both would probably have gotten burnt severly...it was hot enough anyway! And losing power is one of my biggies of freezing. Again, I LOVE MY DEHYDRATORS!!! oops...forgot something! Go online and find youtube's dehydrate2store lady. She is magnifico! She's the one that convinced me of dehydrating...then, katzcradul is another lady I enjoy! Have fun!!!

If you had been pressure canning and not put the top on, the soup would not have gone anywhere although, you would probably boil it dry and warp the canner.

Thanks for the sites going to look at them now, I didnt really wanna do wash anyways lol. thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Got some more "freebies" from local pantry. Several cases of small cans of sliced and water packed water chestnuts and sprouts. Yum, yum, used a can in my soup chowder yesterday! Also a case or two of water chestnuts with pineapple chunks. Tasted pretty good on salad! Then another local source "just happened" to have tons of bread, bagels, etc...from a Panera store. Guess when their breads don't turn out just right they donate them. Who cares if a nice fat loaf of bread is a little too brown or a little lop sided or bagels have too many sesame seeds etc. on them! Me stocked up! You can bet your sweet tooty I'm a happy camper!