MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Words of Wisdom

...because I am cleaning clutter, (went through boxes of paperwork today, from 1980-2004 before it goes to the shredding company). I came across a plethora of stuff I 'horded' over the years, thinking "someday, I will use this stuff". Well, it is time to throw it away! But, I want to still use it.... Soooooooo.... here is the first piece... and it will hit the garbage after it is posted.

No man is good enough to govern another man without that other man's consent. - Abraham Lincoln

Don't we all have gems like this that we like? I'm going to move this post to "Where the Heart Is" and all of us can add to it. That way it's less likely to get buried... maybe? :)

Who knows how we can help each other by encouragement and wisdom from those who came before us...? :shrug:

I was always mad at DH because after he retired I wanted to travel....he didn't. I finally read a quote by Eleanor Roosevelt that made me grow up and accept that he isn't going to travel and I was on my own. Which I do now w/o him like DD and I taking a cruise to Alaska last spring AND having a great time.

"Misery is a choice" I was choosing to be miserable and now I'm not

I also heard an ex-super model on Oprah one day saying she will NOT have plastic surgery because she was taught by her mother that she has earned every line, winkle and grey hair she has and that "old age is a privledge, not a right". She was just so cool!

I like those, I know a few people who need to hear "Misery is a choice"

In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing. - Theodore Roosevelt

....and another piece of paper hits the trash.... :happy0203:

I don't remember who said it. I don't remember if I'm quoting it exactly, but...

"Every time an old man dies, we lose a library of information."

I grew up close to my grandparents and close to my great-grandparents' generation (brothers and sisters of my great-grandparents) :wub:. They've all passed now, so when I first heard that quote, it really hit home! :yar:

out_of_the_ordinary, apparently that is an African Proverb. I found it here

http://timelines.ws/subjects/PROVERBS.HTML

Here it is, with a couple more...

African proverb: "When an old man dies, a library burns down."

African saying: "Somewhere the Sky touches the Earth, and the name of that place is the End."

African saying: "When the elephants fight, the grass gets trampled. Don't be the grass."

:bighug2: