MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

wow, the census people are thorough!

Yikes, I never knew the census bureau wanted so much information. A man came to the door today with his Census Bureau id and computer saying I never returned the paper copy they sent to me weeks ago. (this is true). So he goes on to a string of questions that really had me puzzled. Why on earth would the time my husband goes to work in the morning fit in with the allocation of resources/monies to our area?? I didn't give a direct answer because it creeped me out (perhaps I am paranoid, regardless...) I simply said it varies, to which he pressed for a time and he tossed out 6:45 am and I said close.

I thought a census would be a count ... apparently not. He wanted to know full names, date of birth, state each was born in, annual income, hours worked per week, how many cars we have, what time my husband leaves for work, how long it takes him to get there, the address of the place he works, medical issues we may have, health insurer, educational background, how many rooms we have, our heat source, rental fee, what utilities are included, etc.

Another thing that got me was he wasn't satisfied with Caucasian being given for race -- he wanted more detailed, he was asking, are you of German descent? and a few others. I politely said I don't know (which is true, I simply do not know). He was miffed. When he got to my husband's race, I again said Caucasian, and he said "Isn't that last name Italian?" and I said Yes, it is, and he said that was what he wanted to know. What in the world?

Maybe my lack of sleep and nervousness over world happenings has me testy, but this struck me as bizarre.

We got one of those forms a few years ago. I didn't send it in. The census worker was relentless and CREEPY! She would show up at odd hours and even would pound on our windows instead of knocking on the door. I finally did tell her the number of people that lived here and she wasn't getting any other info. She insisted that she HAD to ask me every question and I could refuse to answer any question. So, I did answer the number of people that lived here and answered "Refuse" for every single question other than that. I think she expected me to answer some of them, but I held my ground. She was very insistent at trying to get my phone number and I refused that one as well. By the way they kept showing up at my house, I wasn't going to have them constantly calling as well. You're right Lumabean, the questions were very intrusive!

Ummmm... you DO know that the Census is taken only every ten years, and the last one was in 2010??? :o

You should NOT have Census people at your door, and those questions are VERY intrusive! NO census taker will ask you about your comings and goings. It sounds like they were casing your home - finding out how many cars to expect, how long it might take you to get home, medical issues = prescription meds you might have, etc. Even church info can tell them when you might be gone and how long.

I would call your local police immediately. Give them as much identifying information as you can, and if you can find that so-called "paper copy", make a copy of it and give it to the authorities. The return address might help them catch them.

And be VERY, VERY careful. I am very concerned that you have just let some thieves know way too much info!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Census

The paper copy that came in the mail I threw out when it came. What I did still have (that I dug out of the trash) are the papers he left here with me today. I didn't notice, the pamphlet does read 2010 on the bottom. The "thank you" paper it has no date, nor does the 'required by law' letter. He did leave a business card with a name and branch office info on it.

My mom was here too, and neither of us even thought of the dates!

It sounds like you got picked for the American Community Survey. Yes, it is intrusive. It is also done more frequently than the decennial census.

From the US Census Bureau website:

What is the American Community Survey (ACS)?

The ACS is a legitimate survey that is part of the Decennial Census Program. It is a survey sent to a small percentage of our population on a rotating basis. The ACS collects detailed information on the characteristics of our population and housing. These data were previously collected only in census years in conjunction with the decennial census. Since the ACS is conducted every year, rather than once every ten years, it provides more current estimates throughout the decade.

Estimates from the ACS contribute to providing an important picture of America, and an accurate response to the ACS questionnaire is important. When used in conjunction with the most recently available decennial census counts, information from the ACS documents how we live as a nation, including our education, housing, jobs, and many other issues.

Questions in the ACS are required to manage or evaluate federal and state government programs. For example, information on income is required for use by the Social Security Act, the National School Lunch Program, the Low Income Energy Assistance Program, and the U.S. Department of Education for grant allocation. Journey-to-work information is used by federal, state, and local transportation planning agencies in designing regional transportation systems. Information on language spoken at home is used under the Voting Rights Act to assess the fairness of voting practices in governmental subdivisions.

https://ask.census.gov/faq.php?id=5000&faqId=7453

They don't mention that they also sell the composite information (supposedly non-personally identifiable). My opinion is no matter what the more your infomation is out there, the more likely something will happen that you will not like. And discrimination(both directions) happens more often when they focus on your language or ethnic background or skin color. For whatever reason.

From us, they get address and number of people.

It sounds like you got picked for the American Community Survey. Yes, it is intrusive. It is also done more frequently than the decennial census.

From the US Census Bureau website:

What is the American Community Survey (ACS)?

The ACS is a legitimate survey that is part of the Decennial Census Program. It is a survey sent to a small percentage of our population on a rotating basis. The ACS collects detailed information on the characteristics of our population and housing. These data were previously collected only in census years in conjunction with the decennial census. Since the ACS is conducted every year, rather than once every ten years, it provides more current estimates throughout the decade.

Estimates from the ACS contribute to providing an important picture of America, and an accurate response to the ACS questionnaire is important. When used in conjunction with the most recently available decennial census counts, information from the ACS documents how we live as a nation, including our education, housing, jobs, and many other issues.

Questions in the ACS are required to manage or evaluate federal and state government programs. For example, information on income is required for use by the Social Security Act, the National School Lunch Program, the Low Income Energy Assistance Program, and the U.S. Department of Education for grant allocation. Journey-to-work information is used by federal, state, and local transportation planning agencies in designing regional transportation systems. Information on language spoken at home is used under the Voting Rights Act to assess the fairness of voting practices in governmental subdivisions.

https://ask.census.gov/faq.php?id=5000&faqId=7453

REALLY? I've NEVER heard of this one!

I'd not be very friendly or forthcoming with them.

DH was telling me that he's read that in some areas, StarBucks employees are/were instructed to take down a person's car license plate number if they pay in cash only. People who pay strictly in cash are now considered potential domestic terrorists.

I am going to call the Philadelphia regional office tomorrow morning just to verify. I just want to be assured that it was the gov't being intrusive as opposed to a random criminal.

Looking back I wish I'd have had the thought to refuse or just give the basics and say good day, but there I went on answering, I could kick myself for being a dutiful little sheep. Lesson learned for the future, regardless of the gov't or random person.

And they sell the info on top of that? I suppose nothing should surprise me at this point.

Yeah, the one I received was the American Community Survey one. Other than the number of people in my home, I answered "refuse" to every question. She did write down my gender and race, though. (Why, yes, I did answer "refuse" to my gender and my race!) The survey person for it was so darn creepy! And she was proud that she had been working in my county for something like 15 years doing this. She told me I could be eligible every 10 years to be "chosen" to get this. Well, for my address. I could be "chosen" again if I moved. I wonder since I wasn't cooperative, that she'll be back on my porch 10 years to the day from the time she was here last time.

Looking back I wish I'd have had the thought to refuse or just give the basics and say good day, but there I went on answering, I could kick myself for being a dutiful little sheep. Lesson learned for the future, regardless of the gov't or random person.

^SNIP^

Don't kick too hard. I've done similar things too. It's usually when I'm caught off guard or in a hurry. :banghead:

1347822073[/url]' post='388185']

Yeah, the one I received was the American Community Survey one. Other than the number of people in my home, I answered "refuse" to every question. She did write down my gender and race, though. (Why, yes, I did answer "refuse" to my gender and my race!) The survey person for it was so darn creepy! And she was proud that she had been working in my county for something like 15 years doing this. She told me I could be eligible every 10 years to be "chosen" to get this. Well, for my address. I could be "chosen" again if I moved. I wonder since I wasn't cooperative, that she'll be back on my porch 10 years to the day from the time she was here last time.

I'd be tempted to lean over her shoulder, look at what she put down, and just say, "That's an interesting assumption."