MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Tooth Ache !!!

YYY

Mods, I know this is the wrong place to put this, but there seems to be more traffic here. In addition this may be something we will have to face in the future.

I have a TOOTH ACHE. I have just moved and simply have no money to go to the dentist until at least the middle of November.

If you have any suggestions on what I can take to relieve the pain, please tell me.

I've learned 2 lessons from this.

1. I am astounded by the amount of Ibuprofen I've taken - so I need way more pain relievers than I thought I did.

I've also seen on the internet to cycle Ibuprofen and then Tylenol 2 hours later and Ibuprofen again 2 hours later- very little relief. The Ora-Jel type stuff helps very temporarily. HELP !!!

2. Now is the time for dental work - before anything happens.

Please, if you have suggestions for what I can do now, please let me know

Thanks in advance

YYY

Righto on pain killers of all kinds! Until we've had something serious, we all tend to underestimate. [same goes for bandaging materials -- anything serious will astound you as to how MUCH you'll use!!! IN A SINGLE INCIDENT!!! ]

Clove oil, as Arby mentions. Also just a whole clove...but sounds like dentist is needed!

Do you have any dental schools within driving distance - :o in ANY direction! Cuz their costs are WAY lower due to the students learning.

Otherwise, keep calling til you get someone who will take payments. Let them know any proof that you are honest and pay your bills.

If it gets too bad, it might get to the point of being a medical problem, if you have insurance for that.

This IS the time to get dental things handled, MtR agrees proudly after a filling-cave-in forced her to a dentist two days ago. :whistling:

MtRider [ :pray: for a solution cuz dental stuff HURTS ...and can get life-threatening. ]

Edited by Mt_Rider
fixin'

Clove oil can be made by putting cloves (whole or ground) into olive oil and gently heating it. The pot should feel very warm but not hot. After heating it a couple of hours, put a drop on your tongue and if it goes numb, it is strong enough. If the spot doesn't go numb, add more cloves to the oil.

Also you can put a warm compress on your gum, NOT on your face, to draw the infection and it may start draining. If you put it on your face, you can draw the infection right thru the skin and you do not want to do that. Warm salt water held in the mouth helps if you can take the salt taste.

If you have an abcess, this is only temporary. Bite down on a whole clove of peeled garlic, and hold it in your mouth until it quits hurting. The last time I had an abcessed tooth I tried everything, to no avail. It really wasn't as strong as I thought it would be, and it worked quickly! Be sure the garlic clove is moist and not dried up. Hope something helps soon. :(

A nurse told me this when I worked at the hospital here. Get peroxide and put some in your mouth, move it around until its on the tooth that hurts and hold it there as long as you can stand it, 5 minutes if possible. It will foam up and you want to to spit it out, but hold it there. It your tooth is infected its helping get rid of all that infections. Do this 2-4 times a day. I did it, still do it, and it works!

It really depends on how strong the cloves are. Start with 1/2 cup cloves to 1 pt oil and see if that is strong enough to numb the spot on your tongue. Don't strain it, the cloves will settle to the bottom. Put it in a sterile canning jar and keep in a cool dark place and it will last for many yrs. I made plenty so I could share with others who needed it.

Edited by CrabGrassAcres

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for all the replies.

Katz25, earlier today, someone suggested to me to try holding Hydrogen Peroxide on the side of my mouth with the toothache. Believe it or not, it helped. It didn't stop the pain but any relief was very welcome.

I know that no question is a stupid question, but are y'all telling me to use a garlic clove or some other kind? Trudy as soon as I find out what kind of clove, I will go to any store to get one and chomp down on it, and CrabGrassAcres, I intend to make a jar of this stuff for future use. Can it be used on other parts of the body for aches, pains, or wounds?

I just moved 2000 miles and very few know anything about me or my credit. I used everything to get here. Maybe not the smartest thing to do, but I felt I had to get here. There will be no money until at least November.

Mt_Rider when I feel better, I'll be going somewhere to get more Ibuprophen. I've gone through almost all of what I thought was probably 6 months worth of it

Does anyone have a suggestion of other pain relievers? Not Tylenol, Aspirin nor Aleve seem to do anything for me.

Thanks again

YYY

Warm Salted water. As salty as you can take it. Take a big swig and hold it on the area. The pain will increase about 10 fold (feels like :sad-smiley-012:) Then 'pops' and no more pain. For a while.....

Thats how I tend to do it anyway. Interested in the Peroxide tip though what ratio/strength.

My teeth used to be fantastic. I woke up one day and it was horrible! The gum was swollen and I could not even touch the tooth with my tongue.

Did some research. Flossed after I ate anything, swooshed with peroxide-full strength, listerine, warm salt water, brushed with baking soda - still hurt. Did not have clove oil, but I did have oil of oregano - a natural antibiotic. (I've also heard cinimmon oil helps.) Burns like a bugger for a few, but numbed the area enough to be able to eat more than broth. After a couple of days, I was gingerly brushing and the abscess broke (yucky).

The next time it happened, couldn't afford the dentist, went to my primary care physician. He gave me a script. It happened again, I did the same, except skipped the Dr. bill.

When I got the money, I went to the dentist. He scared the yaya out of me by saying I was going to loose all my teeth and need dentures. :banghead:

Second opinion Dr., said "no" they just needed to be cleaned and that the plaque buildup was catching anything I ate and holding it under the gums causing the issue.

Activated charcoal. Most pharmacies have it in capsules. Mix carefully with just enough water to make a paste. It takes much less than you think. Make a little poultice on a small doubled piece of paper towel and put it on the gum around the tooth. change it every couple of hours. Don't use while sleeping!

Poor YYY.....she's got her sore mouth filled with garlic, and peroxide and .....

:twister3:

OK, CLARIFICATION: Most of us [except Trudy who IS talking about a clove of garlic] are talking about the SPICE "clove". Those knob-end bits you stick into a ham. Or the ground up stuff in pumkin pie. :yum3:

--You can use one of the whole ones or

--buy "Clove Oil" (natural foods section of grocery) or

--make your own [per CGA's recipe] if you have ground or whole cloves.

Believe me, you have my sympathy and I hope you've gotten some relief! Cuz today I am a mess from my own dental issues. My MS nervous system is just CHITTERING with the pain/stress from mouth pain. It's not even the teeth! It's the tiny place the dentist nicked my wayward tongue with the drill. [He appologized and felt bad!] But dang, it feels like I've got a skewer stuck thru my tongue. I think the gum hurts too, with all they did but I can't get past the other pain to tell. Scrambling me up terrible.

As a result, I've only been taking Nuprin [have LOTS!] and honey. Will ANY/ALL of the suggestions here work for an abraded tongue too? I can't even think straight. :wacko: Until now, I've been huddled up in bed. Yucko!

MtRider [....hope you're OK, YYY!]

Edited by Mt_Rider

Just go to the produce isle and get a whole head of garlic. Break off one section and pell it. I forgot to tell you that I mashed a little salt into the clove, and put it on the bad tooth, and bit down on it. I held it there until the pain eased. I wasn't sure how well I was explaining this, so I googled 'how to use garlic for a toothache' , and this is the link I pulled up. http://www.natural-homeremedies-for-life.com/toothache-remedies.html I'm not recomending any of the remedys because I havent tried any but the garlic. But you may want to try another one of them.

Mods, I know this is the wrong place to put this, but there seems to be more traffic here. In addition this may be something we will have to face in the future.

I have a TOOTH ACHE. I have just moved and simply have no money to go to the dentist until at least the middle of November.

If you have any suggestions on what I can take to relieve the pain, please tell me.

I've learned 2 lessons from this.

1. I am astounded by the amount of Ibuprofen I've taken - so I need way more pain relievers than I thought I did.

I've also seen on the internet to cycle Ibuprofen and then Tylenol 2 hours later and Ibuprofen again 2 hours later- very little relief. The Ora-Jel type stuff helps very temporarily. HELP !!!

2. Now is the time for dental work - before anything happens.

Please, if you have suggestions for what I can do now, please let me know

Thanks in advance

YYY

Please becareful how much ibuprofen you use..My mother overdid it...She ended up with a hole in her stomach and nearly hemmoraged to death..had to have emergency surgery..My doctor once told me you can take up to 800 mg. of ibu. at a time . thats 4 regular tablets..but you have to leave about 8 hours between I think.. I used to use a lot of listerine on tooth abscess..just held it on tooth long as i could stand and spit it out..only regular listerine..My heart goes out to you..teeth can be so painful..Katmom

Have we been down the road and back with this! So sorry you're there now.

Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) rinses, a few times a day, will really help. Rinse once with stuff straight out of the brown bottle, swishing through until it's so foamy you have to spit. Then hold a couple of spoonfuls right in that area until it foams so much you have to spit. Then swishy-rinse again. Repeat in a few hours. Accidentally swallowing H2O2 is not going to poison you.

Hot salt water rinses are done the same way as the H2O2. Sometimes they seem to do a better job, sometimes it's not as good. This might be dependent on how deep or how "ripe" the abscess is. You might want to rinse with one and then the other, an hour or couple of hours apart. DON'T swallow a mouthful of this. I mixed three rounded (slightly heaped) teaspoons of salt into a quarter-cup of coffee-hot water. Not all the salt dissolves; this lets you know you've got all the salt that water can take up. I know people who just hold the salt water in their mouths, but this seems like a good way to damage the healthy tissue around your problem.

Biting down on a raw garlic clove sometimes helps. The stronger the garlic, the more good it will do.

Clove oil comes in a tiny rectangular bottle, usually a brown one. It is terribly strong-tasting. It seems to help a cavity or an open wound, but I didn't get the impression it had drawing power to heal an abscess.

Turmeric capsules will help from inside. They are expensive (I paid $27 for one bottle and over $15 for the next) but my husband never had an abscess develop while he was taking it regularly (4-7 times a week). Otherwise, he frequently had abscesses. When I couldn't afford the bottle, I home-packed capsules with turmeric powder from the spice cabinet. If desperate, you could try putting half turmeric out of the spice cabinet and half salt, about a grape-sized clot of the two, into a scrap of barely damp cloth and twisting or knotting the cloth to hold the lump together. Hold it against the area until you can't stand the saltiness. Try not to drool. Your fingertips and the teeth will turn yellow, but this mix is a pretty strong drawing poultice. If you can draw the abscess, you will have relief.

Here's a test that will give you some information: Bite down medium hard on something like a piece of cardboard or several folds of newspaper, and steadily hold the pressure a minute. The pain should fade a bit as the nerve tires. Let up the pressure suddenly. If new pain kicks you in the jaw, then you have a broken tooth--probably cracked through to the root--rather than an abscess, or maybe in addition to the abscess. If it's cracked down to the root, a $70 tooth-puller is your alternative to a $1700 root canal and crown.

If you have a broken off piece of tooth, sometimes you can seal it off with soft wax so that air cannot get in, and this cuts down on the pain.

Edited by Ambergris

Hello. I am a Dental Assistant.

If you have a tooth ache, the tooth is dying, plain and simple. The tooth ache may get worse or start feeling less painful which means the pulp is nearly dead. Yes, you will need a root canal or extraction depending on the cause of the pulp death. You'll need Vicodin for pain control until the tooth completely dies and the pain subsides. What happens next is the tooth will slowly get infected. So, sorry to be grim, just teliing you the process.

Many public health care clinics have a walk in time and will charge you very little ($30-$50) to see you, give a script for pain meds or antibiotics if there is swelling. That will at least buy you some time to get to a Dentist for tx.

Hope you feel better real soon.

Rainy

That's right Rainy. I had a bad toothache a long time ago and couldn't get to a dent$st. The pain finally went away and I thought everything was getting better. But by the time I could go, I found out it had died. I had to have an extraction. That is one of the two teeth I'd like to have an implant for, but by now I'd probably have to have bone grafting. Shudder. :faint3:

Hi Everybody

Thank all y'all for your concern

I'm afraid to say this because I may jinx it, but maybe writing it won't be so bad. I have been without pain for about 26 hours. I don't know what worked. I've used clove oil, an hour later I rinsed with hydrogen peroxide, the next hour I rinsed with warm salted water and I'm still taking Ibuprophen - 2 about every 3 hours. I had been taking 4 about every 2 hours. I have not had a miracle cure. I have felt 3 twinges for about 30 seconds each during that time.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't know what worked, but it did. I am so grateful.

Rainygardner, I don't believe you were being grim, just honest. Believe me when I say that as soon as I can in November, I will have whatever is needed done.

Again, thanks to you all and please keep your fingers crossed that I can go painless or close to painless for the next 5 weekks.

YYY

Good to hear SOMETHING worked! The peroxide..... I wonder if that's what my dentist told me to do to keep from getting the cankor sores I DID get. But when they have your mouth open :cheeky-smiley-067: ..I can't write down what they're saying. Kept forgetting to ask again. :banghead:

Anyway, I was saying that the peroxide will be keeping the nasty germs in check until you can get in later, YYY. Hope you can stay pain free.

MtRider [...my mouth war is plodding on ....but I ate some actual food tonite. Took an hour to do it but meat was tasty. ]

:misc-smiley-231: Sheeeeeeeeesh.....where HAS my brain been? Here we've had this thread going with all this advice and options for TOOTH ACHE but I never connected the dots for just plain gum/tongue pain. Like my cankor sores.

So guess what FINALLY put me outta my :wacko: misery yesterday? Clove oil. Dentist isn't in office Fri-Sun. Talked to him Monday. Better but still not able to eat, due to the pain of cankor sores [yes, now two of them] on tongue. He suggested Ambesol [don't have any] and a light bulb went off in my head. ['bout time!] I countered with "clove oil?" YESSSSSSSSSSSSS! I HAVE that!

{Yes, Ambergris, I just reread this whole thread and discovered you HAD mentioned the clove oil for open sores in mouth. Sheeesh! Missed that!}

Clove oil burns initially but NOTHING like the pain I've already had. I'd GLADLY do that again! Then ....BLESSED RELIEF!!!! :happy0203: Oye, it was like someone finally shut off the electric current that had been zapping thru my whole body for the past three days. WHEEEEW!

SO CGA, if I take a 1 oz bottle with dropper lid....put in oil...how many whole cloves might I need to increase my supply of clove oil. Putting THAT at the top of my To Do list. I currently have a teeny, tiny bottle but it only takes a bit on the end of your finger to rub all over your sore mouth. Potent but :thumbs:

And DH finally remembered the Listerine and I'm doing mouth washes with that [full strength] too. Clove oil for pain and Listerine for microbe nasties.

MtRider [....still feel like an IDIOT for not connecting tooth ache and other mouth pain.... :rolleyes: ]

Edited by Mt_Rider

Well, I wondered why you weren't using it, but assumed you were sensitive to it or something.

Go to http://www.atlanticspice.com/ or http://www.herbco.com/ online and order your spices by the pound. They aren't as cheap as a couple of other places, BUT the spices and herbs are much higher quality. You get more bang for your buck even if you have to pay shipping. (I've ordered elsewhere and will not do so again.)