MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
The WE2's

HAND WASHING DISHES

Anybody got a nice recipe for making liquid dish soap, for handwashing dishes? I've tried several and just can't find one that I like enough to continue making it when I can buy regular stuff for a buck at our $Tree store. Suggestions?

Update...I think perhaps I've found one that will work for me. Here's what I've got mixed up for in the morning...

PHILBE'S HOMEMADE LIQUID DISH SOAP

(for hand washing dishes)

What you'll need:

Wire whisk

1 bar of Yardley's soap (whatever fragrance you like) or Ivory

Medium sized stock pot w/lid

Empty gallon bleach jug

3 Tablespoons of Super Washing Soda

1) Shred the soap (use food processor or grater) as fine as possible.

I prefer almost to a powder.

2) Fill bleach jug a little less than half full of water and then pour that amount into your stock pot.

3) Bring water to a near boil (DO NOT BOIL!) and reduce heat.

4) Add soap shreds and whisk vigorously, and frequently until soap shreds are totally dissolved.

5) Add Super Washing Soda, turn off heat, and continue to whisk.

6) Fill the bleach jug again, a little less than half full of water and pour into stock pot of soap mixture.

7) Wisk vigorously and put lid on. Let sit overnight.

8) When morning arrives, pour finished mixture into bleach jug, but leave room at top of jug to shake before each use. I like to write "Dish Soap" on the jug with my magic marker.

Here's a pic of my stock pot that sitting in my breezeway...waiting for it's final results!

Edited by Philbe

I would appreciate your dish soap recipes! I never thought of making my own. I am SO allergic to the store bought stuff! And the "green" brands that i am not allergic to are 7 bux a bottle.

Just gave my new dishwashing soap a test...dipped my sponge in and gave it a quick squeeze or two...LOOKIN' GOOD! Sudsy!!! That's what I'm after. One sponge full washed 2 saucers, a small bowl, a small skillet, a small plastic storage container & lid, some misc. flatware, and some cooking utensils and still have a sponge full of soap and suds! The previous versions just had too much water I guess, and too much washing soda. Kept the soap from being sudsy??? Anyway...for me, I think I'm good to go! I've got a gallon of dishwashing soap for the cost of a bar of Yardley and a bit of washing soda...all of which I had! Oh...they say NOT to use Fels Naptha on your dishes etc. I didn't like some of the previous recipes because it called for adding oils (T-tree...essensials etc.) and I think it reduced the sudsing also. Anyway...just my own concoction! LOL

So, where is your recipe ?? We want to make some, too !!

What you'll need:

Wire whisk

Empty gallon bleach jug

2) Fill bleach jug a little less than half full of water and then pour that amount into your stock pot.

4) Add soap shreds and whisk vigorously, and frequently until soap shreds are totally dissolved.

6) Fill the bleach jug again, a little less than half full of water and pour into stock pot of soap mixture.

8) When morning arrives, pour finished mixture into bleach jug, but leave room at top of jug to shake before each use. I like to write "Dish Soap" on the jug with my magic marker.

P.S. If you're not into grating, you can dissolve your bar of soap in a pan overnight . . . Westbrook taught me that little secret several years ago and I haven't grated since!

Letting it sit out to dry...or allowing it to sit in water over night...BOTH good ideas!!! It sure ends up being a thick concoction! I'm thinking about adding a few drops of lemon juice to sort of spice things up. Guess you could add whatever you want? I still am dealing with the lack of suds in my dishpan. Guess I'm spoiled? Got any ideas ladies how we can improve this and not be costly or irritants to those who have allergies? This is "our" batch...we can do whatever we want! LOL

Letting it sit out to dry...or allowing it to sit in water over night...BOTH good ideas!!! It sure ends up being a thick concoction! I'm thinking about adding a few drops of lemon juice to sort of spice things up. Guess you could add whatever you want? I still am dealing with the lack of suds in my dishpan. Guess I'm spoiled? Got any ideas ladies how we can improve this and not be costly or irritants to those who have allergies? This is "our" batch...we can do whatever we want! LOL

Update...I still just don't like it...not enough suds. It cleans very well, but I guess I need to "see" some bubbles. You ladies got any ideas?

Anyone have recipe for a shampoo bar???

..... <_< Not tellin' who stayed up WAAAAY too late last night reading about homemade soaps of all sorts.

:mornincoffee:

If you want to have a liquid soap, you should start with KOH instead of NaOH (potassium hydroxide rather than sodium hydroxide). If you are ordering lye for soap you can usually get whichever you prefer. Wood ashes make KOH, BTW.

Mt Rider, any Castile soap makes a good shampoo bar, though I just use my regular soap and that works fine. You can make castile much cheaper than you can buy it.

Anybody got a nice recipe for making liquid dish soap, for handwashing dishes? I've tried several and just can't find one that I like enough to continue making it when I can buy regular stuff for a buck at our $Tree store. Suggestions?

Update...I think perhaps I've found one that will work for me. Here's what I've got mixed up for in the morning...

What you'll need:

Wire whisk

Empty gallon bleach jug

Here's a pic of my stock pot that sitting in my breezeway...waiting for it's final results!

FOUND THAT BY ADDING A FEW TABLESPOONS OF MY FAVORITE "BLUE" DISHWASHING LIQUID TO MY MIXTURE, I GET MY SUDSY! WILL MAKE MY "BLUE STUFF" GO A LONG, LONG WAY! LOL

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.