MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Dee

My Pinched Pennies Today - How About You?

Using the last of the garden produce and adding a 1/2 jar of canned beef = fresh vegetable soup for lunch today. Add a couple slices of pumpkin bread and YUM!!!

The other 1/2 jar of beef will make a couple of bar-b-qued sandwiches for DH. Add a some fruit, cottage cheese, a dill pickle and chips and we've got 2 meals for him.

There's enough soup for 2 meals so looks like it's easy on the budget and all taken care of for the next couple of days.

If your DH won't eat the same thing 2 days in a row save it for 2 or 3 days then serve it again. I'm fortunate that there is very little my DH won't eat AND if he likes it could eat it for a week.

I have to garden more. I grocery budget has gone from $35 a week to about $75 with food price increase.

Next season Ill add more raised beds and garden, mixing berrie bushes and ground berries in with my shrub beds.

The next house we buy and it may be next year, won't have shrub beds, it will have fruit and berrie beds in place of flower beds. I will do a lot more canning as well.

We want to join the Gleaners assosciation to get large amount of potaotoes and fruit, gleaners is very cheep to join and you get tons of leftover harvest from farmers.

Supper tonight is gonna be sloppy joes ( using ground venison and hamburger buns that I got from the day old store) and augratin potatoes made from potatoes that I got on sale and dehydrated. Dessert will be some Amish friendship bread. YUMMY

Hubby will take the leftovers in his lunch tomorrow!!!!

I have started challenging myself to see how little I can spend on meals and still eat like we are used to. It has been a fun and challenging personal game that has helped me save a lot of money

Using the last of the garden produce and adding a 1/2 jar of canned beef = fresh vegetable soup for lunch today. Add a couple slices of pumpkin bread and YUM!!!

The other 1/2 jar of beef will make a couple of bar-b-qued sandwiches for DH. Add a some fruit, cottage cheese, a dill pickle and chips and we've got 2 meals for him.

There's enough soup for 2 meals so looks like it's easy on the budget and all taken care of for the next couple of days.

If your DH won't eat the same thing 2 days in a row save it for 2 or 3 days then serve it again. I'm fortunate that there is very little my DH won't eat AND if he likes it could eat it for a week.

Oh Dee!! We could be sisters. :darlenedance: My DH will eat just about anything, as long as he doesn't have to cook himself. :grinning-smiley-044:

I've found that inventorying everything makes for a frugal grocery shopping at the grocery stores. I know how many jars of canned veggies on the shelf and every cut of meat in the freezer. I've finally started using those lists and create weekly menus. It's harder during the summer as I cook what's ripe in the garden. :whistling:

Now that the weather has turned chilly, I can add back in the soups and stews. I really miss them! But, not the cold weather. :banghead:

I need to check the garden today. I don't think we got a frost even though the shed roof had a tinge of frost last night. :wink (2):

Oh Dee!! We could be sisters. My DH will eat just about anything, as long as he doesn't have to cook himself.

Maybe it's more that our husbands could be brothers!:darlenedance: DH is the same way about not wanting to cook and would rather, any day of the week, eat at home than go out. I'm sure he's afraid if he complains one or the other of those two will happen. frying%20pan.gif

I do like the idea of sisters though and I don't have any so you are now my cyber-sis!!!:bighug2:

The challenge is fun isn't it deerslayer? I suppose that means I don't have much for excitement in my life but I do find it fun.

rainygardner, if you find a home with established fruit trees I'll be soooooo envious. I think you'll love all you can do with the fruits. My brother and SIL in Sacramento used to have gleaners come to their place every year. They didn't live on a farm but it was 5 acres that some hippy built through the years and had fruit trees, berry bushes, etc. The seniors came in droves to glean.

Edited by Dee
spelling.....sigh :)

I pinched pennies so hard that I didn't spend any. cheeky-smiley-067.gif

My inlaws called me to go to Sam's with them so they could add me as the other person on their account, and I didn't spend anything at Sam's. Woohoo!

Lunch was 2 cans of "miscellaneoius" soups and left over mac & peas from supper...sound weird? VERY tasty! Served up with toasted french-type bread!

1348504923[/url]' post='388749']

The challenge is fun isn't it deerslayer? I suppose that means I don't have much for excitement in my life but I do find it fun.

Does that mean I'm not exciting either?????behindsofa.gifgirlneener.gif

Some of yesterday's crock pot roast went back into the pot for stew. We'll probably eat it with toast because there's some bread needing to be used up. The rest of the beef will have a date with sweet'n sour sauce/rice, or onion in the fry pan. I dehydrated hash brown potatoes, and I am wanting to try those out too. They were pretty tasty straight off the trays. Can you season them before dehydrating if you don't use salt?

A friend told me today about a store that sets out boxes of their merchandise that is about to go bad. She has gotten 50 lb. bags of potatoes, onions and a case of fresh mushrooms. I had to go out today so stopped by this place. There was one box with four eggplant in it. One was definitely gone so that went in my compost. Now to look up recipes using eggplant.

Also made the SOS Mix recipe Trudy posted the link to.

I know you are going to like the soup mix Peaceful. I decided to mix mine up while I was cleaning the kitchen tonight. (I did add some Tones freeze dried dried mushrooms to my mix.) It looked so good I decided to try it out. It tasted good but was a little thick to eat for soup, so I thinned it with about 1/4 cup of milk and 1/4 cup of chicken broth.( I had just boiled a chicken for a casserole for tomorrow.) It made the best soup! Now I will have to freeze the broth in 1/4 c cubes to have on hand for my favorite new soup!!

A Cheap Meal !...............................

Michael's "UNstuffed Peppers"

seeing Lori doesn't like the whole stuffed peppers I have been making it this way - using peppers, onions from garden and meat bought on sale.

This will feed 3 - 4 people depending on how hungry you are - serve with bread.

fry (in large skillet) 1 pound of chop meat

chop and boil (a minute or two) some peppers (both red and green) - I do this while meat is cooking

chop onion and add to meat in pan, along with peppers

Cook rice (about 3/4) and add to pan

add Pasta sauce (homemade is best!) until 'thick'

** tonight added leftover corn

cook until hot and serve in bowls

.................................................................................................................................................................................................

Here is how I do my chop meat:

We buy it on sale and then freeze in 1 pound bags.

I use Ziploc sandwich bags and then put them into gallon freeze bags so I can take out 1 pound at a time.

= = here is the 'trick' = =

Measure out 1 pound of meat and put it into the sandwich bag and close most of it - then I push the meat flat in bag to get out most of the air. Use a rolling pin to get it nice and flat in bag and then seal the Ziploc bag.

I write the date with marker and then 'stack' them into the large bag and freeze.

When you 'need' a quick meal - take out 1 bag and seeing it is flat it will thaw out fast (or put it into a bowl of water (still in bag) while you get other things ready)

:AmishMichaelstraw:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.