MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

THOUGHTS FOR TODAY

Friday...MM just headed out for the job site, stopping by the credit union to deposit the rewards for his labor from last week and will make another after his work for this week is completed. Monday is his birthday, so I'm going to see if I can find some little something at the preppers expo Saturday or the gun show here in our city Sunday. Abby had her first orange bit. Soooo funny! She didn't quite know what to do with it. We laughed and laughed as she "tested" and "tasted" each part. Using her little front teeth the peeled the pulp to eat and then went after the rind. Yesterday her treat was a frozen celery head (from when I prepped the celery last week) and the day before, a frozen apple core (from my applesauce etc.). I save alot of those things and freeze them for her for her treats. She was a good girl this morning, and only nudged the side of the bed (instead of leaping into the middle of the bed and scaring the daylights out of us!) to let us know she was awake and wanted OUT...so no time out necessary! LOL Got a load of towels washing, the rest of laundry is caught up. Listening and watching news...things are a mess on the east coast. MM and I had discussed very recently the "ripple effect" that the devastation would incur, and it's obviously coming to fruition. I still don't think it's over...there's going to be some disease/illness related events that will manifest itself...at least that's what I believe. They said on the news this morning that people were already "dumpster diving" and having brawls over gas as tempers flare, etc. Even on Fox News this morning Heraldo and Eric were in other's faces and Heraldo had to be calmed down (as usual...he gets very dramatic) by Steve Ducie. But...if it's to be fair and balanced, they have to let them have their say. We asked ourselves why some of them chose to stay...even though they were repeatedly warned a week ahead of time that this storm was going to be a major "event" as never seen. Tornadoes are the "events" in this state, and we have to admit, we don't have a basement and we don't go to the homestead where we do have one. Told MM perhaps we need to re-think the "what if"! Assuming just because it's never happened before that it can't...??? Sort of like the lady who cut the ends off her ham when putting it in the oven, and when asked why...she said because mom did. So they asked her mom and she said because her mom did. After tracing it back, the great-grandmother said "so it would fit in my oven" (oven's were much smaller then!)....duh!

:hapydancsmil:

I hope your husband has a very happy birthday, Philbe :)

The news is so intense, I can't watch it anymore, it's too depressing and weighs me down for the rest of the day as my mind drifts back to those scenes. It's not that I don't care, I do, it's just overwhelming seeing right now. :pray:ing for everyone in those areas. I have a friend who lives in NJ and works in NYC, and she thankfully has her power back on and didn't have to face any of the situations that many are facing. Still, it was and is a stressful situation for her and her family -- I keep thinking about that when I see the news, I cannot even begin to imagine how they're feeling, and coping. Also thanking God this morning that the storm was not bad in our area and that we don't have to face the devastation firsthand.

The scenes are also a sharp reminder to always try to be prepared, and have plan a, b, c...

Lumabean, I was thinking of you and praying for you during the storms ! I was hoping you were protected. So glad to see you posting.

We keep getting just things from NY, NJ, and CT. here. It is so surprising to see how awful the damage is. Sad, since there are still people in New Orleans and North Dakota living in FEMA trailers. I know of a gal from a forum that is still living in one in ND.

Like Violet...kept you and many others in my prayers. Iowa (many years ago) had the devastating floods that ruined many cities and homes. Throughout our world we see people suffer...and have to raise our hands and say "I don't know why I've been spared Lord...but thank you...and how can I help?" I guess people are becoming frantic now for water in some areas and I say "Philbe...you're short on water!" Just because I have a Berkey and a Berky sport bottle, and several cases of bottled water...would I really trust my Berkey to filter that crappy stuff flowing through the streets etc.? Oh my, oh my...self exam time!

Saturday...have a very nice time at the expo. Found us another Berkey bottle (now have 2) for about half the price of what we paid for the other...grrrr!!! Abby was wonderful and amazed people with her manners (she saves her tantrums for us at home...LOL) and enjoyed the socialization. By the time we left, she was barely paying any attention to the pats on the head, the rubs under chin and the rustling of her ears...LOL When she jumped into the back of our van it didn't take her long at all to go sleep (after she got her tummy lunch). Found some other "goodies" that will make our efforts to be prepared easier, like some milar bags and 3 of those lantern tops that fit on a canning jar. When I saw them I said "MM we need those!" Were $5 each and there were only 3 left...so he said how many, and I said "all 3 of them". While he was paying for them a lady said she was hopin we wouldn't buy them all...don't know where she came from because she wasn't anywhere that I could see her until we were paying for them. The vendor said he brought 2 cases and they sold out within the first 20 minutes of the show! MM said "snooze you lose"...yeah, I would have probably bought a few more if he'd of had them! Anyway, the vendor gave her a rain check and had her fill out her order for shipment direct. Was amazed that there were 4 people who came to the show with "coupons" from somewhere east, and told the ticket people "we're from the Sandy people and we have these coupons to get us in free"...and they let them in free! Everyone else paid $10 each...so, it appears some really did evacuate! We finished the rest of our grocery shopping a bit ago, and even had a little to add some stock to the pantry. Bought a flat of chili beans because we love them, they are quite tastey just about any way you heat them up. Will work very well in the solar oven with some other ingredients for chili. Going to a gun show tomorrow for a little while, then driving to the other "little house" a few miles away to do some sorting etc., up there. RV friends emailed and they're toying with the idea of a camp out for bunch of us the middle of this month. Probably will do it...even though we've wintz the travel trailer we can still re-gear and just haul water in jugs etc. We're very good at "dry camping". We could go ahead and de-wintz but it's not really necessary for just the 2 of us for a couple of days. MM has a little tool he could use to quickly freeze-proof again if we did decide to go ahead though. We did that on our last Thanksgiving trip that took us to the Texas coast line and back. About 150 miles from home, we woke up to snow on the ground! Had to use my hair dryer to heat the holding tank valves so we could dump (we had full hookup thank God!) and then he winterized very quickly. Have a good evening my blogger friends!

Monday...got up before daylight...so much to get started since I've stored all the meats I bought on sale etc. Had my food sealer going for a long, long time! LOL Ended up with 6 packs of bottom round with 2 steaks each (I cut them myself from one whole), 6 packages of 2 each pork loin for pork chops or?, 20 packs of 1 huge chicken breast (I butterfly them, pounded them out and we get 2 each), 8 packages of 2 each Italian seasoned meet balls, and some scraps for Abby that I vacume sealed in the frig for a MAJOR treat! Loaded one of my dehydrators with 6 trays of shoestring potatoes so it's doing it's job. Got lots of room in my frig...none in my freezer, and a little room in my deep freeze. Guess I'll look for some veggies on sale. I keep my meats in my freezer and my frozen veggies, breads etc, in my deep freeze (it's a small chest type). That's why I dehydrate so much, gives me more food in less space. Abby's slumbering away since it's a drizzling rain outside and we don't have the canastoga tarp over her kennel yet. Was going to do it yesterday but MM got to feeling a bit "puney" so we slowed things down a bit so he could take a power nap. Sucked on a couple Zicam instant melts this morning just for safety. We've had our flu shots but we've been out and about alot, and around lots of people, not to mention there are some allergens out there this time of year. Haven't had enough cold weather to kill them off yet. Our camping friends made reservations for a camp trip this weekend and wanted us to go, but we're passing. Just too many irons in the fire to do and we'll be camping Thanksgiving. That would put us "out" most of November. I'm sure they'll have a wonderful time though! Greetings to everybody here for a great day!

Edited by Philbe

Tuesday...glad we live in USA and it made me ask myself a question...for those who "live off the grid"...and don't want anybody to know where they're at...how do they plan to register and vote? Do they plan to vacate that right prior to a SHTF world? Just curious what some of ya's think. Another "dreary" day...not rainy today but just "dreary"...hope that's not an omen. Put the dehydrated string potatoes into a mylar bag and it's ready for storage...was able to get all 6 trays into one medium sized bag...leaving enough at top to re-seal (with oxy obsorbers) after a couple of uses. Hard to stay out of them yesterday when they were smelling so good and still soft enough to eat! LOL

NAUGHTY ABBY!!!! Cleaning and finishing my cast iron skillet, had it on the burner, heard this "weird" huffing sound, went to peek into living room and this is what I found...with Abby right in the middle of it! When she heard me shout her name she headed for her crate! She knew was going to have a time out even though I hadn't fully recovered from the site! She's NEVER chewed something up before! No more $75 beds for Abby! She's "grounded" ! Bed is in dumpster for trashmen Thursday, and she's banished to sleeping on the rug with her blanky!

I think she is hinting at something. If she is tearing up her bed it must mean she wants a different kind of bed. Something must be on her mind.

You know, like coming to spend some time at Aunt Jeepers house snuggling right in the middle of her bed. :008Laughing:

Jeepers! You tryin' to make me feel bad!? LOL We just allowed her off her blanky so she could give her human daddy her evening greeting...she had to watch him come in, wash his hands, read the mail, eat his supper...all from her blanky! Normally she gets a real good "frisking" from daddy when he comes home! LOL I still am flabbergasted...she's never literally destroyed something like that...but I guess she was trying to get my attention...LOL She did! Think she might "rearrange" your bed too if you weren't looking?

:laughkick:

Thursday...seemed like I worked all day yesterday. Re-packaging the powdered sugar, sorting through the pantry to get everything more "together" and checking to see where we might be lacking and what we've got more than enough in comparison to the rest. Checked the deep freeze, freezer & frig also. Re-arranged some of my kitchen shelving items to be more consistent with my needs, and did most of laundry. Today...laundering MM's work clothes & our denims etc. Got some light rolls in a pan to rise. I put six of them into my smaller loaf pan and let them rise, they make a wonderful loaf of bread that we can just "tear off" a chunk. Planning to sort through the frig & pitch some "long standing" sauces etc. I wish we could buy small bottles of marinade sauces. I could freeze them but only have a small chest deep freeze that I keep my veggies, pre-cooked foods that I've vacume sealed, butters and etc. We have another small chest freezer that was given to us that worked at that time(at the homestead) but it's dirty and needs to be cleaned inside and out and we just don't have room for it in the pantry. Can't re-package & seal in my baby food jars because they'd take up just as much room in my frig side shelves (where I keep all sauces etc.) Keep my meats inside in freezer where they're handy AND easy to throw into our 2 empty coolers if we have to take off for our travel trailer. I did notify myself that I have been letting my ice maker run a little lower than I should...would need ice to keep meats cold in coolers! And was sorely irritated that I have neglected to put some large bags of ice in the deep freeze! Naughty Philbe! Then to make matters worse, found that while I was sorting through, I had laid the raw cabbage I had vacume sealed out and forgot to put it back in...nice balloons! Out to the dumpster it had to go....GRRRR! Where has Philbe been the last 2 days? Probably watching too many politics? Naughty Philbe! Today Mountain Man is hoping to have the clients trim work done on the laminate flooring he put in for them in one of their apartments. Their cleaning lady is due in this eveing so he needs to be done! The floor looks beautiful! But...being a one man operation and CHEAP...it takes him longer because he can't afford to hire anyone to help him...but, he's so affordable his clients elect to have him do their jobs. PTL!!! Now...maybe we can get back on our work schedule of M-Th for others, F-S for us! Still feeling so uneasy for those people on the east coast yet can't help but be glad that those around this web site, have been prepared as best they can. This is just a taste of what we might feel if things were really bad in our neighborhoods...would we be able to say "NO" to their cries for help..even though we knew they had been warned to get out? I guess my solution is to "prep" some more!

Just took out a "loaf" of wheat roll bread. The house smells soooo good! Mountain Man says he loves coming home from work because the house always smells so good...hee, hee, hee! Anyway...he likes my "wheat roll bread". Instead of making one big dough ball and making bread, I roll out six small "rolls" and let them rise in my smaller sized loaf pan...it's really easy to just pull off a chunk & not have to cut it. For 2 empty nesters it's great and they even make a good "bun" type sandwich.

Edited by Philbe

Hi, Philbe! I tried to use the shout box to tell you that I could smell the bread baking but the Shout box seems to be broken today! I baked some bread yesterday, too! Today is a bit of a non-prepping day for me. I will be getting rid of a few things that have been cluttering up the house.

I'm going to try your bread idea, Philbe, the crumbs from cutting the bread gets on my (perhaps a bit OCD) nerves (my husband and son get them allllll over the place, even when I am the one doing the cutting) so pulling a piece off sounds very appealing. Sort of reminds me of those dinner rolls (cloverleaf?) that have the 3 parts.

So today's goals are the bread baked this way, and trying my hand at making marshmallows :)

Quite all right...having the same issues. I changed to compatibility setting and it's still HUGE and wants to over power the screen. Can't post anything into the shout box. My anti-virus is up to date, ran anti-malware and didn't turn up anything. Don't know what else to do. I "may" do a restore to yesterday, and see if that works.

Friday...MM and I finished putting the tarp over Abby's "canastoga" kennel (LOL)and washed up all the jars that I collected when I cleaned out my frig. I always wash them up and save them if they have that little "seal" around the cap, because I can use my food save cannister to re-seal them for things I plan keep. Saves using my canning jars. Sorted through all my little "saved" packets from Taco Bell, McD's etc...the ones they give you...jellies, taco sauces, bbq sauces, horsey sauce, honey mustard etc. You know. Anyway, sorted them through to see if any had burst or anything (I keep them in canning jars in frig). We raid them periodically when we go camping so I don't have to take larger items. Anyway...I'm hoping this web site gets straightened out. I don't like to do restores on my pc if I don't have to.

Saturday...web site still not functioning properly, but oh well! MM came in yesterday from finishing his last work project and then left for bank deposit...(smile) Just walked in the door & his cell rang...client had a tenant locked out after install of new steel door. Client couldn't get in either because of "safety lock". So...MM re-geared and went to work site. Ended up he had to take a ladder to 2nd floor apt., open a kitchen window and shinny inside. The owner and the tenant both stood there agast saying "are you sure you can do this?" (MM is a pretty big fella!) So tenant took out her cell phone and commenced to taking pictures. Anyway...he did shinny through that window! LOL Everybody thinks you have to do something a certain way, but him being a retired builder, he's learned alot of "tricks of the trade" on getting into small spaces...LOL Going to take the motorcycle over to the homestead today and get it inside one of the sheds for the winter, with stabilizer in the fuel tank. It's supposed to be a beautiful day today but crappy tomorrow...so we may "play" and then work on the little house tomorrow since it will be inside work and it's warm inside (we keep the furnace on). Have a great day friends, and like all of you...will be glad when the web site server gets up and functioning...or...Microsoft gets their act together. Whatever is the issue!

Monday...Mrs. S web site still not functioning...??? MM and I worked our tails off yesterday, we put in another 5' pantry and pretty much emptied a bedroom to put it in. We'll add another in a couple of months or so. That gives us two, 5 shelves, 5' racks and with the can organizers helps us prepare more for emergencies. I'm still seeing the east coast go through the deluge of having to depend on government entities for their help...so sad. Put up a lot of pastas today in vacume sealed bags, and then into mylar bags and then into various buckets etc, while MM was working on another client's job. God is truly building MM's business and we're truly grateful, even though it's still "touch and go" because we've both been out of work over a year. I intend to just stay retired on my ss, but he needs to keep up his work skills and keep his carpentry tools working and not just sitting around. Too much $$$ spent there to lose them to rust! LOL Greetings to everybody on this very chilly Monday!

Friday...web site appears to be up & running except the shoutbox. I know these gals have worked their tails off getting us up and communicating again...THANKS! Had to admit Mom to hospital (COPD) which is pretty regular for her when the allergies turn to pneumonia. Now we do doggie duty for her 2 dogs. The youngest one drew blood on my hand and also bit MM's hand ... she's so totally unsocialized! Then pooped all over the floor as MM was carrying her out, then we chased her around the big yard until we finally cornered her and threw a blanket over her. Then she promptly pooped all over the porch and MM's shoe! Finally had my fill and flipped her nose with my fingers (she's a minpin-chiquahua mix and only 6 mos. old) until she finally quit snapping at me! Alpha Philbe! Will just take her crate outside next time and let her do her duties and then let her go back into it and THEN carry it into the house! MM's working on another new client's projects...so thankful to the Lord for the work! Needless to say though, our camping trip for Thanksgiving is off...have to stick around for doggie duty etc. Mom's normal COPD stays (every year) last from 10-14 days...depending on how quickly they can get the pneumonia taken care of. Anyway...hugs to all my friends! Yippee, Mrs. S is on her way to recovery!

Sunday evening...Been doing "doggie duty" now since last week when we hospitalized my mom. After getting severely bitten by mom's minpin mix, we purchased a "lap dog training collar" and it's working like a charm! We just sit the wire crate on the porch, open the gate, and off she goes with the older terrior mix. Then when their "business" is done, we just "herd" her back into her crate and back into the house the crate goes. My finger is getting better but we sure had a time getting the bleeding to stop etc. Put a piece of cosmetic sponge over the bandage and then another piece of waterproof tape, so it's now cushioned and doesn't break open when I bump it. Just didn't want stitches! I was sure glad we had the stop bleed stuff that we bought from the pet store. Helped take some of the pain away as well as helping to stop the bleeding. Packed a picnic basket and MM, myself and Abby went to a near by state park and enjoyed getting away and relaxing in the woods. Abby was extraoidiaire (sp?) being off leash (except with her electronic collar). We took her for a 3 mile hike in the woods and it was wonderful for all 3 of us. Any time she got out of site, we'd call "come back" and here she would come...trotting with her tongue hanging out like a happy Lab/Aussie dog! She took a swim in the creek-river and had her first encounter with a dead deer carcass. Used the remote to back her off since we didn't know how the deer had died. She'll be a whole year old Dec. 5th! Hardly seems we came packing her home when she was 6 wks. old and 9 lbs.! Today is the first time in 2 weeks that she's even had the remote collar on, so we're pretty proud of her progress. Needless to say, we're all 3 tuckered out...both of them are in the front room sleeping and I'm here...saying hello to my blogger friends! Still regret not being able to go on our annual Thanksgiving camp out, but just can't do it this year with mom in hospital and her 2 dogs to care for. Son (who lives in upper apt.) is willing to do it but Mom just won't let anybody in her apartment when she's gone except us.