MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

THOUGHTS FOR TODAY

Philbe, A similar thing happened to my son last week. He had his taxes done last week and the IRS rejected his claim saying the name and numbers didn't match up. HR Block made a new appointment for him to come in for a redo. The day before, he got a call reminding him of the appointment. The night before the appointment he found the mistake. It seems the letters H and N were too close on HRB's typewriter. Anyway...he went in and waited about 10 minutes for his turn and the woman came out and said, "Oh, we already found the mistake yesterday and refiled!" He was livid. Mainly because he works nights and had to get up extra early to make the appointment. Not to mention the time sitting around and the gas. What is it with manners and common courtesy these days?! :puzzledsmile:

I asked him if he 'went off' on her. He was pretty angry and tired. He said, "No, she was an old woman." :wub:

FRIDAY...feeling a bit more rested. Yesterday was a very long day delivering floral arrangement (over 100) for Valentine's Day (which we do every year on a part-time basis), had to be at the florist at 7:30 am and made our last delivery at 4:45 pm. It was nice though to see the happy smiles of the receivers. Both of us were frazzled, getting in and out of the van, lifting & carrying heavy arrangements can really tucker you out. All of the schools under junior high were in lock down mode so we had to ring to get in. At hospital, all arrangements had to be left at volunteer cube...which was fine with us since the flu has made hospitals full. Son went by local pantry yesterday and they had a truck load of the individual sized Philadelphia Chocolate Cream Cheese portions so he got three cases and gave them to us! Well, I guess I'll be fixing lots of Smors, lots of cheesecake etc., so many ways to use this stuff! Chocolate is very expensive and so this is really a goodie. I can see big, tender peanut butter cookies with chocolate cream cheese mashed in the middle! Pondering the meteorite event over Russia. Tons of thoughts crossing back and forth over my mind. It happened so suddently and evidently NOBODY (even with all our sophisticated technology) saw it coming. No time to put anything into a faraday cage, no time to seal windows, no time to leave and go someplace else...if you dared to. Windows were broken, roofs were crushed, even heard the alarms go off on a vehicle. Raised awareness level big time this morning...it could have happend during night and nobody would have had any idea of what was going to or did happen. Perhaps I'm a little critical this morning, but facing a much more realistic view of what our world is truly like. We're worrying about guns etc. (and we should be) and a simple meteorite crashing to earth could have killed hundreds of unsuspecting people. Very sobering for me anyway. Pondering how people who live in apartment complexes etc., all could have been victims of a mass murderer coming from the sky. Pondering the cruise ship fiasco...hundred of people exposed to filth and disease and absolutely no way to escape the danger. Masses...Philbe sees lots of danger in living among the masses, even if it's a peaceful mass. They say some on the cruise ship were fighting over food. What if nobody could have gotten to them to tow them in? Instead of jumping from a burning building would they have confiscated rescue boats and went overboard to try to survive in a safer environment? Today is a "Dear Diary" morning for Philbe! The weather's pretty chilly but I think we'll go take Abby-girl for a romp in the state park among the woods, and throw some frisbie!

I made a whole chicken for supper. Carcass is in the pan to make stock and then soup this week. Seems like it's been the Winter of Soup at our house. They are hearty and filling and easy to freeze in containers for enought for DH for supper, though. He works outside, so a bowl of hot soup is good for him for supper.

I need to sit down and go through the ads and come up with a grocery list yet today. Today went by quickly!

Yeah its Tuesday! lol I know so mean but the kids have school I can hear myself think and not hear Im hungry All day. Got most of my bedroom packed yesterday got some papers to go thru and organize then think I will work on the hall some more the kids keep messing it up driving me nuts so if I pack it up I win lol. Not sure whats for dinner yet might pick up something easy when I go out for allergy meds and trash bags don't want to spend a lot of time cleaning the kitchen up tonight got a long day tomorrow driving 2.5 hrs to take baby to the surgeon see what he thinks about his belly button hernia hoping he says it can wait. Have a great day everyone.

Woohoo the surgeon said Ollie's(age2.5) belly button hernia is very small and to recheck it around age 4 bc looks like its repairing itself and there's more chance of it coming back if they did surgery now. So plans for moving are going forward, we are stuck at home today bc it sleeted a lot on top of 2 inches of snow so its very slick outside and school was cancelled. Have a great day everyone time for me to quit playing on puter and get productive lol.

THURSDAY...woke up to a slight dusting of snow...then some wintery mix and thunder, then all .... breaks loose and it's snowing like crazy. Visibility out from window? About 100 ft. I know we'll be out with our snow shoes tomorrow. We love to go to the state park and hike and snow shoe. Mtn.Man's still working on the church's bathroom. When he tore off the wet sheetrock (they called because they saw it leaking) he found where they had just closed off an exterior window but didn't use any caulking or insulation around the window, so he had to go to one of our major hardware/lumber stores to pick up some foam etc.

He doesn't know it yet (but I've given him some pretty major hints) that when this job is finished, he's retiring. He's a terrific carpenter (that's why they keep him busy) and he can build picnic tables, bird houses, whatever...right in his shop and enjoy his skills without having all the aches and pains of being on his knees, twisting his neck & back trying to paint over head, and messing with sheetrock. He hated sheetrock work when he built houses and always hired it out...now, he's over 60 and doing more and more of what he hated! We'll spend our time getting Little House remodeled and sold, the sheds and garage emptied by having sales (both yard & taking stuff to flea markets) , putting the garden in, and doing some R&R via bugging out! LOL It's not as if we don't have anything to do.

Philbe told him "I'm going to be a witch on a broom...I want you retired so we can follow our dreams and goals". Talked to way too many people and they've almost always said "We kept putting off doing the things we wanted to do because of...and then, found we couldn't do any of it." Life is much too short to spend it in a fearful state of mind. We've both conserved enough and done without enough through the years to be able to prepare ourselves for our retirement. Lots of people just don't understand, but they don't have to. We need to follow our dreams. Reading a book from Amazon/Kindle on the 1 acre homestead...makes alot of sense to Philbe. We've got plenty of room at the homestead to do what we need to do for us, son & mom. Son's there to oversee the garden & mow the yardage etc. and watch over mom's needs should any arise. Then, when we want to take a sabatical all we have to do is return to our hometown and our homestead, plug the trailer in...and Mtn.Man can build some picnic tables or ??? and put more funds into the coffers. No matter how healthy people are, they will weaken as they age and it will get harder and harder to do less. That's why we bought the homestead (4 nice big lots) instead of buying a larger acreage that we'd have to keep mowed etc. Couldn't put any livestock on it because we'd have to be traveling to it every day, and building a cabin and animal shelters etc., on a property where you don't live is risky at a minimum and would cost us three times what we paid Mom for the homestead. Also couldn't stick her and son out on an acreage far away from medical care etc. Not to mention that as we ourselves age, we don't want to be stuck in the boonies. If SHTF does occur, then we'll just deal with life as we know it. We'll protect ourselves to the best of our ability, and associate with like-minded friends who can do the same. I know if something would happen to Mtn.Man I wouldn't want to be isolated somewhere in the woods trying to care for livestock, garden etc. by myself. We each have to really diagnose our personal needs and wants, and then put them into operation. It's nice to talk and discuss things with friends etc., but it really boils down to "not trying to keep up with the Jones's" . I'm glad you've got 10,000 acres...but I don't. I'm glad you love to run 500 heads of cattle...but I can't and don't want to. I'm glad you can put out a one acre garden, but I don't want to. I want to do my square foot garden system that requires little maintenance work once I've planted...and it takes care of our needs and then some. I'm glad you've got every gun under the sun and the ammo to go with it...but you can hold one at a time. I just need something for home protection and something to hunt with. I can buy lots more ammo if I'm not buying more guns. I told Mtn.Man I am getting pretty much burned out on this "prepper" thing...I think we've conserved enough to take care of us for one year...long enough to get a garden in & yielding for food, saving the seeds for seed and re-stocking via dehydration. Nothing wrong with being a vegan if I need to, but we do plan to put in a few rabbits for meat, as long as they don't "eat us out of house and home". Nothing to be gained there. Also plan to put in a worm farm. All of which require minimum maintenace between us and son. We've got eight 55-gallon blue plastic barrels that we're going to put under spouts of the homestead house, the big garage and the big 8x24 metal shed (all of which we put metal roofs on) to collect water for gardening etc. Also have an exterior "dump" where we can empty our travel trailer's gray & black water tanks if we need to. Got our "big dog" that's gotten really good at alerting us to "unknown" sounds with her woof-woof. We congratulate her every time. Also has gotten really good at re-call since somebody here, told us to use the call "treat" ...we use "eat" and here she comes, knowing she'll always get some goodie! LOL Well, guess Philbe needs to go get the body cleaned up and dressed. Just listing to the snow hitting the side of our house (it's got steel siding) which just makes one feel "safe and warm" for some reason...figure? Hoping everybody stays warm and safe ... and ...happy!

PS...Mtn.Man got "unstuck" 3 times so he's under Philbe' "house arrest"! Fixed him a nice big mug of hot chocolate AFTER making him strip down on the enclosed patio (it's fairly warm with heater back there) because he was soaked from sweat, snow, ice, you name it! Now relaxing and reading the book "How To Survive Without A Salary"...mixed with the "One Acre Homestead" on my kindle. Put a chuck roast in the crock pot and Abby's pestering wanting to go "out" by ringing her cow bells on the back door...BUT, we know she drained the plumbing earlier! LOL Oh, oh, she just persuaded Mtn.Man to take her "out"...LOL Just like a kid huh?

Fishermanwife...it's a dated book, but surprisingly it's quite up to date with what's going on! Mountain Man is now reading it. The first thing we're going to do now that I'm insisting he retire, is develop his skills as a carpenter and build things in his workshop...ie...picnic tables, bird houses, doll houses, whatever we can come up with...my preference will be for him to build nice bookcases since they sell so very well in our area!

MONDAY...got a letter from a man in another state wanting to buy our mineral rights for natural gas, in that state. We called to let him know we're not interested in selling, or leasing. His offer to purchase was only a few dollars over what these rights "leased" for a few years ago and we told him so. They're not costing us anything, so we'll just sit on them and wait for somebody who wants to lease and perhaps eventually drill. If we sold we'd pay taxes and it would be over IF (and that's a big word I know) they drilled and found natural gas. Hopefully we're not shooting ourselves in the foot because it would be a pretty significant amount even if we sold right now. Told him when he could come up with a better offer, to let us know. Got this video of "Geriatric Dirty Dancing" and laughed my own buns off! Mtn.Man and I love to dance, and we do the swing...but not like this! Hoot! Hoot! Enjoy the laugh!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/eSKCi9ml4ME

Just finished snooping around on various "work camper" sites...we did that for one short season. Alot of people don't realize that there are places that will let you camp free and pay you a wage for taking care of their camps etc...and usually they have "shifts" so you're not tethered to duties. Most of the times is about a 24 hour week (if there's 2 of you). When we did it, I worked 12 hours a week and Mountain Main worked 12 hours a week. He worked gate and I worked the pool/concession. Lots of time to "play" etc. Several state parks have called us to come be their hosts for the summer but we've not taken any of them up on it yet because we need to work at the Little House etc. and now want to have our garden. We will probably do it though when we're ready to go...I can plant lots of veggies etc., in containers at whatever campground we'd be hosting. Just yearning...got the hitch itch...especially with all this snow!

Wednesday...we were able to navigate our way out to the snow route which runs in front of this house. It is sort of nice to be able to get out..IF you can just get out of your driveway and the side street that leads to it! LOL Mtn.Man insisted that I go back to the vision center...glad I did. The original DR was there and when he pulled my chart and vision requirements, he spotted immediately what the problem was and not only explained it to me, but was able to help me "compromise" so I could see to wash my dishes and cook without using readers! Apparently at this time in my life, it was a choice of seeing excellently at a distance with a cost of not see diddly 3' in front of me (literally) or seeling very well at a distance and needing readers only to READ. Pulled some new lenses for me to wear while they order in the ones I need. Said "as you know, your strengths are not a norm so we always have to order them in". Yep...me knows that! Anyway...they'll call when my supply comes in. Was really dreading having to go back to wearing "coke bottle" lenses. The only offset is that these new type of lenses have to be changed every two weeks instead of every month, so I'll need to mark my calender more often. Mountain Man is back out looking for a better fitting back brace, a special "suit" to wear while he's sanding sheetrock and more masks...then try to get to the church's bathroom project. The pastor there and MM really enjoy each other and it makes working for him a pleasure for MM. It's still been "spitting" snow flakes today and the side streets (especially in the downtown area) are horrible. Everything is single lane so there's no places to park and they plow with all the snow piling to the middle of the street. If you do find a lot that's plowed you have to "jump berms" to get to the places you want (like paying our water bill this morning and picking up MM's check from 2 weeks ago on a previous project) to get to. Abby's laying here at my feet with her pillow and her heavy duty kong. I smudged it with peanut butter earlier when we had to crate her for a couple of hours, so she's not letting it out of her sight! LOL Hope all of you that are in the eye of still storm are braced. For us, it came in alot worse than they anticipated...and some of the major cities have areas without power. PTL that the angels kept our city's power lines up...even though they were really doing some blinking!

oh so tired didn't have power for 12 hrs wasn't that big of a deal slept most of it lol it only got down to 55 in the house so we were ok but then realized the city still didn't have power to the water plant so if they didn't get it back on no water so I fill everything up we own just to find out its fixed lol. now trying to pack up some more of the house and get the kids to clean which isn't working too well so they are going to bed and im going to get rid of a lot of stuff while they at school tomorrow bwawaaw. So going to make a list and get better prepared more for the next situation as soon as we move in a couple weeks def need to find storage for more water.

THURSDAY...most of side streets still impassable but MM was able to get to the church. He's just going to load up his tools and wait til the street is clear. The elders of the church shoveled out a space for him and a neighbor promptly parked in it! So he'll just wait. We've got to get over to the homestead house and do some shoveling and minor clean up there. Son shoveled as much as his body could stand, and was able to get his truck out to go to pharmacy for him and Mom. We'll shovel from front of garage etc., so mom can get her car out. Also called like minded friends and they've got alot of tree/limb damage in their tiny front and back yard, and their parking access in the alley is 2' deep...so we'll take our electric pole saw and chain saw and shovels over tomorrow and help them tunnel out. He's on a pacemaker so we just don't want him to try handling it all himself...love him and want to keep him around! Tried to call our other like-minded friends at a BOL and got no answer, so I'm sure they're out on the tractor and four-wheeler clearing themselves a pathway to the gravel road that leads to the asphalt snow route. Lots of work for us this afternoon and tomorrow...but that's what friends and family are for. Abby girl will have to spend some time either on leash or in her crate while chain saws are in use. We've got a wire crate we can take with us and use at friends' house so she doesn't chase their aged dachshund (sp?) and mess up hardwood floors or knock off nic-nacs!

Seems like most of the snow has stopped other than a flurry once in awhile. Hopefully that will give our town time to shovel out and get the tree damages cleaned up. Our city is noted for it's lovely, OLD, trees and we've seen a steady decline in them for several years...due to various storms. Once these monsters come down the property owners don't plant close to their houses any more. We've cleaned out trees that were close to the houses on either of our properties, knowing the dangers they present in any type of storm...wind, snow or ice. They're beautiful and I love trees...but I also know (and have seen first hand) the damages they can do to roofs, windows, fences and vehicles. Hoping praying the path of this past storm weakens as it travels eastward.

Edited by Philbe

SUNDAY...Seems like we've spent the whole weekend cutting up broken tree limbs & branches, shoveling snow...wait...we have! Shoveled out the homestead driveway so mom & son could get out, then helped neighbors cut away & trim a lot of broken limbs etc. Then went to little house and saw a couple of huge tree limbs from neighboring property (on the fence line) had cracked and fell on top of our old Tioga motor home (it's not running right now) so we had to get them off. Took several hours, then went to homestead house again & trimmed some branches etc., that were down there. Abby loves playing in the snow, so while Mountain Man was using chain saw & limb saw I played frisbie with her and then played "catch the snowball" with her...which was a riot! She'd leap into the air, grab the snow ball...then "poof" ... "where did it go"! :laughkick: Took a bit of a tumble at the homestead trying to stand on a branch while I walked with it! :laughkick: Didn't hurt because I was so bundled up, had my back brace on, and the snow was so deep. Mountain Man did get upset that son sat on the porch in his house slippers "while his mom worked her tail off" and didn't even offer to drag a branch. Then we I fell, he laughed and asked "do you need geicho?" He got a bit of a scolding from his step dad, but he had it coming. We had just delivered two big bags of dog food to him for his dogs!

MONDAY...the beginning of a new week. They're calling for more moisture but I think this time we'll just get the rain, tonight. The snow is pretty ONLY where it's pristeen, other places are a dirty messy "gunk" that always comes when snow gets pushed aside etc. Still some piles on driveways and parking lots that are 10' high. The metal roofs on the big garage, the big shorage shed and the homestead house are yielding BIG snow slides, so it's keeping son busy knocking off the "overhands" of snow/ice and then shoveling it up. We need to put up ice bands, but this will come in warm weather when MM can get up on the roofs. That will prevent snow and ice from accumulating like that, and it will slide on off in smaller chunks. Mountain Man's going to resume working on the church bathroom project. He won't put the new wall and sheetrock in until later because when they built the bathroom, they just covered over an exterior window and didn't seal anything around the window etc. That's why it was leaking, this had been covered up for several years. MM told pastor and showed him, so he understands that he got shoddy work when it was built, and needs to wait until they know it's not going to leak again before they put up the new studs and sheetrock. Spent most of last week replenishing pantry items etc., and then the weekend shoveling snow and trimming downed tree limbs etc., so now...the laundry is screaming to be done! A usual Monday chore though... :-)

PS...just listened to FOX news on the anticipated cyber attack that they say IS coming, probably in the next 30 days but could happen any time, and they're going after all online banking customers...big or small. That may also include online shopping. They had a rep from McAfee on also. Make sure your anti-virus is a good one and up to date, make your passwords very strong, and don't open videos etc. I just did a registry repair, a full system scan, and a spybot check, then created a restore point. Also checked my security levels to make sure they were high enough to be safe and yet allow me access.

Edited by Philbe

THURSDAY...nice warm & sunny, snow melting PTL! Abby's spending some "out" time in her kennel, it will do her good since we haven't been out hiking too much. Mtn.Man's trying to get the church bathroom project to a pausing point, so the hydraulic cement can cure well and then make sure it leaks no more. Then it will be time to re-build the stud wall & re-sheetrock etc. Another new client called and has an investment property she's needing him to do some work on, so that will start hopefully next week. We keep wanting to totally retire, but it seems biz keeps coming in and we've both agreed that when God places an opportunity in your hands to add finances etc., to your life (and you've asked Him to help you make ends meet etc.) that you don't turn your back and say "no deal, I want to do my thing". Sort of like the man who drowned, and when he got to heaven asked God why? God told him "I sent 3 boats and a helicopter for you and you turned them down every time, waiting for me to come supernaturally". We've pretty much decided that when God places ANY kind of opportunity in our path, and it will add to our provisions or whatever, that we'll take advantage of it, trusting that if it's not His will, He'll close the door. God sees around corners, over hilltops, through forests, and under waters...LOL Best of all...He sees our hearts! Bananas are still in the dehydrator so they must surely have had alot of moisture. I don't dehydrate over 136 because I don't want to "cook" my foods, so will just wait. I intend to put this batch into some small 1/2 pint jars and vacume seal, so we can take them as snacks this coming season when we're camping. Also intend to fix up some Gorp to put in small jars & vacume seal for gifts. Most of our friends are outdoorsy types and will welcome a nice snack of Gorp. I use salted peanuts, raisins & then some other type of goodie...pinapple chunks, M&M's, butterscotch morsels (my favorite) or peanut butter morsels. Pop a handful in your mouth and it's yum, yum time! Sort of like trail mixes I guess but we call it Gorp.

SUNDAY...worked several hours yesterday at little house after taking a short walk in the state park & having our traditional picnic lunch. It works soooo good for us to have homemade cheeseburgers (I fried up 10+ pounds of seasoned quarter pounders, vacume sealed 2 to a bag, and then put two batches into gallon sized baggies and stuck in freezer) that all I have to do is toast buns, nuke the burgers, put them together with a slice of cheese, wrap in foil and into our insulated picnic basket. Add some chips and granola bars and something to drink and we've saved so much money by not eating burgers out...and they're better for us! We're heading for little house again today to, yes...sort and pack or throw out...we got four totes packed yesterday, two that will be destined for a yard sale and 2 that will be sorted again and sold since it's camping gear. I just can't believe how much camping and survival gear Mountain Man had stored there...and then they dumped when they broke in and ravaged stuff last summer. But...we're coming up on the time to be selling both yard sale and camping stuff. Found a nearly brand new Cabela's big man's camp cot that he's stuck in the back of a closet, so we'll add that to our own camping gear so MM can use that instead of eyeballing a hammock! LOL I'll make do with a low to the ground camp cot and an inflatable emergency mat. We love to relax and read in our reclining camp chairs, but it will be nice to stretch out too and read...and nap! LOL Also found a nifty Coleman Lantern that sets on top of a propane cannister. That will be NICE outside when we want to set at a picnic table (with our EZ up over it) and the campfire making us and our friends feel chatty! We all love to gather around each other's camp fires and tell stories of our childhoods or lives or stories we've heard. We so enjoy everybody's contibutions, and since we're nearly all over 60 we've got some dandy's to tell. It's been rainy since last night and dreary, and a real mess as the heavy rains wash out the heavy snows. But...that's our typical March thingy. Combine that will the change in time and I hear snoring from the bedroom. I do believe Mtn.Man slipped back to take a snooze...LOL He made the comment of "I don't know why I'm feeling so sleepy"...my comment was "that's why we need to get up and get moving around"...guess add a breakfast omelet and it was just more than he could resist! LOL Oh well, no biggy. We can't walk in the woods with this heavy of a rain so that will cut an hour or so off our start time. Abby's curled up on the floor beside me also taking a snooze. What's this!? What's Philbe doing awake? I'm rested, breakfast has been served, dishes are done and towels are dry & ready to be folded. I'm ready to meet the day...where are my side kicks! Guess I'll wait a tiny bit and start making more noise! LOL

MONDAY...well, the rain's stopped but it's still very chilly. Mtn.Man left a bit ago to work again on the church bathroom project, building studding in a front wall, and framing in for a new door in that wall, and checking to see if the hydraulic cement held during all this rain. They've decided to wait for rainy weather to make sure the cracks did seal when MM put in the hydraulic cement before they have MM re-stud and re-sheetrock. Wednesday he starts a new project for another Realtor, re-habing a house she bought for a rental. That will take a while, but he's told her he's not working Fridays, Saturdays, etc. We've finally reached a point at the little house that we need to start loading things up and taking them to the homestead buildings for flea market sales. Since the weather is supposed to be nice this next week or so, we're probably going to hitch up and bug out for the weekend since the corps. campgrounds $4 a night fee will end the end of this month. We've located a small flea market ground not too far from us, so weekend after this we're planning to load the van and truck up (with EZ up canopy) and go there will all our RV and camping stuff. It should sell pretty good, and it's the season. The "major" flea market will happen about 14th or so of April, and we'll drag the trailer with us and stay the whole 4 days or so...will pack the trailer, van and truck as full as we can get them. We're going to price things to sell, we don't want to haul anything back with us. After that weekend, we'll continue at the other flea market and have several yard sales at the homestead house. What remains at the little house is mostly stuff we'll be pitching, then it's ripping up the last of the carpet (in the 2 bedrooms) and a good sweeping out, then...renovations begin. We're still discussing whether to lease it or sell it. We'd love to have it as a rental for the monthly income, but then we think about what would happen if something hits the fan and we'd have squatters ... not of their own choice ... just not able to pay their rent. Also if the property needs repairs/maintenance we'd have to be around for MM to do it, and if it were an emergency we'd have to hire it done etc. This ancient house...it's being sold. Not going to mess with it! I bought it long ago and it's been paid for, for a long time, so anything is nearly pure profit.

Supper's already taken care of since I made a nice pork loin stew in my big crockpot yesterday, and the leftovers are in the frig. Have some potatoes I need to get used up so I think I'll go start some potato soup, a big batch, and store the leftovers for another meal or two. Like most of you here, cooking in large batches saves me time and money. Time saved is a huge thing with us since it's our most valuable commodity.