MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

THOUGHTS FOR TODAY

Thanks for the "thumbs up" on taking time...it helps to "settle" me :-) GYN gave me a few days supply of Ond0nsetron (?) (it's used for after surgery nausea and also for chemo patients) tabs to dissolve in my mouth every 6 hours and it only took one to run the nausea off. Took one more and my system seems to have settled down. I'm keeping the rest of the blister packs in case I need them. No sense taking them if I don't need them. I have also placed myself on a "blander" diet by choice for the time being, avoiding my beloved bell peppers, onions and favorite spices. Even while in hospital I gravitated towards fruits & juices. We picked up a case of Ensure Clear and I'm drinking that with my breakfast meal. Then Metamusil with my lunch (yuck), and lots and lots of water. Felt pretty good today. Went to mother's so MrWE2 could run the vac and carry her laundry to the washer etc. for me. Then he cut some brush away from his "man-cave garage" there :-) Came walking in soaked to his knees...reminded me of when he was working on the CGA project :-) Anywhoooo...gonna go lay down and rest while reading my current kindle e-book, and probably hit the sack early...as usual :-) Believe it or not, this is the first day I haven't had to lay down and nap between 2-3 each afternoon! Makin' progress, but sure will be taking everybody's advice NOT to rush my recovery!

• 2 months later...

Golly, didn't realize how long it's been since I posted here :-) It's been a busy year for us. We helped someone (CGA) with what we could, then I had the surgery that went sour, and now we're playing catch up :-) Had to do some important work on Miss B (our Class B motorhome) and still have some major front end work that will need to be done before we take her on any lengthy camping trips. Changed over all the lighting in the travel trailer and Miss B to LED's and although it was costly, it will save us tons later on both in burned out bulbs (older type) and energy consumption. We're trying to gradually do the same in this house and the Roost when we get the remodeling done & we're moved...probably not going to happen until next year :-( I'm dreading these next few months because it means insurance and taxes are due on 3 properties, 2 vehicles and a motorcycle. MrWE2 doesn't have any work this week so we "attacked" the old Tioga Class C and are intent on stripping it out & selling it for scrap. The front seats were brand new (and gorgeous) so we brought them home & changed the old seats in Miss B to these new ones. They look so very nice! Also took a flip up counter extension shelf & put it in Miss B...makes me happy, happy :-) Voted today and am praying God's mercies on our country. Tomorrow we'll head back to the Roost and begin stripping out the old motorhome. We've already taken out the 4-burner stove w/little oven, the double sink and the counter it sets in. We'll be saving all of these things (water heater, generator, microwave, toilet, the old seats we took out of Miss B, the overhead a/c, and other salvageable things to either use when we build our cabin or to sell. MrWE2 did get the new shelves built in the storage shed at the Roost so we were able to gain A LOT of storage. The weather hasn't been bad at all so we're working like beavers. Me being out of commission for nearly 2 months put us even further behind on our goals than we were :-( But my strength is definitely returning and I'm exercisiing regularly with zumba and my step platform. The zumba helps my upper body & cardio and the step platform strengthens my legs etc. Still feel a few "pings" as my abdominal muscles etc., re-adjust and relax. GYN says I have very strong abdominal muscles so I want to keep them that way :-) I have managed to lose 11 pounds so I want to keep that firmed up and not flabby. My goal is to lose 10 more, but I know I'm at a cross roads right now. My body likes weighing what it is at, so I'll have to work to get it over that "hump" to form a new "normal". Abby-girl is maturing, she'll be 3 in December and it seems like only yesterday we brought that puppy home :-) She's defintely a mommy's girl though, but that's probably because she's with me so much more than MrWE2. We enjoyed our Holloween at the Moose Club, and shocked to beat the band that we took 1st place in costume :-) Also enjoyed costuming up for the "Who Did It" mystery tour at the historic Bothwell Lodge...even if it did nearly do me in because I was silly enough to wear heels when the other ladies wore flats :-( Didn't make that mistake at the costume party! We're back to dancing nearly every weekend and it feels really good. We're not on the floor every dance (never were) but we're getting back to where we used to be without huffing and puffing in misery. I've finally reached the point where all my hair color is natural. I've had to adjust to that :-) It's a lot cheaper I can tell you that! I cut MrWE2's hair so we save a few dollars every month there and now I'm letting mine pretty much grow out until I decide just what I want to do with it. It's so easy to scrunch up on the top of my head with a claw clip that I'm very relunctant to get it cut in layers again. Well I know somebody else is wanting to check out his favorite blogs so I'd better relinquish this pc. I don't use the notebook much because the keyboard is so little :-( Blessings to all!

• 3 weeks later...

It's been very busy for us this past eight days. Made so much progress at the Roost that MrWE2 still walks into the enclosed porch and gets this "startled" look on his face that says "I can't believe I've got a warm place to work!" LOL Stick our heads in the wood storage shed and we both say "So much more room since the shelves were built and all the set back things are up off the floor. Nice to see the old Tioga 3-burner stove sitting, it's little stainless steel sink, microwave etc., all setting to the back of the shed :-) The old refrigerator is now GONE from the kitchen!!!! Took it to the re-cyclers today with all the rest of the iron & aluminum. Our next project at the Roost will be to start eliminating items that have been stacked in the corner of the kitchen there & in the livingroom there. Made some room here in this enclosed porch for our treadmill so it will be used instead of sitting it the middle of the Roost's livingroom :-( We both "attacked" the pantry here and again...can't believe how much more room we've got :-) Ashamed to admit how quickly we can "sling" or "drop" stuff thinking we'll get it put away ... :-( Got mother's chores done today while MrWE2 was loading the excess metals from there. Then met a girl friend so she could return an older Galloping Gourmet snack dehydrator and a food saver we had given to her. She said she just doesn't use them in her senior housing apartment and wanted us to have them to put them to use. Absolutely NO offense taken :-) Finished crocheting the poncho a couple of days ago, got it stretched & dried and now will add the "baubles" that I want to put on it...for a Christmas gift for a dear girl friend. Still have to figure out a gift for him. I'd love to make a neck scarf for him but I'm not sure he'd wear it...perhaps I'll do it anyway :-) Opened a package of the sliced corned beef that we bought at the Plain People's meat sale and it was WONDERFUL! Put it on some slices of this morning's home made bread with pepper jack cheese, added some Thousand Island dressing, then buttered the sides and browned it a skillet. YUM! So now MrWE2 is napping in his recliner, Abby-girl is napping on her blanky near him and I'm catching up on Daily Diary :-) Sorta gonna miss camping in the woods this Thanksgiving but I just don't feel like trying to cook & clean in the travel trailer with no running water (we dry camp unless we go south where it's warmer...and $$$ won't let us do that this year) and having to use milk jugs to keep our water in, inside the shower. It would be even more difficult in Miss B if it's cold and I can't cook outside. It's been a lot colder, sooner this year for our area so that's the main reason we've decided to not go camping this year. Our freezers are stocked for a long, long time. Our pantry here is well stocked. The pantry at the Roost is solid. Guess we'll probably head for the Roost tomorrow and get something done there and then spend Wednesday and Thursday doing NOTHING that's even related to work :-) Have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday everybody and since we'll be home I'll enjoy checking in here! LOL

• 1 month later...

Boy have we been having some beautiful weather! And we've been taking advantage of every day of it :-) Mother's home from the hospital after nearly losing her. Everyone thought it was the "usual" COPD but it was actually congestive heart disease/failure. They sent her home today (PTL that son lives upstairs and is there to watch over her) but she'll have to return Monday for the cariologist to dilate the stent that was put in nearly 30 years ago. She's on a fluid and salt restricted diet and I'm sure will have some other things she'll need to address. She's in her mid 80's but she's got quite a bit of "stuff" to her! LOL We had lunch with my cousin and her husband last week and it was so nice. Ended up sitting in the restaurant for nearly 4 hours! We asked the owner if we were a bother and were assured we were not. Also went dancing at the Moose and also enjoy that. I'm gathering my strength pretty steadily, but dancing seems to be a bit slower in progress. I guess because it's really VERY energetic, even if it is a waltz or a 2-step. We only cha-cha-cha or swing once a night! That's about all I can handle right now! LOL Took "Miss B" out for a short tour also last week just to get rid of some "hitch itch". Today was another beautiful day so we finished the toil and poly on the remaining wall at the Roost, picked up some sound reducing insulation to put between the kitchen and bathroom and enough sheetrock to finish the kitchen and dinette area....that had us hauling in 20+ sheets of rock! Whew! Also got one of the phone lines run under the house and up through the floor to the new "hub" that will manage our land-lines. Changed the bed clothes tonight...that always feel soooo good after our showers! Some other projects we've been up to? Got the snow fence up for Abby-girl and she loves romping around in it. Also got quite a few items dismantled from the old Tioga...the microwave, the stove and several other things. We've still got the frig, the water heater tank etc., the black, gray & white water tanks, the toilet & vanity, and that's not even counting the overhead a/c, the furnace and the Onan generator. Will make more $$$ off selling those parts if we decide not use them in a cabin. We're thinking we'll just stick tight at the Roost and take the money when we sell this place, and do some travelling instead of spending it on buying land & building a cabin etc. At our ages, we'll enjoy the travelling more than working our tails off trying to build something that will keep us house-bound :-( We're in a pretty good area at the Roost and will just deal with life as it comes at us. We've got some precious friends that we want to spend time with and not be so busy always building or remodeling something. Not to mention being available to assist them in some of their projects if they need it. Our pastor friend is sort of on hold right now, you know how taxes and insurance takes it's gator bite at us all :-( He's wanting MrWE2 to re-build the church platform and repair the baptistry. He's already put in the new bathroom for him and done a lot of work on the house behind the church, that they use for Bible studies etc. We've started our new year out not with resolutions about things we "don't have" or "don't want" and have focused on people and things that we are thankful for. The people who have criticized, murmured behind our backs, condemned or accused are being set aside as "experiences" that taught us life lessons :-) Son really "got took" last week and it's so hard for us to just remain silent. He had a vehicle that was a "muscle" vehicle and he's put thousands of dollars and work into it for several years...some yahoos drove up from Arkansas with a muscle car with a fancy paint job, and they traded straight across. Guess what? The stupid engine in the car has never been started and none of the electrical is wired, the fan blade is the wrong one for the radiator, and you can't imagine! They told son "all the parts are in the car and/or trunk. He believed them! So now they're laughting their butts off in Arkansas with a $10,000 vehicle and he's got a body with a bunch of parts that don't even belong to the car :-( This internet crap is for the birds sometimes. People are "trolls" out there looking for somebody's back they can hitch a ride on ... so beware friends. Often things are NOT as they seem :-( It's just sickening to see him suffer so because of his naitivity. I know we've learned some things this past year and you can bet your sweet booty we won't be quite so vulnerable next time. I guess that's one of the reasons I enjoy MrsS so much. There are some really nice and true people here...hugs to each of you! Guess I've babbled on long enough. Just hadn't posted in Daily Diary for some time and thought I'd come visit! LOL

• 2 months later...

Still sorting out all of mother's things. We met little brother at 8:30 this morning so medical could pick up the oxygen tanks, nebulizer etc., and sis got there about 10:30. Worked all day except a short lunch (provided by friends of MrWE2 and myself) and knocked off about 3:30 so LB (little brother) could drive home (he lives out of town). MrWE2 and I went back after supper so I could wash storage containers and some of the kitchen counter and take more stuff to the street for trash pickup. Since it's our property we feel the cleaning is up to us, just as we would for any renter. We'll be at it again at 10:00 in the morning. LF only has this week from his job so we're trying to let him take care of all the biz end since he successor trustee, shredding all documents etc., while the rest of us sort & pitch or ...? Each of us able to take or give the items we want, and the rest being prepared for sale. Youngest brother (successor trustee) had the phone and internet turned off today, so son upstairs is probably having a hissy since he had jumped his pc from hers and also had a cable box junctioned into hers. It's a really "messy" thing with him, but out bottom lines is "we're not supportiing you the rest of your life and you need to start preparing for another place to live because in 6 months or a year we're selling this place". He's been really nasty since mom's death (and was before...but I just didn't know it) so we feel no sympathy for his lake of funds. He's got 2 cars, one of which doesn't run, two dogs, his bed, his tv & computer, his recliner and mechanics tools...everything else in that apartment (including all the dishware, dinner ware...everything) belongs to us...and he can't even get the utilities into his name (probably) so we'll have to leave them in our name and him pay us. Told him "you can call us slum lords if you'd like...but we're not doing another thing to that apartment etc., because we're selling the whole property". When a child is 47 years old it's time they learned some hard lessons about mistreating parents and other people. MrWE2 and myself have thrown down the rope and we're not playing tug-of-war any more. Sounding off! :-)

Edited by The WE2's

Another long working day, but making so much progress. Siblings are wonderful! We laugh and tease each other throughout the day. Our favorite saying is "if you touch it, it's yours"...so we get to decide if we sell, keep or toss :-) Son is beside himself right now...can't get the car he "inherited" because it won't pass inspection with the power steering messed up...he can't get the utilities turned on in his name because he's left them holding the bag so many times. He has no internet now, and no cable tv. Wonder what he thinks about his "stingy bi..." mother now? When sis left, she called and said they weren't home 10 minutes until he pulled up and told them the car wouldn't pass inspection (we told him it wouldn't but he said it would...but who are we?). Guess he thought he's sucker up to them and they help. They suggested he take to a mechanic. He really thought he was cutting a fat hog but now he's in a mess. I told MrWE2 "if he wants us to put the utilities in our name, perhaps he can sign the title of his newly acquired car over to us with a lien on it". Or perhaps he can go get a car title loan...he's done that before. He owes just about everybody he knows...I guess he sort of has the mentality of "I'd rather die owing you than beat you out of it". Anyway...there's no sympathy from here.

Sounds like son really did it to himself this time. Our past always catches up with us sooner or later. I'm glad you and your siblings are able to help each other through this very stressful time. A little laughter can sure lighten the load and ease the tension! Seriously, I don't know how people with no sense of humor navigate this world. :hug3:

Put in another 8 hour day, and we're tuckered out! Son has now started telling family members that he was born out of wedlock and that his dad had to marry me. He was born 14 months after we married :-) Guess he's not too good at higher level math. Anyway...he really blew it today. Called sister out on the front porch and said "I need to talk to you, away from that .....". She came, got me, sent me to the truck, gathered MrWE2 to her side and really told him off. She told him "if you were born out of wedlock, then I guess that makes you a bas.... doesn't it?" He just stood there with his mouth hanging open while she truly unloaded all her frustrations with him and told him she never wanted another thing to do with him, and that he didn't understand our family. We may bicker with each other, but if you come against one of us, you come against us all...and she told him she wasn't ever going to listen to any of his "spew" anymore, and that he needed to take his garbage to God...and find forgiveness. I'm glad I stayed in the truck but I could hear her ... and I'm sure the neighbors heard her too :-) MrWE2 was there "just in case" this hateful cesspool tried to be aggressive to my sis. He told me "this old fart may not be a fighter but I can sure bend a piece of metal around somebody's head if I need to." I told him and my sis..."he keeps digging his hole, and nobody's there to take the shovel from him." Anyway...he's found some other suckers to help him with the deposits etc., so the utilities will be in his name. We fully expect him to pull something since the whole house is on the same circuit. We'll be sending him a certified letter before too long stating in writing what his rent is, how it's to be paid and what privileges (parking, dogs, friends etc.) he will have on our property. We took our big propane grill, our compost etc., and the garden cart into the garage and pulled the opener's circuit off & screwed 2x4's across the one side door (he had a key at one time, and an opener). Funny, he asked MrWE2 "is something wrong with the garage doors?" MrWE2 said "no, I just pulled the juice to the overhead and screwed the side door shut". Nothing more was said.

Tomorrow at 2:00 we'll say our final thoughts to family and friends at the grave site. I'll heal. I always have. I have friends, family, Abby-girl and MrWE2...:-)

Took Abby to the dog park this afternoon (like we usually do) and there was an orange laminated sign on the fence from the city saying that due to an outbreak of canine influenza in the midwest, all owners should limit their pet's contact with other dogs. We called the vet and she said there had not been any reported cases in our state yet and that it was probably just a CYA by the city at this point. She said there's no vaccine for this. That it's highly contagious, and that when a dog develops symptoms, to come immediately to the vet for care. So, we won't be taking any chances, we won't be taking our Abby-girl there anymore and we won't allow her to fun in the yard where son lets his dogs run since they only have rabies shots. Guess we'll just take her for long walks and play lots of frisbee.

Your sis beat me to the "bas..." punch line. I just hope he doesn't tear up your house. Even if you sued him there is no way could he pay for the repairs.

I haven't heard about the dog flu. The lady at the dog site said the three worse places to take your dog are; the dog park, shopping at pet stores and the vet. Of course that's easy for her to say since she has 12 fenced in acres and lots of doggy playmates and her vet often comes to her.

I've mentioned earlier, Grrr decided to take off for a day, last month. He came home and developed a cough. I took him to the vet and they gave him a heavy antibiotic and cough meds. Then, we got sick. Little brat gave us the crud. After hearing we got it from the dog, the doctor prescribed strong antibiotics - 500mg 3x's a day. Whatever "it" is, it is contagious to humans too.

Wow Annarchy! I do remember you saying he ran away. Gees, he wasn't gone that long either.

This is probably totally unrelated but some of the new puppies had a cough for about 3 days. Now 2 of the regular volunteers have terrible coughs. Makes ya wonder.

The vet told us that this canine influenza is caught by "nose to nose" contact between dogs. We're wondering if it's safe to take Abby to the park if there are no other pets there. She absolutely adores playing frisbee with her human daddy :-) and we're many miles from the Roost where we can take her to a state park's special use area (no camping so dogs are seldom in that area). From what MrWE2 researched last night, it's almost an epidemic in Chicago...and of course...was carried here from another country :-(

Koa doesn't have any personal contact but lots of dogs go along our road....so I'm interested in the same contagious questions, WE2.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/canine/index.htm

This says contaminated objects can pass things too. BUT.... is this site talking about the current one a different strain of canine flu? :shrug:

Other sites:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/news/ct-ptb-dog-flu-st-0421-20150420-story.html

Wajvoda spoke to Katz last week regarding the virus and what she can do to prevent her clients from getting sick. Fortunately, the virus isn't hearty and can easily be destroyed but can live for up to 24 hours in clothing.

"Thankfully, it's not passed in fecal matter or urine, so really it's about hygiene, I believe," Wajvoda, of Highland, said. "I have five dogs of my own, and I had a grooming appointment this weekend. I thought about canceling it at first, but it was fine."

But she's still not recommending public places for dogs to frolic, either.

MtRider Hmmm.....

We're still debating the issue between us :-( Her health is TOTALLY our responsibility, and as much as she loves to play frisbee it just may not be healthy for her to play it at the dog park. We may have to enlarge her run space at the Roost. Its about 14x30 so it's not totally out of the questions to play with her in there.

We took Abby-girl to the dog park because there were no dogs anywhere around. Apparently the sign really spooked some people so they're staying away. If we pull up and there's owners there, we'll wait our turn.

Things are at a standstill both at the Roost and at the Homestead right now. I had a followup eye appt. for contact lenses (my new glasses aren't in yet) and for MrWE2 to pick up his new glasses. He got a call to do some work tomorrow and that's a PTL.

Concerning that awful dog flu that is in and around Chicago so bad right now, the vet in Mass. stressed that that virus is respiratory and not intestinal. Just thought I'd mention that in case anyone's dog came down with diarrhea or vomiting...it most likely isn't that strain. I know if my dog got sick right now I'd probably be in a panic. If I had a dog. :buttercup:

Have taken a sort of "sabbatical" from the homestead project. We're just feeding the mice to death :-( Son is still trying to find somebody to help him get the utilities straightened out. He's beat so many people out of their money that they're wanting huge deposits and delinquent amounts paid. Can't blame them. The welfare project is trying to work with the utility companies to "bundle" his delinquent accounts and make him pay a flat rate gas (or light or water) until it's paid, and then they'll reduce it down to useage. He's still trying to work out something on deposits. Got little brother (successor trustee) wanting them out of mother's name asap, and son having trouble getting them into his...and they're trying to squeeze us in the middle. I told MrWE2 "we have absolutely NO responsibility to provide utilities for a tenant". Guess we'll have to just ride this one out :-(

Got most of laundry done today, washed up several kitchen items from the homestead and baked a small batch of oatmeal raisin cookies. I knew better than to cook a full recipe because we wouldn't be able to stay out of them :feedme:

Probably going to hit the sack early tonight. Had a very restless night and didn't get much sleep. Got up about 2 and fixed some chammomile tea and read for about an hour. Finally dozed off about 4 and back up at 6, so called it quits and got up. Just remembering things about mother...and the good times we shared with her.

Edited: I guess it's okay to be sleepless if you're remember happy things?

Edited by The WE2's