MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

downs and ups

I got my middle-aged dog put down today. She's always been cranky and snappish, but she's been getting worse over time. When she snapped at me and took my glasses off my face, DH said I must have surprised her. Said the same when she just got a mouthful of my hair. When she menaced a four-year-old kid, DH insisted the kid must have provoked her. On Saturday evening she snatched another mouthful of my hair when I was adding food to her bowl, and on Sunday afternoon she attacked my nineteen-year-old cat. I distracted her with a towel, luckily, and the old cat staggered to safety. But this was just too much. I told the vet this was my year for losing them.

The black Australorp hens have both gone broody, so I ordered a new batch of bantam hatching eggs, which arrived today. (The first batch of hatching eggs didn't do well in my home-made incubator.) A friend wants the rest of the old hens, even knowing they're well past their prime as layers. She can have them as soon as she can get her son to put up an enclosure for them.

The cheese powder from Firehouse Pantry arrived today as well. A one-pound bag fills four half-pint jars. The orange version smells like Cheetos. The white doesn't. I don't know if this is a case of expectations affecting senses or a real scent. A one-pound bag of chipped dried tomatoes fills a quart jar with enough left over to mostly fill a half-pint jar. I bet the tomato would have all fit in the quart jar if I'd packed it harder, but this is also good--I wanted a little off to the side for experiments.

Over the next two paychecks, I'd like to get the ingredients to do some of the 52 Jar meals from Chef Tess. Has anyone done these? Any suggestions?

In case anyone's interested in writing a mystery, St. Martin's Press has opened a bunch of contests. http://us.macmillan.com/Content.aspx?publisher=minotaurbooks&id=4933 I'm playing with some ideas for a cozy mystery.

I am so sorry to that had to happen with your dog, the right decision is not always the easiest, you did what you had to do :hug3:

The jar meals sound interesting, I am going to check them out further, just browsing, her breakfast one with eggs, sausage, etc seems really appealing, bookmarked her blog site.

Edited by lumabean

I got my middle-aged dog put down today. She's always been cranky and snappish, but she's been getting worse over time. When she snapped at me and took my glasses off my face, DH said I must have surprised her. Said the same when she just got a mouthful of my hair. When she menaced a four-year-old kid, DH insisted the kid must have provoked her. On Saturday evening she snatched another mouthful of my hair when I was adding food to her bowl, and on Sunday afternoon she attacked my nineteen-year-old cat. I distracted her with a towel, luckily, and the old cat staggered to safety. But this was just too much. I told the vet this was my year for losing them.

The black Australorp hens have both gone broody, so I ordered a new batch of bantam hatching eggs, which arrived today. (The first batch of hatching eggs didn't do well in my home-made incubator.) A friend wants the rest of the old hens, even knowing they're well past their prime as layers. She can have them as soon as she can get her son to put up an enclosure for them.

The cheese powder from Firehouse Pantry arrived today as well. A one-pound bag fills four half-pint jars. The orange version smells like Cheetos. The white doesn't. I don't know if this is a case of expectations affecting senses or a real scent. A one-pound bag of chipped dried tomatoes fills a quart jar with enough left over to mostly fill a half-pint jar. I bet the tomato would have all fit in the quart jar if I'd packed it harder, but this is also good--I wanted a little off to the side for experiments.

Over the next two paychecks, I'd like to get the ingredients to do some of the 52 Jar meals from Chef Tess. Has anyone done these? Any suggestions?

In case anyone's interested in writing a mystery, St. Martin's Press has opened a bunch of contests. http://us.macmillan....urbooks&id=4933 I'm playing with some ideas for a cozy mystery.

Having to say goodbye to a family dog is VERY hard! I've had to do it twice in my life with my late husband, and vowed NO MORE PETS! Current "Mountain Man" also had to do it and said no more dogs! Well...when we started preparing for full time RVing we felt we needed an "alert" dog...so...we adopted our Abby. She's been a handful for these 2 empty nesters, but the puppy trainers told us "she needed you two"...meaning she probably would have ended up in a shelter at best, since she's so strong physically and in attitude. Can you feel the hug I'm sending your way!? Hurry...catch it!!! As for the cheeses...we bought the canned cheese and are extremely satisfied with it (as with the canned butter) and will not use it up for every day meals. I've not tried the jar meals, but like you...I plan to give it a whirl. Probably simple stuff at first and then would like to give as gifts. Watched a lady on U-Tube and she made it look really simple. That I need...simple! :hapydancsmil:

Aw Amber. I'm sorry about your dog. I've had to do it too and it hurts! But you have to be safe. :hug3:

I plan to make some of the meals in a jars too. I'm waiting to see how many canning jars and sizes I'll have left over from canning. I also don't want to buy any more ingredients right now. I have too many irons in the fire right now.

Used quart size spaghetti or mayonnaise type jars would probably be good to use for those since you don't have to can the jars. As long as the lids and rings fit. I 'Food Saver' my dry food jars.

I have been 'counting the cost' to see if I can afford to make some. I love Chef Tess, and her jars look so appetizing!

Making choices is....kinda different now, without the DH to add his input. I think you can make wiser choices. I think I would have gone with it when it involved the 4 yr old. I had to watch my last dog....a rescue with lots of 'history'....and weighed more than I did. She was reactive...but always defensively - not offensively. When freaked she'd growl/snap but never came at us. Lay where she was. She'd panic sometimes. Still dangerous but...we learned how to quickly get her calmer. Just once it bordered on offensive agressive....over food. DH shot a pistol into the ground. She RAN into the house and completely dropped all misconduct. :shrug: It worked and it was the only time.

Such a judgement call but...while I love rescuing animals, humans come first. IMO. Do what YOU need to do! Glad you can begin to restock food and other preps! New chicken ladies! :thumbs:

MtRider :grouphug:

Edited by Mt_Rider

It is always sad when you have to put a beloved pet down. It sounds as though it was the right time to do this in order to reduce the risk of someone getting seriously hurt. Things will get better as the pain subsides and only the good memories remain. A big :bighug2: for you in the hopes that ou're feeling better about the situation soon. I am thoroughly amazed that you are able to think about others when you're grieving the loss.Your friend is awfully lucky to be getting your old hens and you will soon have a flock of new fluffy bantam cuties...to help to ease the pain.

BTW- Thanks for the tip about the contest! I'm not sure if I have anything started that would fit the genre, but I might have time to come up with something.