MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Without Warning - Prep Advice Needed

Say you've had this DEAR friend. Say she and her family have always struggled financially. You've talked to her about prepping but she always looks at you with horror and says she can't deal with thinking about it. She has changed some of the way she cooks, but just to save money, she tells you.

Then one day she rushes over to your house. "You have to tell me everything!" she nearly shouts. :blink: Well when the story is pieced together, you find out that she's inherited a tidy sum of money. She actually HAS been aware of the potential need for stocking up ....but she was SO fearful because they didn't have money. Now, however, she wants to catch up QUICKLY in case the HooeyHitsFan...tomorrow! And she wants to do everything you do......... :0327: She's pathetically grateful that she has you to turn to cuz 'you know all this survival stuff!'

What do you tell her FIRST?

And then?.............keep going. Cover all the basics that you'd want a dear friend to have, now that she can afford it.

This is an exercise in PRIORITIES. Keep in mind which items that might become out of stock or backordered....cuz in THIS scenario, life could 'go south' at any moment!

MtRider [....and any resemblance to anyone's InRealLife Dear Friend/Relative, is totally coincidental :whistling: ]

Six month supply of food (stuff they eat everyday, including buying a chest freezer if necessary)

Cash for a minimum of six months of expenses

If any is left, pay down debt

Water, Food, Shelter and a way of keeping it safe. She may be in a hurry but start her gently. YOU don't want to have the finger pointed at you in 2 years time when she has 4 cans of de-hydrated yuck and freeze dried eeeeww to force on her nearest and dearest.

I'd suggest doing a big order from Walton Feed and going up to Idaho with a round trip trailer rental to get it if she is close enough. (Unless someone has a livestock trailer she could borrow.) Otherwise, try to get the order on the next pool truck. They will lock in the price but no guarantee it is available at time of loading the truck.

I'd tell her to get wheat, oats, corn, rice (might be cheaper at sams'), beans, dried potatoes, all in buckets prepacked. Then tell her to get the #10 cans of dried fruits and veggies. Tell her to get the country living grain mill.

If she doesn't have a standard wood burning stove, she needs to do that asap.

If there is enough money, some solar panels, batteries, inverter, charge controller and super efficient lights. Also where does her water come from? She needs to address a solar or wind well pump or good hand pump.

If she doesn't can, she needs to get an All American and a slew of jars with lots of extra lids and start canning meat. Does she hunt? Can she raise a few batches of broilers to can?

If, after she does all the above, she has funds for it, a greenhouse would be a fine thing to have. I'd want an earth sheltered one, myself.

It depends on where she lives but if it was a friend who lived near to me, and I'm in N.Ontario where it gets cold in the winter, then I'd suggest that she get herself a cook-woodstove and a supply of wood first off so that she can keep her family warm and be able to cook on it too. A bbq/campstove and fuel would also be helpful as well as cast iron cookware to cook with and spatula's, hot pads, etc. that is suitable for hot woodstoves and hot cookware.

I'm not sure of details, if this friend lives in the town or out in the country like we do, or if she has a supply of water nearby. We do but its just a bit too far away for us and would have to go on private cottager's property for the lake so I'd suggest that she have some form of water stored regardless of where she lived or even if the lake was nearby since it could be frozen over or been contaminated. Does she live in the country and have a pond or could have one dug? Can she put up water barrels to collect rain water? But also she needs to have a collection of water on hand and a way to filter it (Berkey) . Then does she have a source of lighting? Candles and holders..flashlights, kerosene lamps and fuel. Everyone should have these on hand for power outage anyway.

I would also suggest having plenty of garbage bags, bleach, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, first aid kit fully stocked and medicines esp antibiotics/antibiotic cream; shovel and tools, plenty of buckets as well as one that can be a 'honey pot' or do-funny as my mother and grandparents called the underbed pan during the Depression years. I would also encourage homeopathic/herbal medicines and to gain knowledge of their use by having plenty of these books on hand for reference.

If she has a place for a garden in the future, to buy up some seeds and gardening tools. Does she can and want to have mason jars on hand. Perhaps she needs to go over the family's clothing to see what might be needed for larger clothing, coats and boots for growing children or wear and tear. Does she have lots of blankets?

I would recommend to her that she gain knowledge about how to live without electricity, cooking with beans and experimenting with these types of foods now so she knows how to cook them and if her family likes them; how to bake your own bread, to learn to sew and do knitting, crocheting, etc AND teach her children to do this as well so she can delegate jobs in the future. She can't do it all. I'd suggest that she should have some books on hand to refer to for this knowledge and survival information.

If she has children at home, I'd have some homeschooling/educational/reference books in case she has to take over this herself. Also lots of games and books of every sort for her family to entertain themselves--perhaps a book of how to play many different types of card games. Perhaps musical instruments...just depends on what the family's interests are. Songbooks with notes and words that they can refer to so that they can sing on their own with music they enjoy. Nothing worse than humming a tune and not knowing all the words! Arts and craft materials so the family can make things and pass the time and maybe they could trade/sell their crafts in the future...lots of wool/yarn and embroidery floss? Whittling tools? Speaking of tools, make sure they have an axe, hammer, etc.

Can they store some gas on hand for their vehicle? The men (or women) learn some car maintenance if they don't already know. I'd suggest that they all have their own bicycles as well for transportation. If they're in the country, do they have room (or time/desire) for animals that may help them in the future for food or milk.

I'd also never be without a dog or two myself for protection and security---..and a few cats for mice patrol.

I won't go into food storage since I'm sure that there will be lots of advice on that in this thread. That is all I can think of for now.

Even if she stocks up it sounds like she could use some tips on spending this new money wisely or not spending it at all. One internet sight that helped me was the dollar stretcher.com

I learned all about the importance of saving and spending wisely.

tell her to STOP and think!

Does she even have a place to put it all?

Does she know HOW to store it so it doesn't go bad?

Does she even know what to do with what she buys?

Will the family eat what they are getting if needed?

That is what I would tell her FIRST!

so many people bought all kinds of things back in the Y2K days but then had no idea how to store, use or even what is was?

Then as the months and years when on it all went bad from not stored right or even put in safe, dry places.

A LOT of money was spent that could have gone to other things needed.

Haveing it ALL will not make you survive................. KNOWING what to do with it will!

:AmishMichaelstraw:

As a newbie, I can relate more on the side of the new prepper as opposed to the one that would be giving the advice -- so from that perspective, what I'd suggest is seeing truly where she's at -- as in what skills does she have, what is realistically within her abilities. If she's anything like me, i'd say get a good store of foods that she uses now -- which if the focus is for a potential "tomorrow" event, would be store-bought canned goods and such (cleaning aides, toilet paper, water, dried goods, etc) -- enough of those to give her a buffer zone while she learns to can and dehydrate, etc. That way she can be "ready" to a degree for an impending crisis asap and have time to learn the long term skills of home preserving and other skills she will need.

I'd also look to see if she's in a safe area or if she will need to relocate (if there's enough money). Is her home suitable for long term sheltering in place or will she need to leave in things get bad. This was a big eye opener for me, I can stockpile a boatload of stuff but I will need to move it from my tiny 'target for baddies' apartment on the main highway. So, my focus is on dehydrating since it's easier to move, takes up less space, and am looking to store cases of cans and jugs of water at my mother's house. Those are things I'd encourage her to look at, why spend all that windfall on stuff that she'd have to leave behind if she had to leave.

Safety. I learned here on Mrs. S. the importance of safety and the risks that will inevitably face us all if things go bad -- I'd see if her home was secure, means to protect what she does store up on.

I like this thread. :thumbs:

lumabean, you are right, this site has a plethora of excellent information.

I agree with AH, tell her to 'stop', take a good look around at what she has and does not have, her knowledge and skills. Make notes and ask her to scrutinize the list with you, an experienced prepper.

Food, what she has in stock, utensils, cooking tools, and storage, security and safety, and future goals.

First, focus on short term supplies. 1 week - 2 months.

Then, work on the long term.

Being a prepper and using what you store, is an acquired life style. If this Dear Friend is, say a fancy secretary who is used to the weekly salon visits, the maid, and such, she will not be prepared to grind her own flour, make things from scratch, let alone know how to cook anything that has not come prepared in a box.