MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

The Gathering...it's started!

Darlene

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sooo jealous....and frustrated. DH has a pretty bad case of his annual bronchitis. I thought he would be better by now since he went to the DR. and had some shots on Tuesday. He is just not well enough yet to enjoy himself or travel very far.

I hope ya'll have a great time. The weather is perfect!

(((momo))) I'm so sorry to hear about hubby...I hope he feels better soon. We sure will miss you being able to come though.

Melissa, you take care of your knee and hopefully you'll be able to join us next time!

I wanted to send more dishcloths, but I didn't have time to get to the post office because of the babysitting, and didn't have the $$ to send it overnight. Sorry. :sEm_blush:

I wanted to "participate" in some small way. Oh well... maybe next time. :shakinghead:

HAVE FUN!!!

(And if you hear something rustling in the woods - DON'T SHOOT!!!!) :hidingsmile:

:darth duck: (password reset request came back to T's account, hope Cat can fix me up so I can be myself again lol)

Home from Georgia, so good to see old friends again. And what a wonderful time was had by all.

Going to unpack, then want to write up complete critique how well prepared for long distance travel. Feel like did excellent in some areas but missed some of the basics. For example failure to bring windsheild mount for GPS results in said device sliding off the dash in the middle of Nashville's 5 o'clock rush hour traffic. This in turn resulted in my having drag it back by the cord and hit reset buttons while traveling 70 mph :ashamed0002: All in all smooth, uneventful, and relaxed travel. Except for first time real uneasiness crossing those huge river bridges. Couldn't help but think about what would happen if New Madrid blew while on one on those. Crossed the Mississippi, Ohio, and Tennessee both ways. Glad to get the last bridge behind me.

Sure enjoyed meeting Ma Steel and her bunch, Mt. Rider, Lovinit and Mr. Lovinit. All wonderful people, enjoyed the time with them so much. Gunnie did great job as firearm instructor, extremely knowedable and patient. Was able to determine my use of non trigger fingers was causing barrel to veer to the side. Since Darlene's bee hives were located in general vicinity of shooting range, I may have mentioned to her next time she spun out honey... if any lead showed up it was NOT done by me :whistling:

On another note or perhaps not, if Wormie didn't get bribed off he may be reporting on who always showed up for breakfast wearing snoopy pajamas. :behindsofa:

Prayers going out for safe travel those who will be traveling home in next day or two. Will post more later after rested a bit.

Granny

We made it home a little after 7 p.m. (After stopping for a pizza). Car is unloaded into house, but still need to put everything away. Darlene and her children opened their heart and their home to us all! Today, she helped Stephanie and myself to make a sugar scrub and a body cream. So exciting! Stephanie showed us how to crochet nylon scrubbies. And how to do Tunesian ? Crochet. Gun plumber is a patient and very knowledgeable teacher! Thank you! What joy to reconnect with Mt_Rider, Wormmie and granny, and meet in person Ma Steele and her wonderful father, daughter and grandson, and loveinit and her husband. What a great time! We have such wonderful and caring people on this site. What an honor and joy to meet them!

Jesse and I have been sitting at a dead stop on I20 (about 45 minutes from home) for a solid hour. Five ambulances and multiplie other emergency vehicles have passed us in the emergency lanes. Thankfully, we had just gassed up and have water with us. However, there is no potty available. :groooansmileyf:

Kind of like a final exam after being at a MrsSurvival gathering. People have started getting out of their cars and wandering around in the dark, curious to see what is happening. Jesse and I are sitting tight. Sure has me thinking about one of our 'scenarios' we come up with some times.

Will report in later. Love to all. Wonderful gathering! :bighug2:

Oh yes! We talked about situational awareness at the Gathering, and dh and I found ourselves UNAWARE yesterday afternoon while arriving back to the hotel. One turn away, probably only a block or so to go, and the street we needed and most others going the direction we needed were closed for a "Gay Pride Parade". It was a bit frightening, because we were in heavy traffic and not able to ask of figure out what the heck was going on around us.

We managed to circle the landmarks that we had picked out on Wed. night, and came up to a parking lot directly behind our hotel. Praise the Lord for that one. We didn't have any idea we were that close until we parked and got out to see what was going on.

In addition to all the wonderful food had at Darleen's home, we have now experienced collard greens, corn grits, and OH MY HEAVEN - Fried Cheese Cake! I will surely have one last blast at that before leaving.

The gathering was amazing, and as stated by all the others, it was so wonderful to meet everyone in person. I'm anxious to know how Mr. Dale made out with his headaches, how KOA (and her siblings) and Dawn are doing.

I was intimidated by the guns at first, realizing I wasn't behind a computer screen but rather behind a REAL gun thinking about Real consequences. Participants at the Gathering gently talked me through my feelings, and I was able to go back and shoot some mean looking holes in the target. I'm proud of myself.

We visited the Aquarium, and the Coke a Cola Center today, and will be leaving for home tomorrow.

Thank you so much for a wonderful time in Georgia.

thats great lovinit. I started out with BB guns in the desert when I camped and dad flew his gyrocopter once a month. Switching upwards in caliber over the years was good. My ex was alot like GP, and its been a lot of years. I could use a good refresher and find something suitable for pistols again were I to have any, it will be different than it was in my 30's because of grip and weight issues now. I like rifles. But am very traditional, because it works well and I dont believe in spraying out bullets if I dont have to so a lever action 30 30 youth marlin would be fine for most of my purposes in this area and not too heavy like the 308 I used to shoot.

If you consider some particular items in the future, if you have no one to help you, find out from GP or some of the others by posting in 2nd Amendment and then get details and see what works for you and if its a steady operating type, of course any gunshop owner will know all that and well these days, what he has in his shop is about it unless you got lucky, if you choose to do that.

I also like archery but its only short distance stuff and sort of bulky, lol, but I love primitive weapons. I am glad you learned and shot well. Having a good time like that with people who can show you safely how it's done is great for any firsttimer. You sound like nobody better mess with you now, lol.

yah, got a lesson in people when it came to situational awareness in a big city about a week ago, lol. I'm not worried about gay parades though, it's the ones in the cars waiting to go on driving that I worry about or pedestrians depending on attitude on that street.

Still at Darlenes On iPod so brief! Koa able to come home today!!! :) but still ill. Mess to squirt in mouth and subQ fluid 'cocktail'. Next most affected pup same mess. All on some. BUT all SO much improved today. :) :) :)

Now for news-- I'm delaying my return to CO. Cuz with special care for Koa/siblings and Dawn imminent for birthing....Darlene decided to kidnap me. Vet estimated Koa ready to fly in 5 - 10 days. Costs more to ship her alone. Costs more to change my return flight. :shrug: So... I think I'll stick around longer and be dog assistant. Already experienced enough to wear rainwear when giving all pups their icky meds. It's MESSY.

GP got to airport today so I'm the last. Thankful Koa is recovering. Only God knows why this odd turn of events is occurring.

MtRider. ( typing on iPod makes mr crazy. )

It's 12:03 a.m., and I should probably be in bed, but I figured I'd share MY side of Gathering. (As I'm on my computer, I hear Mt. Rider tap-tapping away her response on her little Ipod. :) )

Wormie got here on Monday and didn't see me in the daylight until Wednesday, haha. It was decided on the first night that he was here that a haircut was in order. Then, on Tuesday, MomM and her husband arrived, bringing many yummy goodies. Half of the frosted dark chocolate brownies were gone by the time I got home on Wednesday! Wednesday night, GP got here. Thursday, when I came home, Lovinit and her husband were here. We all gorged ourselves on homemade chili. Ma&Pa Steele arrived after dinner, and after I had gone to bed, Granny arrived. I missed out on Friday's day antics (whatever they were.... ;) ) for school, but when I came home Friday afternoon, Jessie and Stephanie were here. The gravel guy left a huge pile of gravel in the middle of the driveway, so GP happily hopped in the neighbor's BobCat and put all the gravel where it was supposed to be, while Mr. Mom M, Jessie, and my brother Jason raked the gravel out. In the process of bringing the gravel into the pen where it was supposed to go, our two Nubian does got out. Mt. Rider and I had to chase them away from the blueberry bushes several times, and I ended up goat sitting our free range ruminants for about an hour (maybe even more!). Jessie and I fed the animals that night. That night we had homemade baked Ziti with fresh cheese, bread, and butter. Saturday morning Ma&Pa Steele and family unfortunately had to leave, but the time I spent with them was wonderful! :) Saturday was gun day. I listened to GP's gun safety talk, but actually spent my day learning how to Tunesian crochet from Stephanie. She later demonstrated how to use a drop spindle, and we somewhat successfully tried out our Lendrum double treadle spinner. Saturday night, we ate Thanksgiving dinner. It was so good! We had turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, gravy, corn (which apparently isn't a vegetable???), and stuffing. For dessert MomM whipped out more of her amazing baking skills and made pumpkin and chocolate pecan pies, and Stephanie made enough dump cake to feed Gideon's army (I don't think we've even got half of it eaten yet!) Then, mom pulled out her hair scissors and played hairdresser. :) Sunday morning was very relaxed. Everybody was exhausted from the weekend. Wormie and Granny left early. Stephanie's message on Gideon was very good, and we sang Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus (played by Mr. MomM) after the message. Then, Lovinit and husband (hopefully soon-to-be proud owners of a Jersey cow ;) ) left. Stephanie, Jessie, and Mr. and MomM hung out for a little while longer and made sugar scrubs and body butter with mom while GP worked on the garage and Mt. Rider sat in her comfy couch chair eating chocolate pecan pie out of the pie plate ;). Steph, Jessie, and the MomMs left Sunday evening, leaving the house very empty feeling. My brother's best friend and wife came up Sunday afternoon. We finished off the humongous pan of baked ziti that night. GP left today, leaving us no one to sarcasticly banter with anymore. Mt. Rider may or may not leave tomorrow (well, technically today, considering what time it is!).

-All in all, the gathering was a lot of fun, even with the multitude of pig chases that occurred (We "pigged out" in more than one way)! I can't wait until next time. I enjoyed seeing old friends and some new people this year, and I hope to see even more people next time!

-Oh, and of course, we would have a 2.5 magnitude EARTHQUAKE in our area while the Mrs. S gathering was going on. Apparently it sounded like a huge explosion... I slept riiiiight through it. Then, 2 nights later, we had a crazy storm!

-(Excuse any weird grammar I used in this... did I mention that it's now 12:33? lol.)

Remember... Men are waffles and women are spaghetti!

I want to give a big, huge, genuine thank you to everyone for all the work that they did and for all the kindness that they showed to us!

Edited by Madison

glad to hear dog is back from vet - that was scary - and messy - puppies did not like being force-fed meds and (surprisingly) pureed chicken parts - tried to spit all over me and Mt_Rider. And it was tormenting to hear the one (don't ask me to remember their names) crying as I held her and mean 'ole Darlene jabbed her with needles for sub-Q IVs. But those two perked right up. Glad koa is better.

And Madison - I have plenty of sarcasm, so if you're going through withdrawal I can taunt you electronically.

Why can't I ever embed these videos?

Stephanie - How are Jessie's hands? I finished washing out some of those canning jars and discovered I'd put way too much bleach in the rinse water - my hands were all wrinkly most of the day. Sorry.

Edited by Gunplumber

Well, I guess it is time I put my two cents in about the gathering. Once again a wonderful time. Old friends and new friends together is always great. But the weekend was even bigger than that. Many on this site are prepping for the future. However, if you plan on dealing with whatever comes as a loner, I think you may find that road to be just that, lonely. I have now been to three gatherings. Before the first, I was not sure what my wife had got us into. But after attending the first I found real value in the site and the people on it. Now after attending three, I see a great value in the weekend. I have now met many people from various backgrounds. And I have seen them do much more than just get along. I have seen three weekends of people come together as as little communities, working and playing together. GP says that he likes to do role playing, going over possible scenarios of what the future could hold so that he is already prepared to react to situations. Each of these weekends are great opportunities for each of us to see if we are cut out for this community environment. And it was amazing to see how in each weekend, the attendees functioned as teams. There were tasks to perform, such as fixing meals, stacking wood, and other things that community members would have to do to survive. It was amazing to see people that had just met, divide into teams to accomplish these within hours after they arrived. Traditions and customs were shared. We literally learned several ways to pluck a chicken. Of course each person that had a way of doing something and a reason that they felt that was a great way of doing the task. However, when you were assigned a task, you were free to do it your way because what was important to the community was not to waste time determining who had the best way, but just get the task done. In an emergency situation, that is what the community needs. So each weekend has been an exercise to show that in a moments notice, these communities of prepared people can get together to survive. I would be happy to have every one that I have met as a part of such a community. Each person has brought unique gifts and talents that are vital to the community. And that is the practical side and so important. But equally important is the ability for the community to bond so that no one feels left out. On each weekend, in three days the group was a family. We cared for each other and were truly sad to have to part. However, the communications on this site between these members since the weekend are now at a much higher level.

We all owe a big thank you to Darlene for allowing us to descend upon her home and make it ours. Some of the tasks that we did were permanent additions to her farm. She is always so grateful to us for the additions, but please realize as I said earlier, when you are assigned a task, for the most part you have the freedom to do it your way. Well, that may not have been exactly the way Darlene had expected it, but she is always so gracious to accept the results of our efforts with such gratitude. Yet it is because of her we have this rare opportunity to role play community. The experiences gained on these weekends may be the things that determine whether we survive or not.

And thanks to all of you that made the trip. You have all enriched my life. If in the future, we have to apply our emergency preparedness plans, and we have to come together to form a community, please know that you are on my list of people with whom I would love to survive.

Many on this site are prepping for the future. However, if you plan on dealing with whatever comes as a loner, I think you may find that road to be just that, lonely.

^SNIP^

Good post Mr. MomM. I'm finding the older I get more true that statement is becoming to me. As an older single person, I find I need others. Not only for muscle power but for extra eyes and ears.

The gathering sounded wonderful and so educational too. I need to learn about guns and about how to use my spinning wheel. Learning about things like that is one thing but learning from like minded friends...I missed out on so much.