MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Whey?

So--I've been making ALOT of cheese and I love using the whey to make breads/pasta. But there's so much left over, even after giving some to dogs/chickens...and I hate dumping it. :( So I got to thinking the other day that *maybe* I could can it. ?? ALL the milk fats/solids have been removed and with the way I make cheese there is vinegar added which would make it acidic. So could this be WBC'd?

Here is a link to where I asked about acidity: http://www.dairygoatinfo.com/index.php?topic=24574.0 The gentleman (Pav) who answered my question really knows his stuff!! Cheese GENIUS!!

I haven't tried to search to see if ADGA has an opinion on this....cuz who in the WORLD would want to can whey?? (Me--LOL)

So any expert advise on what the ph/acidity of liquid would have to be to safely WBC?

Figured it out (I think-LOL). :) LACTO-FERMENTATION! If whey can be used in canning, then it should be able to be canned. ;)

Oh, and whey isn't actually a dairy product, it is a by-product. :)

Thanks Violet, you made me dig deeper. :bighug2:

I didn't think lacto-fermented foods were ever canned. Wouldn't that kill the culture? Actually, heating/canning any fermented foods stops the culture, doesn't it?

Still, I can see why you would want to can the whey. It's so useful for so many things. We always had plenty of animals to feed it to and plenty of products to use it in so never had left overs but if I were making cheese now I might have with only the two of us home now. It would be interesting to find out if there were a safe way to do it. I know you can buy whey powder now but of course that's a commercially processed product and one not suited for home processing I believe. I have frozen it in the past but it would take up a lot of freezer space needed for other products and if we had no electricity I'd want it readily available. You can also use whey to make another, ricotta type, cheese from the whey but not if you use vinegar in your cheese making.

Necie, this one sure has me going ....hmmmmmmm Good question.

:bighug2:

Edited by Mother