MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mt_Rider

BioLite Camp Stove

:campfire: Take a look at this [relatively new, I think] product.

http://shop.biolitestove.com/BioLite-CampStove_p_15.html

As one of the commentors mentions, if the heat can be converted into powering the fan and additional electricity....what could a heating home wood stove do?? :blink:

Another commentor was sitting pretty in the post-Sandy wasteland with one of these. :thumbs: Good thinking!

I'm particularly attracted to

- less smoke,

- twigs for fuel [LOTS of them tho] which is infinitely renewable and right to hand in my woods.

- two functions at once

MtRider [....hmmmm ]

Thanks for the link! MM is always looking at alternative sources of heat & electric etc. His degree is in power technology and loves this kind of stuff!

:blink: I would have ZERO idea what to do with this device. 'Tech' is NOT my specialty.

http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/article/2012-09/pop-review-biolite-campstove-cooks-your-food-and-charges-your-gadgets

Ran into the above article about BioLite and one commenter noted that his JetBoil stove plus a solar battery charger [JetBoil requires a battery for the 'forge' fan] would be cheaper/lighter than this device. Mebbe so....but no tech USB for phone if that was important in a situation that wasn't just camping but HooeyHitsFan.

MtRider [ :campfire: THIS tech I understand!!! But smoke signals are not efficient communication. :yar: ]

I love the idea of not having to pack fuel! I had been looking at a jetboil after my brother in law showed me his while camping. The major downfall to that for me was the expensive fuel. I like the idea of being able to use fuel that I collect on the trail. Plus, it would be great for short term shtf scenarios. hmmmm... gotta show it to hubby for christmas ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Car-Charger-USB-Adapter-Mp3-Mp4-iPhone-4S-4-3G-3GS-ipod-12-24V-White-/170881366089#vi-content You'd need one of these.

You'd need a cigarette lighter type outlet to wire to a 12 volt dc battery (available at automotive depts.)

You'd need a 12 volt battery. Size dependent on how many modules you are using.

"Heat sources can include wood stoves, stove pipe, oil or alcohol lamp, candle flame, campfire, solar, etc. "

You need a cooling system such as a fan or cold water. (I'm sure I could find instructions somewhere easily enough.) http://www.spacegrant.hawaii.edu/reports/22_FA09-SP10/SLee_FA09.pdf http://www1.pacific.edu/~c-chepko/heatenergy/How_a_Thermoelectric_Generator_Works.html http://www.peltier-info.com/info.html

I'll likely stick with solar since I already have panels, but for your (Mt Rider) situation, the TEG modules might be a good option. You could hook it up to that pellet stove so the heat from the stove would generate electricity to run the blower and auger. Since you are in a cold climate, you cold probably rig up a thermosiphon

to an outside cooling tank with antifreeze in it. The TEG modules work on heat differential so you need to cool one side way down while heating the other to make it work.

All of it does sound exciting....but I'm still way confused. This is not my skill set. :grinning-smiley-044:

Might forward some of this to my brother tho..... :puzzledsmile:

MtRider :pc_coffee:

I love the fact that it would charge cell phones and laptops without the sun. For those in Sandy and Athena areas, this would be a HUGE plus since they haven't seen much of the sun for days. But, it is $129 so I think I might just be happy with the car charger for both of those devices.

Anyone had a chance to use one of these yet? We are thinking of getting one for back packing. We already have a jetboil, but the fuel is expensive and extra weight.

Mt Rider I am not sure about your pellet stove blower but by itself this is a very nice unit for outside usage and charging cell phones. I like it because it will burn bits of wood and in my area this would be very nice to have for emergencies too. Is small and compact too.

There certainly are ways to power your blower motor with 12 dc v methods but it does require a little research and a bit of mechanical skills to adapt it. I would do that as a separate project but this particular stove is a beauty of a unit it looks like if one can afford it.

I would not want to sit and feed it twigs for hours just to charge a phone. I'd rather put my money into a solar charger so it could be charging phones and batteries for lights, while I did other work. You can make a tiny wood cook stove out of found materials to do a little cooking and save the funds for the solar.

Use a hobo stove and the Hot Pot?

Interesting concept, Arby. Make a closed system of the heat from the pellet stove producing the energy needed to power the pellet stove.... :scratchhead: Wonder if there's a way to work that? Above my pay grade of science/electronics tho... :rolleyes:

Trouble with solar....it charges really slow in some locations and not at all under some obvious weather conditions..... I have a small solar charger for D,C, AA, AAA batteries. But that's not for USB devices.

MtRider -- not in my budget range but like the concept. Communications are so vital in emergencies!!!

Edited by Mt_Rider
spellin'

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.