MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hey Mt. Rider

:wave: I was just thinking today of how everyone from the Gathering [except those who have raised these kinds of dogs] would drop their mouth open in surprise at how HUGE she's grown. She grows the legs and gets disproportionate and then her hips and shoulders grow. When she lays down like a sphinx, her shoulder blades stick out so far they look like wings! :lol: THEN the body of her kinda catches up and for a day or two she's all put together nicely. ...then it starts again with a shoot of growth in the legs. Fascinating to watch. Good thing she's SO flexible cuz she's all floppity and clumsy due to the fast growth. I swear she eats as much as BigDog used to.

The hay bales in her 'playpen' [the 10X20' chain link enclosure that was my alleged garden this summer] are her romper room playground. She flies around and jams her nose into the hole she's dug between two bales, then tears off to leap onto a far off bale. Sometimes she lands gracefully as Princess of the Mountain. Other times she slams into the side of the bale cuz her legs just didn't quite coordinate. Undaunted, she scrambles up so fast she might topple clean over the other side.

Speaking of toppling over.....DH and I laugh till we're almost falling down ourselves. She is a joy, that's for sure. Fortunately for us 'old folk' her reign of hay-bale-terror has limits. Pretty soon she's sprawled out flat in the livingroom and is in a coma for an hour or two. Actually tho, she already sleeps "with one eye open". She always knows when I pass thru the room. Even if it looks like she couldn't move if she had to... :0327:

I had a sudden 'shock-type meltdown' this evening. I was in the kitchen and accidently bit down hard on the inside of my mouth. OW! But it shocked my nerves and I went down to the floor [before I fell down] moaning. That upset her - doubly so cuz we keep a low barricade up so she stays out of the kitchen area. [if I trip over her in that tiny space, it would be bad for both parties!!!] My brain had really FIZZED and I wasn't going to be standing up anytime soon. She eventually became so upset that she was barking....confused about what was happening and what she should do. :lol: Maxim for dogs: When it doubt, bark at it! It made me smile.

I did manage to inch over to the barrier and drop my hand across it. After licking it, she lay down on her side and just hung out with me. .....Yeah, this is part of what my Koa ["protector/defender warrior"] will need to learn to do for me. Eventually, when she's grown, she'll help me to stand up again. "Hold!" is a command to brace wide with all four legs and stiffen so I can haul myself up. BigDog did that one command instinctually. That, and "Pull!" when I needed propulsion-assistance like going UP our stairs or hillsides. Most other things, she didn't really catch on. I have every confidence that Koa will learn many things.

She weighed about 14 lbs when we left GA near the end of Oct. Yesterday, I lifted her to weigh her and nearly dropped her 35 lb self! THEN I taught her to get up into the cab of the truck by walking up a wide board I placed. I used the cardboard packaging for butter to lure her up and down. ...she gets to chew up all our paper/cardboard before I throw it away. :lol: She's willing to do many things and catches on easily. She remembered the ramp this morning and I didn't have to lift her. Still having back problems and I had to find another way! She's a TANK! :):wub:

She and the cat have come to an agreement. If she doesn't JUMP AND WIGGLE AND LEAP anywhere near the cat [12.5 yrs old]....then she doesn't get HISSSSED at. At least they don't have to be separated like with BigDog. [bD always wanted to EAT the cat <_< ] So it's a real improvement for peace and harmony in this tiny house! Whew! I think eventually, they'll settle in even better. Cat's just feeling old and invaded. She'll get over it. And I think she flaunts her ability to get into the kitchen when puppy can not. :P Correction: Puppy COULD easily get thru the short barrier now - it's only one of those expanding screens for windows without full screening. But until she actually thinks to try it....we're not telling her! :grinning-smiley-044:

DH is, of course, :wub: What can I say? He's always loved dogs and a cute lil' pup that adores you.... Heehee. When DH lays on the floor with Koa, she is quite persistent in licking the bald spot on the back of his head. I've yet to catch a photo of that maneuver!

But....um, as for pics..... Lemme see if I even remember how to download the pics that have filled my memory stick on my camera. I had a magnificent sight today and no room on the camera memory. Aauugh! Twenty-six ELK [cows and this year's calves] traipsed thru our land and across the road. Wow! They are so huge! I'd never seen anywhere close to that large a group before. i was SO disappointed that I couldn't even get a couple shots of them. :yar: {Ahem...I did say 'OF them'...not 'AT them'! :P Can you imagine the meat elk hunters bring home! Whoooeeee! }

Note to self: Ya suppose you can remember to download the camera tomorrow????? :grinning-smiley-044:

MtRider -----So...that's my report on the 'new baby' :wub:

{Ahem...I did say 'OF them'...not 'AT them'! :P

Argh! You are supposed to get a permit, and shoot them! That's free and tasty meat on the hoof there! You have the tools....

Just sayin'...

Watching them grow is soooo fun! Absolutely hilarious at times. Training her to be of service to you is wonderful. We should probably spend more time doing that will Abby but we get so much fun out of her antics that we have just let her be our "baby-girl"...alas, pampered pet? She's a year old today so perhaps this would be a good time to make a decision on training her for more service related jobs? We're both over 60 (even though in immaculate health) and someday will enjoy her knowing how to help us if the need arises. She's weighing in at about 75# now and is extremely strong (because of her hiking with us & her Lab/Aussie breed) and though a bit "leggy" still is beginning to fill out. Anyway...still waiting for some of those pics of your baby-Koa!

MtRider staggers into the forum again...... Wha' 'appened? :blink:

Ahem, attempt #2 to post some pics. I figured it out last time but that was before we changed boards.... yike!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

----An aside to Vic re: ELK .....um, yeah! :yum3: But ya can't shoot here in our 'rural subdivision' even if we could GET a tag. They're hard to get. Kind of a [likely 'fixed' ] lottery system. :( But post-hooey.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------

OK...pics???

Um...no, it's stuck. Cancel and try again....

Edited by Mt_Rider

Try #3..... :rolleyes:

Well poooo! The arrow thingie just goes round and round and round and round and .......

We are supposed to use the Attach Files thing below this box, right?

I TRIED, Philbe! :scratchhead:

MtRider ----acheiving the Techno-Inept award :darlenequeen: