MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Prepping in 2013

These past few weeks I have been doing inventory of my pantry and stores. We have used way more than I thought...ok so the freezer and contents stayed in NC with son and dil and a lot of the canned goods went to both sons. I only brought about half of my storage with me. I have really have not restocked since we have been here and well it is pretty well depleted. I probably only have 5-6 weeks max and that has me NERVOUS!

I have started my list of what I want to buy each week and am planning accordingly.

I can't find the kind of coffee hubby likes so it will have to be ordered. I want to move away from canned goods and prepackaged stuff like onion soup, and other powdered mixes. I need to stock wheat but not sure what kind of wheat I want purchase. I have to consider one family member that is gluten intolerant.

I want to dry my own fruits and veggies and not spend the money for freeze dried veggies and fruits.

I am rethinking how I store, what I store and how much I store.

Are you planning on making changes in 2013? If so what changes to plan on making?

Fiddlesticks! Just lost everything I had typed...so, I guess I'll start prepping by doing a copy every once in while, just in case I get booted out from inactivity! I'll post later...right now frustrated!

(((((((Philbe))))))) That has happened to me too many times too.

This year I canned more than I ever had before. I don't know what got into me but I'm still not finished. I suppose I had a couple of thoughts in mind:

1.) Opening a jar is so easy.

2.) Canned food doesn't take a lot of water to prepare. The fruit already has a lot of liquid in it to drink.

3.) Some people wouldn't want to eat home canned food. I think 'they' might think it isn't as good, safe or clean as store bought can goods.

I'm also going to do some 'meals in a jar' too. Except I'm going to put them in mylar bags and seal them in a bucket. If I ever have to bug out, I can grab a bucket. I imagine it will be pretty lightweight.

My changes for 2013 prepping:

* more water and water purification methods

* meals in mylar bags -- the issue is my picky eaters, so I am going to go through the Chef Tess recipes and tweak them

* I also really want to learn to can meat this winter. prices are going bonkers and I think it would be more easy to use than the freeze dried (and I am thinking more affordable too). Space is an issue with this, so I am going to see if my mother will allow me to store it at her house.

* medical issues - I have some fish taken care of ;) but just enough for a few. I need to be more focused on what some alternatives for my husband's asthma would be, as well as general care and needs.

* focus on the communications angle more -- I received the ham radio book I ordered, so I am going to set time aside to learn more with that. I am soooo not techy, so this will be a real challenge, but I feel it's necessary

* moving -- this is a need, as well as a want. However, if we end up in a safer, more rural area (as I want so badly to do), I know for a fact it will solely be at the hand of the Lord, because right now we simply cannot afford the proper prepping local that I envision (even in its most basic form). I'm giving this one totally up to the Lord because I know He is the only One who can bring it about.

* cutting back on spending to diver that money toward paying off the car and loan we have, and also to more prep items. I wish I could convince dh to not use the credit card so much -- I do pay it off every month, but at times it's hard to do. He's not buying crazy stuff, but he is far more free with money than I am -- for example if he goes to the store, he will pick up what he wants, regardless of the price, again, not gold chains or anything, but the smaller things add up -- like meat he picks up, he doesn't look at price per pound, just at what he thinks looks good. Things like that.

* also, I am going to work on the mental preparedness ... the news is stressing me out majorly, and I am feeling torn in differnet directions. I want to be in a prepared mode, not panic. This will take time and effort, but I do think I can do it.

OK...here I go again! Some of our 2013 projects will probably be:

1. Add 4 more squares to our square foot garden (after we move it to a large part of our yardage).

2. Teach son how to manage Mels Mix in a square foot garden system etc.

3. Get the Little House sold so we can start RV more...before & after harvest.

4. Locate two larger and lighter BOB's. After we brought down 3 more totes from Little House, I got a good dose of Mountain Man's "gear" that he had accumulated. He was a mountain climber, kayaker, camper, and somewhat of a survivalist and has tons of stuff that we can incorporate into our BOB's. Abby's BOB is her backpack and she can carry a few days worth of her food.

5. Since I wear contact lenses, I need to get new regular glasses to replace my 2 year old ones in case I need to wear them. And

Mountain Man needs a new pair too.

6. Both of us need to get back on a regular dental cleaning program! We've let it slip, and just did our own flossing & picking etc.

7. Bring the other shelving units into the new "pantry" bedroom along with all the canned flats. Still prefer buying cans since we're planning to be so mobile, but will do alot of dehydrating at harvest time.

8. Like Jeepers I'm planning to put together some meals in mylar bag & put them in a 3 or 4 buckets...so we also can "grab and go" if we need to.

9. And...wouldn't it be wonderful if we could get this house sold too! We'd transfer our pantry to the Homestead House, jump in our travel trailer and head for a long, long, long vacation. Coming back only for harvest and leaving when it's done!

10. Both of us want to lose the 4 & 5 pounds we've gained over the holidays!

We are focusing on two large (re.expensive) projects in the first six months of this year. We Are going to try to get a large barn built and high fence our property (also for privacy). Once I get those two things done, I can get on with several smaller projects that I would like to accomplish this year, like a new garden, lots of berries planted, lots of new fruit trees planted and an outdoor kitchen built IF I can get all of that done, it will have been a very successful year.

Luma...WM carries "Asthmanephrine"...over the counter. Will do in emergency situations. I bought a box for our emergency needs...and neither of us have any upper respiratory problems...but...if one were to catch a cold, flu or pneumonia, they might need something like this. It's too expensive for me to carry more than the "starter kit" right now, it has the inhaler & batteries etc. Looks like what COPD patients use when they use their nebulizers. Cost? About $26 for the starter, and then there's refills in a big box for about $40+.

???

For anyone who needs a few backup pairs of prescription glasses, have you tried www.zennioptical.com? I have no relationship with them other than being a satisfied customer. Their most basic prescription glasses cost $8 per pair. You go to your regular optometrist for the prescription then go online and select your frames (from a bunch of different priced options), enter all your info, and then order them online. The only different piece of info you need to ask your dr for is the pupillary distance (or if you forget, your family can measure it for you with a ruler, like I had to).

My dd and dh get them all the time. Our optometrist checked them and said they were as good as any others he had seen. For $8 per pair, we could get extra pairs for the BOB's. My dd likes a little fancier frame and the photogray so hers run around $25 per pair. Still a good deal.

Edited by hillfarm

I use the Asthamanephrine for my asthma, the machine uses AA batteries, and it eats those batteries. Two, it's hard to transport. You need to keep it straight, or the stuff leaks out. 2-3 puffs is supposed to be enough for each attack but there's enough for 3-4 uses in each little packet so take this into consideration. Also the machine itself can be wonky. The first one I bought only lasted two months before it stopped working! If you can afford a second back up in your preps, do so!

Its better than nothing for OTC but trust me it is no replacement for the old Primatene inhalers. :(

My small prep group are getting our ham licenses first thing this year so we can keep in contact.

Next, I am running out of storage room. My spare bedroom pantry is just about at it's max. I have been dehydrating more to save space.

Also am gonna be canning in much smaller jars, like 4 oz jars for many things as home canned food does not last as long as commercially canned food because it doesn't have preservatives in it. I can't use a 1/2 pint of catsup or applesauce, etc at one time and have had to throw alot away.

Buying more silver.

Paying down debt....sigh

.Buy bigger galvanized garbage can for larger faraday cage.

Figure out what we need to do solar hot water.

Edited by CoM

here is something of interest....................

As you know we just had another big storm and days before evryone was running around 'trying' to get supplies and food "in case the power when out. People keep asking us IF we had gone out to "stock up" and we tell them no- we have been 'stocked up' for years! IF we have a few more storms like this Yard Saling next year will be great! People buy things and then when not needed put them away and then put in yard sales cheap to get rid of them. Only to have to go out and buy again next year when the storms come back?

=== SIDEBAR ===

One funny part of this is how many people get food to cook in the microwave when the power goes out because they can't light the gas stove because of the electric starter? Don't they know that they will NOT be able to use the microwave and you CAN start your gas stove with a match and it will work just fine!

:AmishMichael2:

=== SIDEBAR ===

One funny part of this is how many people get food to cook in the microwave when the power goes out because they can't light the gas stove because of the electric starter? Don't they know that they will NOT be able to use the microwave and you CAN start your gas stove with a match and it will work just fine!

:AmishMichael2:

I am always amazed if/when I end up in the store and people are panic buying. It is interesting what ends up in their shopping carts. Usually I am just there for TP or cat/dog food I NEVER buy milk and bread when their is a storm. We are weather watchers so if I know I am going to run low on something I always go 2-3 days before the panic buying starts.

As for the stove that is main reason we went with gas instead of electric. Our house is wired for either and since we are new to this area and I don't know how reliable the power is during storms I figured if nothing else I could cook and we would have a secondary source of heat.

Edited by mommato3boys

We would like to become more sustainable during 2013. The last two years, we learned to make our own maple syrup. We'd like to build a semi-permanent sugar house and try to combine it with a wood-fired food dehydrator and build a storage shed. We also need a wood shed.

DS and I started a list of things we need in different categories such as medical, gardening, food preservation, household, etc. We need to prioritize the list and start getting the items. We are also working on declutter so we have room for the things we need and get rid of the things we don't need.

We have been switching to open pollinated vegetables and learning to save seed from different ones. We've planted more fruit trees and bushes. We want to learn how to better care for them.

We also want to learn more and experiment with wild edibles. We attended a seminar in October on this topic. It was fascinating! We got to taste several different wild foods. You can go to the lady's web site: wildblessings.com

Sometimes I feel panicky when I look at the list and see how much there is to get or do but I have to trust God and just keep plugging away.

Today a stainless steel serving tray I'd ordered came in. It feels dinkier than described, but what I want to do tomorrow is test it with my new big linear Fresnel lens, reflecting the concentrated light onto the bottom of a frying pan. If I can fry with clear skies in the fifties, this set up will be my go-to method for cooking without electricity. I want to practice enough to become proficient in this kind of cooking.

My sons have asked that I stop working on stocks of cheaper, bulkier food and focus higher on the hog. Okay, if they're willing to accommodate the increased cost. Today I got Kirkland canned roast beef in gravy, some cartons of hash browns that--as it turns out--only I like, and a pound of Hoosier Hill Farm powdered sour cream.

I have played around a little with the 52 jar deal, and achieved totally mediocre results. I plan to expand greatly on these baby steps. Seems like a good use for the dried hash browns, anyway.

I am buying a new 16-qt pressure canner, and will then attend the pressure canning class I dropped out of a few months back. I want to learn to can meat and get decent results. The beef I canned before was edible, but I didn't trust it to be shelf-stable and sure enough one of the canned jars of meat molded. I hope to learn how to achieve much better results.

The older hens will be replaced. Since neither set of eggs I picked up resulted in a hatch, I'll buy chicks. I am still considering bantams, but I'm also looking at taking in a new dog (one who has never known my ex) and I am anxious about how well those dainty little banties might defend themselves. Either way, I can't get them until probably April, so they won't be laying until fall. Yes, I have set down a schedule of buying powdered eggs until then.

I want to enter Penguin's mystery-writing contest this coming April, the one I've been thinking for months had an October deadline. This is a prep because the prize is $10k, and I could buy a lot of freeze dried meat for that. Since this gives me basically three months to write, I need to get off the pot and draft about 500 keeper words a day. Did over 600 yesterday evening, but haven't done any today. (Spent seven hours--not all in one stretch--at the hospital with DS1 today. He's okay but I'm wiped out.)

About a third of the garlic has sprouted. My turmeric that I thought never sprouted is indeed what this unidentified plant is. Either that or I've discovered a new and powerful yellow dye root. But it got frost-struck last night and is trying to die on me. I want to find out how to keep it alive. Being a turmeric and garlic producer, as well as a ginger and galangal producer, would just make me feel so much more secure in 2013 and beyond.

Yesterday my grocery run focused on coupons and avoiding the convenience foods. You ever notice how many coupons are for convenience foods, as opposed to real foods/ingredients? The subtotal before coupons was somewhere above $50 and the price with coupons was exactly $23. I want to do this more often.

In 2013, I want to build a relationship with a small scale butcher I've heard of in the next county, and obtain a regular source of grass-fed soup bones, tallow, and variety meats. I want to learn to can tongue. Is this Violet-approved?

There's more, I'm sure. I'm just too tired to think of it.

I'll be working on living on less in order to put aside a little more cash. Also, I've been slacking on my mixes (cookie mixes, bread mixes, etc) and want to get those back up to speed. I'm also going to be working on my garden. Last year's garden was pretty lousy and I really want to do better this year. In order to achieve that goal, I need to use the easiest and most foolproof (Martian-proof) methods. I'm also starting to cook meals ahead for the freezer.

We have a business lot in a lower, warmer elevation level than we live, so this summer I'll plant what I want to can on the back area of the lot and hook up a watering line for it. The property has fenced cows behind it, so it should be a safe place to put a garden.

My changes for 2013 prepping:

* more water and water purification methods

* meals in mylar bags -- the issue is my picky eaters, so I am going to go through the Chef Tess recipes and tweak them

* I also really want to learn to can meat this winter. prices are going bonkers and I think it would be more easy to use than the freeze dried (and I am thinking more affordable too). Space is an issue with this, so I am going to see if my mother will allow me to store it at her house.

* medical issues - I have some fish taken care of ;) but just enough for a few. I need to be more focused on what some alternatives for my husband's asthma would be, as well as general care and needs.

* focus on the communications angle more -- I received the ham radio book I ordered, so I am going to set time aside to learn more with that. I am soooo not techy, so this will be a real challenge, but I feel it's necessary

* moving -- this is a need, as well as a want. However, if we end up in a safer, more rural area (as I want so badly to do), I know for a fact it will solely be at the hand of the Lord, because right now we simply cannot afford the proper prepping local that I envision (even in its most basic form). I'm giving this one totally up to the Lord because I know He is the only One who can bring it about.

* cutting back on spending to diver that money toward paying off the car and loan we have, and also to more prep items. I wish I could convince dh to not use the credit card so much -- I do pay it off every month, but at times it's hard to do. He's not buying crazy stuff, but he is far more free with money than I am -- for example if he goes to the store, he will pick up what he wants, regardless of the price, again, not gold chains or anything, but the smaller things add up -- like meat he picks up, he doesn't look at price per pound, just at what he thinks looks good. Things like that.

* also, I am going to work on the mental preparedness ... the news is stressing me out majorly, and I am feeling torn in differnet directions. I want to be in a prepared mode, not panic. This will take time and effort, but I do think I can do it.

I just saw something for alternatives and medical issues, I can't remember where but asthma stuck out in my mind because I have exercised induced, DH had is as a kid and both DS 1&2 have problems with it on occasion. They actually recommended taking a few altoids. Now I have to go back and remember where I saw it because it was interested. Maybe I pinned it on pinterest.

I just saw something for alternatives and medical issues, I can't remember where but asthma stuck out in my mind because I have exercised induced, DH had is as a kid and both DS 1&2 have problems with it on occasion. They actually recommended taking a few altoids. Now I have to go back and remember where I saw it because it was interested. Maybe I pinned it on pinterest.

I saw the same article but I don't remember where. You are correct the article stated for a mild asthma attack or that tight feeling in your chest from the on set of an asthma attack "IF" you do not have access to an inhaler pop a couple of Altoids in your mouth. The strong peppermint will open up your passage ways.

Edited to add....

Ok this is not the article I read but it is close to it...

http://www.lovelyish.com/770544130/13-ways-to-use-household-products-to-cure-everyday-ailments/

Edited by mommato3boys