MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

New equipment

CoM

I recently bought a used laptop in great condition to have for after SHTF. I am sooo tired of printing out info. I have (6) 4" binders jammed full of "How To" articles. I have spent sooo much time reformatting to Word, buyiing ink and paper.

From now on I put everything on a flash drive.

I purchased this solar car battery charger to keep any battery charged and will plug this inverter into it to have to power up the laptop. It is also powerful enough (1500 watts) to power small tools such as drills, etc if needed.

http://www.amazon.co...battery charger

battcharger_zpsfa2e25c2.jpg

http://www.amazon.co...ywords=inverter

inverter_zpsfa4186c2.jpg

You have to do a bit of research to see what this will power. It's not for daily use, just ocassional . You also have to have heavy gauge wire to connect it to battery and an inline fuse installed.

Well the solar panel description left out the most important info. It didn't say how much actual power the thing produces. I've never seen one of those that would actually power much of anything, not even a cell phone. They are just too small. What kind of battery are you talking about using with it? Your inverter can only power something if there is sufficient charge on a large enough battery. Hate to pop your bubble, but I figure best to say something now than to let you get to where it is your only option and you discover it is completely inadequate to the task at hand.

^ What CGA says.

That is actually a common question from our students. Most enclaves do not have 'english' electric. Our 'canned' answer is to grab a laptop with a dvd reader drive, and insure the laptop is 12V dc. Then make a cable w/clips for a 12v car battery. The solar charger can keep the battery up when the computer is not in use. Another tip is to parallel jumper cables from a running vehicle to the battery to be charged (like a 'jump start'). An hour or so is good. TIP: Many old military CUPVs (?) (Dodge Power Wagon) had a small solar panel mounted in the passenger dashboard to keep the battery charged: quite powerful, rugged, and cheap!

On usb/flash/thumbdrives, ditto. They simply do not have a long term stable storage ability. They are VERY sensitive to electrical/magnetic fields.

Now, thumbs backed up with cd/dvd copies, that works quite well.

Sarah

Well the solar panel description left out the most important info. It didn't say how much actual power the thing produces. I've never seen one of those that would actually power much of anything, not even a cell phone. They are just too small. What kind of battery are you talking about using with it? Your inverter can only power something if there is sufficient charge on a large enough battery. Hate to pop your bubble, but I figure best to say something now than to let you get to where it is your only option and you discover it is completely inadequate to the task at hand.

Maybe I didn't clearly explain what I plan to do. These solar panels for a car battery do not charge a dead battery. They only keep a trickle charge on a good battery preventing a sitting battery from going dead.

If we won't be able to get gas we can still keep a car battery or a golf cart battery, etc charged. then you hook the inverter to the battery. It converts the DC battery power to AC power. ( just like an inverter in a travel trailer does). You then can plug ac electrical appliances into it. Depending on the size (wattage) of the inverter determines what appliances you can run on it.

I plan to use it to plug my laptop into it (via ac cord) to use and to charge the laptop battery among other tools such as a drill, etc.

I have done extensive research into this to make sure I got one powerful enough to run a few ac things off of it.

Hon, the inverter is fine. However, unless you find a better source of power to charge that battery you are going to kill it. It will draw down MUCH faster than that little solar panel can recharge it and you can only draw a battery down below half a few times without totally ruining it. The trickle charger does not replace any sort of draw on a battery. It only replaces normal 'seepage' for want of a better word.

Look at batteries and see what their amp hours are. Then look at your items you will be using and see what the draw is. Remember (*very* important) that amp hours for ac is NOT the same as the dc battery amp hours. You also will lose a portion of your charge thru the inefficiency of the inverter.

http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/Watt_to_Amp_Calculator.htm

Here is a calculator to convert your amps so you can see if your battery is large enough.

BTW, I lived several yrs off grid in Colorado with solar electric.