MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Not a good day for kitties

DD's kitty on Christmas night was in the closet meowing when we went to bed. I thought he was locked in. She let him out and the next morning he was limping. I gave him until today to see if he had maybe just stepped on something and had a sore foot. He was still limping so we dropped him off at the vet. When she called, he had broken his elbow and she recommended amputation. DD didn't take the news well. She's afraid that tomorrow when they operate, that something will go wrong. :( I'll be glad when this year is over.

Aww. Cat's do fine on three limbs. It will learn to adapt quite rapidly and be just as much a delight to your DD. Poor kitty. I am glad you took it into the vet, because it did turn out much more serious than we tend to think with just a limp going on. This way the cat will be treated and feel so much better. DD may be worrying too much, I am hoping rather than pre-cog about this matter! Will add this little soon to be 3 footed creature to my prayer list. Hugs to you and DD.

In retrospect, amputation would have been much better than the series of major surgeries to which we subjected our poor kitten. He had to spend months confined, which wouldn't have happened with the amputation. As it turned out, those months were the majority of his short life.